Author Topic: General questions  (Read 103 times)

Offline Alfred96

• Single posting newcomer
General questions
« on: November 06, 2018, 03:14:00 pm »
Hi there. Pretty soon I'll be starting a project that I need to compile for Linux. I don't have any real experience with Linux although I've been programming for Windows for over 10 years. I'm looking for an IDE that will give me similar functionality to MS Visual Studio and Code::Blocks is one of the products that's been mentioned to me. I just wondered about the following things:-

1) Will Code::Blocks allow me to do source level debugging of C++ apps (i.e. setting break points and stepping through the source code, line-by-line) ?
2) Does it have its own built-in compiler or does it use an external utility, such as 'Make' ?
3) Is it compatible with Scons? (Scons is an enhanced form of Make)
4) Does it have syntax highlighting - either using a built-in editor or via an external editor?

Thanks,

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: General questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 08:38:56 am »
1. Not as good as VStudio, but it is usable
2. You're mixing the terms, but yes C::B has both an internal build system and a way to call external ones.
3. Yes, search for custom makefiles
4. Yes. We use the scintilla editor component (it is the same used in notepad++)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]