Author Topic: Scroll bar  (Read 6187 times)

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
Scroll bar
« on: September 08, 2018, 11:27:56 am »
Some while ago Visual Studio changed the regular vertical scroll bar to a version that shows the source code in mini size. You can hover on that bar and it shows the source code in small window at that position. At first I was like "what now..", but you soon realize how amazing it is. It's something you didn't know you always wanted. And it's a feature C::B must also have.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Scroll bar
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 01:36:22 pm »
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 05:02:55 pm »
Some old plugin that was buggy? This should be a internal feature, not a plugin. But I guess this is too much for poor old wxWidgets, so maybe we'll just forget this.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 07:58:48 pm »
No, why do you think it is too much for wxWidgets? It is fully possible to do it but someone needs to spend time to do it.
I don't think the mini-editor is a good idea - it wastes too much horizontal space, but probably if I find the time or desire to do it I'll implemented the scrollbar idea.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 04:25:50 pm »
if I find the time or desire to do it I'll implemented the scrollbar idea.

Have you tried it? If you try it, you want to implement it. It's probably found also in some advanced editors, I doubt only Visual Studio has it.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 06:56:22 pm »
Yes, I've tried sublime text. I don't think there is a need to show text with size 1-2-3 pixels and I don't think this adds more information than the simpler implementation which just marks important things with dots/boxes.

Also, I like to use two editors side by side and for this I need horizontal space.

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 11:51:40 am »
I think a regular scroll bar and navigating in a file feels ancient compared to this type of scroll bar, because it's easier to see the structure of the source file (and how short or long the file is), where you are in that file and the navigation is easier when you point and click the area you want to go. You often remember what is in that piece of code when you look at the mini size code. This completely eliminates the usual way you scroll up and down with keys or dragging the scroll bar trying to find the right location. The hovering window that shows the code in real size is also helping to find the exact location.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:53:15 am by Krice »

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 08:48:32 am »
I had to switch to C::B from Visual Studio in one of my projects, because VS destroyed my project files when I tried github extension again... This is still a feature I'd like to have, because when you have only the plain old scrollbar it feels like something is missing. But it's probably difficult to replace the native scrollbar with mini source code navigation style scrollbar. Maybe some day, like 10 years from now.