Author Topic: Question on cbSystemView - an SVD plugin  (Read 420 times)

Offline jimbo

• Multiple posting newcomer
Question on cbSystemView - an SVD plugin
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:33:15 pm »
Hi all,

Been looking at this plugin to display SVD information. Have a question, since I believe the author (BlueHazzard) is present on this forum.

I see from the readme that there is a specific branch recomended, but that recomendation was from a year ago, and I was wondering if the 17.12 version of CB (or a more recent branch from the upstream repo) has the required changes or whether I still need to use the non-upstream repo and branch. I'll be taking a look to see if I can determine this from commits, but would appreciate official advice!

Edit: What's the best way to get the latest source for CB? I see that obfuscated has a git clone of the subversion repo from SF and since I prefer git (ages since I used subversion) is that a good approach to use, or should I just use the SF SVN repo?

Regards

Jimbo

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:37:58 pm by jimbo »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Question on cbSystemView - an SVD plugin
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 01:02:09 pm »
No, the special branch is still needed, but i have not updated it since a while. I will try to bring it to a more bleeding edge state.

There are some tickets in the tracker to bringing the functionality to codeblocks trunk:
https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/619/ and
https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/543/

Offline jimbo

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 04:04:10 pm »
Thanks.

SVD support is a requirement for our proposed embedded microcontroller system, so having a standard plugin that works on a standard IDE is important. What are your expectations on this? Hopeful it will make it to the next CB release?

Jimbo

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 06:04:00 pm »
The memory watches stuff would probably be added to code::blocks, the pause related stuff probably won't and another mechanism should be used. Not sure when I'll find the time to review and push this stuff to trunk. :(
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline jimbo

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 04:56:02 pm »
No, the special branch is still needed, but i have not updated it since a while. I will try to bring it to a more bleeding edge state.

There are some tickets in the tracker to bringing the functionality to codeblocks trunk:
https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/619/ and
https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/543/

Struggling to get this working. Have built the required branch and plugin. I did need to comment out a line referencing cbEVT_DEBUGGER_CONTINUED, which makes me think the build isn't quite right, but I have set up the cb global to the correct directory on the special branch, so not sure where I have made a mistake.

I use --prefix on the configure to set up the new C::B in a local directory and run it from there, I'm wondering if thats the correct way of running a new build without overwriting the current installation. I do get some errors on startup which again makes me think either I am building it or running it incorrectly.

Get loads of errors on C::B startup once pluging installed, mostly unable to insert items in to a task bar, then it all dies.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 06:16:51 pm »
The best way to build codeblocks for this purpose is to build it with codeblocks ;)
On my changes i update only the project files but not the make files, so if i have changed something in codeblocks it will probably break the make build system.

To build codeblocks, with codeblocks on linux open your codeblocks, and open the codeblocks_wx30_unix project file or workspace file.
You should be able to simply hit build and all should work.
Prior to starting the first time you have to run the "update30" script in the codeblocks source folder. This will copy all needed images and plugins ecc. This has only to be done one time.

If you want to run the new codeblocks outside codeblocks you have to run first the update30 script and then you can start codeblocks from the output30 folder with the run.sh script

Struggling to get this working. Have built the required branch and plugin. I did need to comment out a line referencing cbEVT_DEBUGGER_CONTINUED, which makes me think the build isn't quite right, but I have set up the cb global to the correct directory on the special branch, so not sure where I have made a mistake.
are you building this branch: https://github.com/bluehazzard/codeblocks_sf/tree/debugger/pull_candidate/memory_range_watch/1 ?
If so build logs are needed to help you...

Get loads of errors on C::B startup once pluging installed, mostly unable to insert items in to a task bar, then it all dies.
This is probably because you have not run the update script... Or you messed the wxWidgets library versions..

Offline jimbo

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 11:33:47 am »
The best way to build codeblocks for this purpose is to build it with codeblocks ;)
On my changes i update only the project files but not the make files, so if i have changed something in codeblocks it will probably break the make build system.

To build codeblocks, with codeblocks on linux open your codeblocks, and open the codeblocks_wx30_unix project file or workspace file.
You should be able to simply hit build and all should work.
Prior to starting the first time you have to run the "update30" script in the codeblocks source folder. This will copy all needed images and plugins ecc. This has only to be done one time.

If you want to run the new codeblocks outside codeblocks you have to run first the update30 script and then you can start codeblocks from the output30 folder with the run.sh script

are you building this branch: https://github.com/bluehazzard/codeblocks_sf/tree/debugger/pull_candidate/memory_range_watch/1 ?
If so build logs are needed to help you...

This is probably because you have not run the update script... Or you messed the wxWidgets library versions..

Cool, thanks for the detailed info. Will give it a go now!