User forums > Using Code::Blocks

[SOLVED] Bitdefender accusing viruses while compiling c++ source with CodeBlocks

(1/1)

rogeriodec:
I'm using Bitdefender few years ago, and CodeBlocks for some time, and today specifically the programs were not compiling, until I saw that BitDefender was accusing virus (Gen: Variant.Symmi.86658) in any compiled program, even in a new project with Hello World.

I did a boot scan with a BitDefender boot recovery, but it did not find anything. Meanwhile, the problem continues.

My question is: Will it be a false positive? Should I disable programs generated by CodeBlocks to not be intercepted by BitDefender? Or is my Windows infected in some way invisible to Bitdefender?

I also deactivated Bitdefender for a few minutes, generated an .exe and submitted it to VirusTotal, which accused a lot of problems: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/ca86a72936301bb4199857fe4ed194eb6aaeb7d5dde1d3822c1e00acaec4763a/analysis/1526009068/

raynebc:
Some AV programs have this problem where they sometimes get a definition that makes them mistake home-built applications (ie. with GCC or MinGW) as malware.  You can submit the program to Bitdefender and ask them to verify if it's a false positive.

BlueHazzard:
Anti virus software does not use solely signatures anymore. They use heuristics  analyses to detect viruses. What is the main thing a virus does? Exactly create executable files and for this a compiler and every program it generates is the base line of a virus.
For the uploaded file in virustotal: if less then half of the scanner are negative and the other half uses the same signature base (Gen:Variant.Symmi.86658) you can ignore this...

FYI: http://wiki.c2.com/?TheKenThompsonHack

(i have uninstalled all anti virus since 6 years and never had any problems, on contraire, they generate more problems and slowdowns.... Brain.exe, no script and adblock are my anti virus)

rogeriodec:
I did a Bitdefender repair (uninstall and reinstall), updating the entire virus database.
This solved the problem!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version