Author Topic: CodeBlocks sucks  (Read 35900 times)

Offline bcc32x

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: CodeBlocks sucks
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 01:42:08 pm »
The problem with linking the dll I solved on my mate's computer. Create a subdir and add this dir to search dir instead of the project's root, select the dll anyway (choose all file) and it's ok. I'm sorry you good guy because it's my bad, I don't want to be troller and spammer or any kind of bad guy here. Other complains of me remains, though. Please revisit it and if you can fix it in the next major release. I'm looking for it. Now I'm happy with DevC++. I'll quit this forum a time.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 04:01:32 pm »
What is my goal, huh? Making people to think me as bad guy or troller, spammer pleased you? I hope you pleased.
You started with the unproductive aggression.

The time I post the snippet above to reproduce the problem, I already removed C::B, how could I give you build log?
Reinstall CodeBlocks for example?
As you've said it:
It's very straight forward. Download...

8) ::) :P ;D
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 05:21:03 pm »
if they can update the Borland 5.5 template to support Borland 10. The work is trivial,
Sadly this is not trivial for me:
1) Download the compiler
1.1) Register to download the compiler (sry, this is a no go for me, i hate registrations)
1.2) Setup the compiler and let spam your system with registry entries and other things (This is also a thing i don't like, spamming my PATH variable)
2) Download VR resource compiler
2.1) Register at microsoft (ugh...)
2.2) Download the full msvc build environment (UGHUGHGUH)
2.3) Install the full msvc build environment (TOTAL NO GO FOR ME, because i have only ~6GB of space left on my hardwarei do not want to waste it for microsoft)
3) Research the command lines
4) Research the error messages and write a regex parser for it (i am not that good ad regexp)
5) Setup codeblocks
6) Test all

I think step 1->2 you have already done (the big NO GO for me). So if you provide us with the command line the compiler needs we will tell you exactly how to set up codeblocks to accept it
If you tell us the error messages we will tell you how to set up the error parser
If all works on your machine, we will tell you how to provide a patch to upstream so we can incorporate it to codeblocks...

It's very straight forward. Download freepascal compiler and type fpc LibTest.pas then you've the dll, I provided step by step what I do.
See staps 1..2 above

I complain your default shipped TDM-GCC because it's broken
it was not broken at time the devs build the shipment. At this time it was the State of the art...

why you don't bundle the new MinGW already?
Building, uploading a new bundle is A LOT more work then going to
Settings->Compiler->Toolchain executables->Compiler installation directory

Indeed it's not fast like you said, you've to provide the MinGW installation dir and remove all of the mingw32- prefix to only left gcc, g++ not mingw32-gcc or mingw32-g++.
I do not understand this sentence. I do not think the mingw installation was changed in any part...

It has wasted me more then 10 hours search over the net because I don't want to ask on this forum.
You could have minimized this time to 1h if you have asked... As you see i try to provide a easy Step to step quide to any of your problems and questions

My problem is not compiler or linker because if I copy the full command like of, gcc, g++ to terminal and it run fine (miraculously). Only inside C::B it has problem, this is C::B error, don't blame the compiler.
Nice for you! Provide us with the command line and we tell you step by step how to set it up in codeblocks. Don't blame codeblocks if you don't know how to use it. We are here to provide you with help... As I said above codeblocks is complex and you need time to learn it...

Other complains of me remains,
I am still not fully aware of this problems... If you are talking about the compiler problems: the next release will contain an up to date compiler (if any).
If you are talking about the non functioning path settings you have to provide a more detailed description to reproduce. The steps you described work for me as far as i understand. I think we both are not native english speaker, so the language barrier is going between us also, so please try to use as easy and simple steps as possible. The best way would be something like this:
1) Create a new c++ project
2) Go to Project->Build options->Search directories...
ecc...
If you are talking about the dll wizard: If you select "c" at the beginning of the wizard, it will create a c dll like you need, if you select c++ it will generate a c++ library. I tested this at the moment, and all works as expected. If you have found something different please post it here...

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 10:45:51 pm »

It does work, but the default C++ support is not C++11, it's older. You can turn on C++11 in compiler settings (project-build options-compiler flags), and even 14, but I think 14 is experimental in that version of TDM. But when you turn on "have gcc follow C++11 standard" flag things like std::to_string does work. Usually what happens is that compilers or IDEs or any tools or programs aren't broken, you are. Fix yourself and trust me, you'll become a better person and a better programmer.

Offline bcc32x

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 09:20:15 am »

It does work, but the default C++ support is not C++11, it's older. You can turn on C++11 in compiler settings (project-build options-compiler flags), and even 14, but I think 14 is experimental in that version of TDM. But when you turn on "have gcc follow C++11 standard" flag things like std::to_string does work. Usually what happens is that compilers or IDEs or any tools or programs aren't broken, you are. Fix yourself and trust me, you'll become a better person and a better programmer.

No it not works: 'to_string' is not a member of 'std'
You should check c++ std status on GNU site: https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/projects/cxx-status.html
The default TDM compiler really sucks. Don't blame everything on me. Don't try to teach me what to do what not to do, I don't care.

