Author Topic: CodeBlocks in Ubuntu XFCE  (Read 4008 times)

Offline tigerbeard

• Almost regular
CodeBlocks in Ubuntu XFCE
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:32:57 pm »
Trying out CodeBlocks in Xubuntus XFCE.

After installing the same TTF programming font I have been using in by Windows instalation of C::B my edit window looks the same in Linux as in Windows. Great.

However, the tree control in the Manager tab does not: in Linux there is a very high spacing between the leafs. Thats both File manager and Symbol browser. Using the same project in both installation (same screen size), the Linux install only shows me 2/3of the tree.

I feel that missing 1/3 of the information i have on Windows side is a severe impact and I would like to make the ratio better. I did not find any setting where I can change the spacing between the tree leafs. Maybe its a GTK thing, but I have not found any settings in themes etc either.

I am hoping that there are some Ubuntu/Linux users who came across the same problem. How can I solve that?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: CodeBlocks in Ubuntu XFCE
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 09:09:21 pm »
Change the global font used by your GTK+2 theme to be smaller. Or switch to another theme. If you're using GTK+3 then switch to GTK+2...

I don't think using windows' fonts is a good idea, the default linux fonts are a lot better than the windows fonts...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline tigerbeard

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 12:46:26 am »
To change the fonts did not help with the Management view. If you can recommend a good front from the standard Ubuntu selection I am happy to check it out.

Swiching Themes did not change anything at the treeview spacing. And thats my main concern

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 09:10:12 am »
Can you show a screenshot? I use comic sans for my UI font in gtk+2 :)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline tigerbeard

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 03:31:27 pm »
The font is not ony the list of available fonts, so it does not seem to be part of Ubuntu default. I will search for it and check it out. Thanks.

I am trying to attach 2 screen shots windows/linux. Both on a 1920x1200 display with full screen CB. Unfortunately the linux now has no symbol browser, but the effect is the same on the Files Tab. I hope one can see clearly the difference in the amout of info on each list. On the symbol browser its more drastic of course, since often a single class could fill that space.

Hopefully the root dir listing in the Linux screenshot allows easy comparison with other Linux installations.
I would be interersted to see a screenshot of a considered good installation on that resolution of another Ubuntu XFCE installation, because this would mean there is hope to solve it by configuration somehow.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:36:29 pm by tigerbeard »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 05:47:43 pm »
I don't think this is something where codeblocks has influence on. We use the system default theme, and for me it looks like the system default for ubuntu gtk. You can look at this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13684289/can-i-make-eclipse-on-ubuntu-look-more-compact/13687387#13687387 but search for tree items instead of menu. I think this should easily be possible.

I use comic sans for my UI font in gtk+2 :)
With this statement your reputation has fallen for 200% for me ;)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 06:51:43 pm »
With this statement your reputation has fallen for 200% for me ;)
Why? ComicSans is pretty cool font and after I've learnt that there are people who dislike it I use it more. :) I have to find a way to tell GTK+3 to use it as default font. :)

Offline tigerbeard

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 06:55:27 pm »
I don't think this is something where codeblocks has influence on.
I feared someone would say something like that.  :-\

Thanks for finding that link for me. I did see that before, but did not recognize it beloings to the same issue.
They basically say to add a .gtkrc-2.0 file with some content they give and the "export SWT_GTK3=0" (in case the system uses GTK3).
I just tried it as they described it. Then started CB from the terminal with the exported var. Unfortunately there was no visible change.
I also tried to look for a "theme setting", but the only thing I found was a little app about background colors and Icons. A web search with theme, gkt an treeview spacing did come out quite dry. A bit sad, myriards of material about themes around but nothing mentioning spacing. :(

Maybe some CB user with Ubuntu with a better spacing can check his theme settings for me.

Offline tigerbeard

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 07:01:50 pm »
I use comic sans for my UI font in gtk+2 :)

Looked it up. Cool This must be quite a unique view 8).
Only references I found were about Micorsoft fonts. Are you using the original MS TTF or are you using a commercial version?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 09:03:13 pm »
I've not said that the gap in my tree view is smaller. :)

Offline tigerbeard

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 10:23:42 pm »
You have not, indeed.

I've not said that the gap in my tree view is smaller. :)

But by knowingly working like that your endurance level has risen in my eyes by 500% ;)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 01:10:03 am »
I rarely use the tree, most of the time I keep it hidden and just use alt-g to find files. :)