Author Topic: Plugin independence  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
Plugin independence
« on: January 30, 2018, 11:39:14 am »
I'm referring to wxSmith bug in which if you don't install wxSmith then also lib_finder and ThreadSearch don't work and you get that super annoying nag screen every time you start C::B. And you can't even remove lib_finder or ThreadSearch, because they don't show in the plugin list. How is this still a thing? I see two ways to solve this: 1) remove lib_finder and ThreadSearch from plugins if wsSmith is not installed (in the installer procedure and show it to the user by graying out those plugins) or 2) if that's too much to ask make it possible to fix the problem later by removing lib_finder and ThreadSearch, with manual operation or automatically (better option).

By the way I think making some plugins depend on other plugins is really bad programming practice.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Plugin independence
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:02:57 pm »
Missing information for a bug report:
1) Operating system, version of operating system
2) Codeblocks version
3) Source of codeblocks (installer name)
4) Exact description of steps to reproduce the problem

I'm referring to wxSmith bug in which if you don't install wxSmith then also lib_finder and ThreadSearch don't work and you get that super annoying nag screen every time you start C::B.
What are you referring at? I never heard from this bug. Are there old reports?
What is a "nag" screen and how does it look? What is the message of the screen?
What does "doesn't work" mean? Crash? Error messages?

And you can't even remove lib_finder or ThreadSearch, because they don't show in the plugin list.
Have you deinstalled them? Are the libs in the codeblocks_install_dir/share/CodeBlocks/plugins present? What if you remove them?
Are the *.zip files of this plugins present in the codeblocks_install_dir/share/CodeBlocks folder? What if you delete them?

By the way I think making some plugins depend on other plugins is really bad programming practice.
They should not depend, but i will have a look at the code

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
Re: Plugin independence
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 12:51:07 pm »
What are you referring at? I never heard from this bug. Are there old reports?

https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/99/

When I removed lib_finder and ThreadSearch from the plugin directory it doesn't nag anymore and seems to work ok. But it could be nice if those broken plugins would be in the editor preferences (in plugin list) so you could remove them there, if they don't work for whatever reason). The rest of information:

Build: Dec 25 2017, 08:45:27 - wx2.8.12 (Windows, unicode) - 32 bit
Version: Release 17.12 rev 11256
SDK Version: 1.33.0

Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Version 1709
OS Build 16299.192

Almost forgot the installer, it was codeblocks-17.12mingw-setup.exe from http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26, the one from Sourceforge.net which adds spyware to installers. At least that is what they say.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:19:02 pm by Krice »