This forums really sucks. I can't even access it (even when not logged in) from google search result. isitdownrightnow.com always gives server down for more than ~7 days or not responding blah blah. You should reverse your words. Check yourself first, check this forums, not checking me. I spent time to search before ask. I didn't intended to waste time of anyone, just because I'm afraid and I'm very dislike mr. obfuscated attitude (which I see arrogant and childish, impolite) so I tried to avoid him. You know, he's the most active here aside from bluehazzard, when you post a new pic it's very likely he will be the one answering you, which I would rather have 0 reply than his answer   >:(

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:38:20 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 06:41:10 pm »
isitdownrightnow claims this forum is down even now as I am posting.  Clearly the forum is up and running, but potentially some ISPs are interfering with its access.

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 12:34:20 pm »
The default TDM compiler really sucks. Don't blame everything on me. Don't try to teach me what to do what not to do, I don't care.

That's strange, because std::to_string works if you turn on c++11 or newer flag. There might be some differences or bugs in other platforms (or 32 vs. 64 bit) though. But if that's the case then use another compiler for the features you need. You can shout at the compiler or IDE all you want, it doesn't help compiling the program. There is a kind of a problem when you use new C++ features, because lack of compiler support in older versions. You simply have to think about it when choosing the IDE/compiler for your project before you do anything else.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »

You should check c++ std status on GNU site: https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/projects/cxx-status.html

This forums really sucks. I can't even access it (even when not logged in) from google search result. isitdownrightnow.com always gives server down for more than ~7 days or not responding blah blah. You should reverse your words. Check yourself first, check this forums, not checking me. I spent time to search before ask. I didn't intended to waste time of anyone, just because I'm afraid and I'm very dislike mr. obfuscated attitude (which I see arrogant and childish, impolite) so I tried to avoid him. You know, he's the most active here aside from bluehazzard, when you post a new pic it's very likely he will be the one answering you, which I would rather have 0 reply than his answer   >:(

You need to enable -std=c++11 option to use std::to_string(). It is not enabled by default but one can easily enable it from Project > Build options > Compiler settings Bundled compiler may not be state of the art but not absolutely broken either.

There were issues with forum and website access. I also faced difficulty accessing forum.

Regarding your other issues - I'm sure some of them, if not all, can be solved as long as you explain them correctly. You need to help us to help you.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline bcc32x

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 06:50:53 pm »
isitdownrightnow claims this forum is down even now as I am posting.  Clearly the forum is up and running, but potentially some ISPs are interfering with its access.

The problem is somehow with the host provider codeblocks forum is using. My default DNS of ISP provider block forums.codeblocks.org but not the main site codeblocks.org (I just know by change to opendns). With the new DNS accessing the forums is easier but sometimes it's just down.

Offline bcc32x

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 06:53:19 pm »

That's strange, because std::to_string works if you turn on c++11 or newer flag. There might be some differences or bugs in other platforms (or 32 vs. 64 bit) though. But if that's the case then use another compiler for the features you need. You can shout at the compiler or IDE all you want, it doesn't help compiling the program. There is a kind of a problem when you use new C++ features, because lack of compiler support in older versions. You simply have to think about it when choosing the IDE/compiler for your project before you do anything else.

Embedded  TDM has error. If I use latest i686-posix-dwarf from MinGW64 (8.1.0) it's no problem. By default, since that version of GCC the default standard C++ is shifted from c98 to c11, you don't have to append -std=c++11.

Offline bcc32x

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »

You need to enable -std=c++11 option to use std::to_string(). It is not enabled by default but one can easily enable it from Project > Build options > Compiler settings Bundled compiler may not be state of the art but not absolutely broken either.

There were issues with forum and website access. I also faced difficulty accessing forum.

Regarding your other issues - I'm sure some of them, if not all, can be solved as long as you explain them correctly. You need to help us to help you.

Thank you. You're very kind. I like it.

I checked the same option but with std=c++14 (not 11)  :)

p/s: I'm still using CB now. Since it happily link my FPC compiled dll other problems are trivial  :)

Offline lesh

• Single posting newcomer
  • Allegedly retired...
    • Home page
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 03:36:12 pm »
For what it is worth, as a newcomer, I found CB excellent. I was looking for a sane alternative to Windows Visual Studio in order to write a Win32 graphical app. in C (I really can not stand C++). I find the layout and operation of CB logical and (reasonably) easy to follow. Project now complete - and many thanks to the originators.
Les. :)

Offline stringbean

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 05:03:13 am »
I downloaded CB yesterday, 1/1/19, and it worked for about an hour. I was following along with a C++ tutorial program on the internet and CB worked just fine. Fired up the computers and tried to continue where I had left off. But CB will not work. It presents a pretty picture of the Start Here - CB then; create new project; console application ; console welcome screen next ; C++ next ; Console indicates project title: I enter test then hit button NEXT ; GNU GCC Compiler NEXT ; and I get an error message = Couldn't create the project directory: C:\Users\test\ . This did not happen yesterday. What is wrong?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2019, 09:23:51 am »
c:\users\ is a special folder and probably you don't have permissions to write in it. Choose some other folder...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]