Author Topic: How to find out why the symbols browser is stalling codeBlocks?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline fruitCode

• Multiple posting newcomer
How to find out why the symbols browser is stalling codeBlocks?
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:48:41 am »
I used C::B 17.12 although I had the same problem in version 12 and 16, I am using C::B on windows 7 on a 64bits machine which has i7 and 32Gb of RAM.
I expecting long freezes while using codeblocks which is so annoying that it is impossible to use it. After searching this forum I found similar complaints and there it is advised to disable the 'symbols browser'.
This solved my problem but it is not very satisfying. In some of my projects I experience this problem and some I don't, most of the time I notice this problem with projects that are set-up using cmake, so the codeblocks project file is generated by cmake.

Now I was wondering if I can enable some kind of debug/log feature to see what is actually the problem, why is the symbols browser choking on my project, which file, which construct. So that I (we) can find the root cause of the problem (if any) or that I can adapt my project so that I don't experience the problem anymore.
Is there such a feature for the symbols browser? If yes, how to enable it? If it doesn't exist can someone shine a light here then I can maybe contribute myself to create it.
Thanks in advance.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: How to find out why the symbols browser is stalling codeBlocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:38:38 pm »
There is no long. The best way to find the root cause of the problem is to use a profiler.
Unfortunately I don't know a free one for windows that works.

But keep in mind that in wx3.x build the symbol browser is disabled, because it does wx calls from non-gui threads, which causes many crashes.
In wx2.8 builds this is not so bad, but it is possible that these calls might cause lock up.

Anyway time spent on fixing the symbol browser in its current state will be wasted. Last time I've looked at it it seems that the feature must be redone from scratch. I'm not sure when I'll have the time to do it unfortunately, so a volunteer is welcome.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Hateborne

Re: How to find out why the symbols browser is stalling codeBlocks?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:47:24 am »
Sorry to necrobump this thread, but I found a workaround. For some reason, the number of results possible automagically set itself to 16383. I dropped it down to 20 and have not had a lock up in several hours. I tried to get fancy and started an strace earlier (before reducing results returned) and the last line from Codeblocks was polling what looked to be mouse/keyboard interaction. The insane part is that the strace ALSO hung up, which caused my desktop session to also hang up. I was able to get everything cleared up by killing the strace and stuck codeblocks process through one of the virtual terminals.

Just making note and hoping this helps another. If there is some way I can help further, please let me know!

-Hate