Author Topic: Updating to latest GCC using minimalist approach  (Read 4721 times)

Offline ontherocks

• Single posting newcomer
Updating to latest GCC using minimalist approach
« on: December 28, 2017, 05:29:22 pm »
Goal: To have the latest CodeBlocks with the latest GCC MinGW, but minimalist i.e. low memory footprint

Steps I have followed:
1. Downloaded and extracted CB_20171209_rev11246_win64.7z to a folder D:\CB
2. Downloaded and extracted wxmsw30u_gcc_cb_wx303_gcc510-TDM-2.7z to the above folder D:\CB
3. Downloaded and extracted codeblocks-16.01mingw-nosetup.zip to a different folder D:\CBNOSETUP
4. Copied the folder D:\CBNOSETUP\MinGW to D:\CB, so now I have D:\CB\MinGW

The GCC version obtained from codeblocks-16.01mingw-nosetup.zip is 4.9.2 and the latest GCC version is 7.2.0. How do I update to 7.2.0?
The size of MinGW folder obtained from codeblocks-16.01mingw-nosetup.zip is 155MB. So I am guessing this is a minimalist MinGW.
I tried to download latest MinGW from MinGW-w64 - for 32 and 64 bit Windows, with the following choices, but the MinGW folder size is 516MB. What do I or do not copy to D:\CB\MinGW from the MinGW-w64 folder?

MinGW folder structure in codeblocks-16.01mingw-nosetup.zip

MinGW folder structure in MinGW-w64 - for 32 and 64 bit Windows

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Updating to latest GCC using minimalist approach
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:52:29 pm »
Skip steps 3 and 4.

After step 2, Install the MinGW GCC Compiler you wish to use; do *not* install it inside the CB folder.
Then, open up CB and setup the GCC toolchain to use the location you installed the compiler.

Edit: If you do decide to install it under the CB Folder make sure the MinGW is completely empty before the install or the file copy.
You likely will still need to setup the GCC Toolchain because the exe will likely have different filenames.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:55:21 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline ontherocks

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 05:53:04 am »
Skip steps 3 and 4.

After step 2, Install the MinGW GCC Compiler you wish to use; do *not* install it inside the CB folder.
Then, open up CB and setup the GCC toolchain to use the location you installed the compiler.

Edit: If you do decide to install it under the CB Folder make sure the MinGW is completely empty before the install or the file copy.
You likely will still need to setup the GCC Toolchain because the exe will likely have different filenames.

Tim S.
My question was actually not about how to setup the compiler (toolchain or gdb). That is fine.
My question was about how to use minimal MinGW for GCC 7.0.2. I do not want 516MB of stuff occupying my hard disk when I could do away with nonessential stuff.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 10:58:44 am »
Skip steps 3 and 4.

Tim S.
My question was actually not about how to setup the compiler (toolchain or gdb). That is fine.
My question was about how to use minimal MinGW for GCC 7.0.2. I do not want 516MB of stuff occupying my hard disk when I could do away with nonessential stuff.

Then ask the people who created the Compiler.
Please read the rules http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,9996.0.html

Tim S.
--

Offline ontherocks

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 06:54:01 pm »
Skip steps 3 and 4.

Tim S.

Then ask the people who created the Compiler.
Please read the rules http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,9996.0.html

Tim S.
Why are your getting worked up dude?

Since there is a official release of codebloks that has MinGW prepackaged, so I thought some one would know something about what was packaged.
I am fine if it was just blindly packaged.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:54:35 pm »
Asking you to read the rules is not getting worked up!

The number of newbies that read the rules seems to me to be below 50 percent.

Edit: The person who created the TDM MinGW installer that CB used in the past has not posted here in a very long time.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:57:52 pm by stahta01 »
--