Author Topic: Question on cbSystemView - an SVD plugin  (Read 24951 times)

Offline jimbo

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Question on cbSystemView - an SVD plugin
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 10:54:09 am »
Something is wrong with your install. Probably C::B is loading plugins from two places and in both of them you have the same plugins.

If you've not passed a non-default prefix to configure it is a good idea to do so. It will make it a lot easier to clean up your install and start over.

OK, will rebuild with a different prefix, sounds like that should keepo the test versions away from the standard install?

Thanks.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 10:57:21 am »
Yes, if you mix them you'll suffer quite a bit. Also it is possible to build codeblocks with codeblocks and also it is possible to setup the external plugin to also work with this version.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline jimbo

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 04:48:56 pm »
Thanks, the prefix hint has helped enormously.

I now have the plugin sort of working in a recent nightly. Getting some seg faults in some places due to lack of error checking, so have added that.

Quick generic question about plugins and the dev cycle though since I am now at the point of altering the plugin code.

I am building the plugin in codeblocks itself, this results in a directory containng the cbplugin file and the zip file. This is where I originally installe the plugin from. On a rebuild of the plugin, where should I copy those to to update the code blocks installation (which I have in a directory in my home directory as specified by --prefix). When the plugin was originally installed it must have copied the zip file to ~/codeblocks_install/share/codeblocks, but I do not know what it did with the matching cbplugin file? Or indeed its contents. Currently reading the plugin docs to try and find the best procedure for development here.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 04:54:09 pm »
There should be a target called "to_codeblocks" there the plugin will get installed automatically to codeblocks. The ".cbplugin" file is an archive that can be installed via Plugins->Plugin manager->install

Offline jimbo

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 05:14:41 pm »
Ah Ha, presumably I need to alter the post build step to zip up to my specific codeblocks directory (as per --prefix)?]

EDIT: Ah, no, its uses the (#cb) thinkg to find it! Cool! thanks.

EDIT2: But there does seem to be an extra devel30 in there....remove?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:43 pm »
if you use the ./configure make install way then yes...
I use the codeblocks way, then devel30 is correct...

Offline jimbo

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 07:50:43 pm »
Started to get the hang, but have had this codeblocks crash, which I suspect is unconnected with the plugin.

Code
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
codeblocks: ../../src/xcb_io.c:259: poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.

Should I report it elsewhere, the tracker?

Offline jimbo

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 08:10:34 pm »
if you use the ./configure make install way then yes...
I use the codeblocks way, then devel30 is correct...

Quick question for @Bluehazzard.

Whilst reading through the plugin code, come across a class, svPGPeripheryProp. The naming didn't seem to make much sense to me, but I wonder if you mean Peripheral as that would make more sense. Happy to make changes if that is the case - see next sentence!

Would you object to me making changes to this code, then submitting to your github as PR's for code review? One thing I have already done is run it through `astyle` to make it conform more closely to the Codeblocks coding standard.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 11:32:17 pm »
hilst reading through the plugin code, come across a class, svPGPeripheryProp
the idea of the name was:
Code
sv........... for System Viewer (plugin name)
PG .......... for Property Grid, so it has something to do with the property grid part of the code
Periphery ... for the Periphery in the hardware, like ADC module, or I/O module. I do not know if this is correct english, but i think so...
Prop ........ for PROPerty. A property is a entry in the property grid that gives data, provides controls ecc.

Would you object to me making changes to this code, then submitting to your github as PR's for code review? One thing I have already done is run it through `astyle` to make it conform more closely to the Codeblocks coding standard.
Ofc, i would be happy if there are any improvements. Sadly i am a bit busy the next weeks but i will try to find some time... Just try to split them in small changes per commit..
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:34:33 pm by BlueHazzard »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 11:36:20 pm »
Started to get the hang, but have had this codeblocks crash, which I suspect is unconnected with the plugin.

Code
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
codeblocks: ../../src/xcb_io.c:259: poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.

This seems quite strange... Does the whole desktop environment hangs? Have you tried to deactivate the file browser plugin?

Offline jimbo

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 11:18:36 am »

Code

This seems quite strange... Does the whole desktop environment hangs? Have you tried to deactivate the file browser plugin?

It actually crashed out to the desktop rather than hanging, but this is a debug build, which probably makes behaviour change under these circumstances.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 11:30:43 am »
If this is repeatable, please start codeblocks under gdb and post a backtrace.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline jimbo

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 11:48:47 am »
hilst reading through the plugin code, come across a class, svPGPeripheryProp
the idea of the name was:
Code
sv........... for System Viewer (plugin name)
PG .......... for Property Grid, so it has something to do with the property grid part of the code
Periphery ... for the Periphery in the hardware, like ADC module, or I/O module. I do not know if this is correct english, but i think so...
Prop ........ for PROPerty. A property is a entry in the property grid that gives data, provides controls ecc.

In English, devices like ADC's are called peripherals, because they are on the periphery (around the outside) of the system. So I reckon it could be either in this case.

Ofc, i would be happy if there are any improvements. Sadly i am a bit busy the next weeks but i will try to find some time... Just try to split them in small changes per commit..

Will do.