Author Topic: CodeBlocks sucks  (Read 35714 times)

Offline bcc32x

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: CodeBlocks sucks
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 03:37:20 pm »
CB's parser sometimes stop working when switching between applications using task bar. I have to refresh the project for it to reparse the whole thing so hopefully it started to provide code completion again. The previous time I don't know that, now living with this inconvenient, hope it to be fixed soon. Where is our next major release or we will have to wait to end of the year for CB 19.12? I see CB is losing for CodeLite.

Offline bcc32x

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 07:01:30 am »
Never mind, I switched to Cevelop (Eclipse CDT) and waiting for Apache Netbeans official C++ support. Meanwhile on platforms Eclipse and Netbeans not yet ported to I will use CodeLite. Bye. 8)

Offline gib

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 03:08:54 am »
I read this thread because I always find it amusing (sort of...) when people complain aggressively about free software.  (The horrible usage "sucks" suggests that the OP is a young person, which is consistent with the entitled tone of the post.)
CodeBlocks is not perfect, but it is still bloody terrific, and I'm very grateful to the developers.

Offline gtafan

• Almost regular
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 11:27:12 am »
I read this thread because I always find it amusing (sort of...) when people complain aggressively about free software.  (The horrible usage "sucks" suggests that the OP is a young person, which is consistent with the entitled tone of the post.)
CodeBlocks is not perfect, but it is still bloody terrific, and I'm very grateful to the developers.
The only problem is CodeBlocks is dead, I mean there are no releas since very long, but about the rest I agree.

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 06:26:46 pm »
Dead would mean there is no development.  There was a nightly build from earlier this month.

Offline gtafan

• Almost regular
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 12:46:15 pm »
Dead would mean there is no development.  There was a nightly build from earlier this month.
Already had that discusion, nightly builds are really something only for a smal comunity with advanced programming skills. So let say so for the small comunity, mentioned befor, CodeBlocks is still alive, but but for the rest it´s dead.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2019, 12:58:51 pm »
nightly builds are really something only for a smal comunity with advanced programming skills

If merging three zips in a folder needs "advanced programming skills" something is really dead, probably a brain.

Offline gtafan

• Almost regular
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2019, 01:50:13 pm »
nightly builds are really something only for a smal comunity with advanced programming skills

If merging three zips in a folder needs "advanced programming skills" something is really dead, probably a brain.
You forgot, that nightly builds contain no compiler, so you need to do all that anoing stuff, to make CodeBlocks worck with the compiler you have and that compiler must be installed to.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Lusers
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2019, 03:08:53 pm »

You forgot, that nightly builds contain no compiler, so you need to do all that anoing stuff, to make CodeBlocks worck with the compiler you have and that compiler must be installed to.

But, that does not require advanced skills.
It likely does require knowing the path of the installed compiler and the ability to cut and paste.
And, the ability to do simple GUI tasks like clicking on buttons in the toolchain configuration.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2019, 01:46:29 am »
That about sums up my thoughts on it.  It's not like you have to build it from source code, which actually is more complicated.  My MinGW installation can't even do it, it crashes during the build process.

It's not hard to have a real compiler installation that is in your PATH environment variable.  If you can't manage that, you need to grapple more with intermediate computer usage before worrying about software development.

Offline gtafan

• Almost regular
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 02:47:48 pm »
That about sums up my thoughts on it.  It's not like you have to build it from source code, which actually is more complicated.  My MinGW installation can't even do it, it crashes during the build process.

It's not hard to have a real compiler installation that is in your PATH environment variable.  If you can't manage that, you need to grapple more with intermediate computer usage before worrying about software development.
Wait, my english is really really bad, but doesn´t the word nightly build mean, that I have to build it?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 04:34:45 pm »
Wait, my english is really really bad, but doesn´t the word nightly build mean, that I have to build it?
No, YOU do not have to build it (at least for major OS)... Nightly means they are build "during the night". There are provided "official" builds for windows, and some user provide "unofficial builds" for debian and mac... So you can simply download them (for major OS)...

[Edit:] You could at least try to read the nightly forum. An i NEVER have seen any "nightly build" that you have to build yourself...

Offline gtafan

• Almost regular
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 12:55:18 pm »
No, YOU do not have to build it (at least for major OS)... Nightly means they are build "during the night". There are provided "official" builds for windows, and some user provide "unofficial builds" for debian and mac... So you can simply download them (for major OS)...

[Edit:] You could at least try to read the nightly forum. An i NEVER have seen any "nightly build" that you have to build yourself...
Like I said my english is very bad, so misunderstandings can be expected.

Offline codelighter

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2019, 01:03:17 pm »
Complain is cheap and meaningless! If you don't like it, do it yourself! Until now, Code::Blocks has been my favorite free C++ IDE for more than 8 Years! I'm always very grateful to the authors for their hard work!  ;D