Author Topic: How to Update Code::Blocks for Windows???  (Read 29521 times)

Offline ConfusedConsumer

• Single posting newcomer
How to Update Code::Blocks for Windows???
« on: February 26, 2018, 02:01:06 am »
Hello, Community,

I'm an aspiring programmer and have dusted off my copy of Code::Blocks from years ago but for some reason, it's stuck at Version 13.12 with no means to update it in sight!

I seem to recall that Code::Blocks would itself inform me of an update whenever I booted it up but that's no longer the case.

Anyway, please refer to the two screenshots attached...on the first image, of the "home screen" or "title/splash screen," there's a line below the Code::Blocks logo that's a link reading "Release 13.12 rev9501 (2013/12/25 19:25:24) qcc 4.7.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit" but when I click on it, imagining that perhaps this is the way to update my copy, nothing happens at all.  The second photo shows that there's no way to update in the "About" dialog box, which is often where such functionality resides in a lot of software.

PLEASE ADVISE!  Thanks a bunch!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:04:17 am by ConfusedConsumer »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: How to Update Code::Blocks for Windows???
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:07:38 am »
Hello, Community,

I seem to recall that Code::Blocks would itself inform me of an update whenever I booted it up but that's no longer the case.

I have no memory of Code::Blocks informing that a update is available.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline ConfusedConsumer

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:15:28 am »
Hey, Stahta,

Thanks for cluing me in!  I actually saw that page you cited during a Google search but had dismissed it as I was sure the software offered an update functionality.

So, um, if you don't mind -- since I'm such a n00b and all -- how come Code::Block doesn't follow standard practice in this regard?  Also, is that "Release 13.12 rev9501 (2013/12/25 19:25:24) qcc 4.7.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit" link a real link?  'Cause it doesn't "go anywhere" when clicked....

Just curious.  Thanks again!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:17:18 am by ConfusedConsumer »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 09:51:18 am »
I was sure the software offered an update functionality.
This was never the case if you're using the official binaries.

I hope you won't be too lazy and you'll be able to get a binary from the official place: http://codeblocks.org/downloads/26
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:27:56 pm »
So, um, if you don't mind -- since I'm such a n00b and all -- how come Code::Block doesn't follow standard practice in this regard?
Codeblocks is one of the few applications today that do not call home, for any thing. This is quite nice if you, because why the fuck should a text editor have internet access... Also it is not easy to check for updates on a so many platforms as codeblocks support. And if you are using a decent os, then you have a packet manager, that does exactly this work and a lot better...