Author Topic: call tip / code completion popup: only on request, disable autolaunch  (Read 5560 times)

Offline DavidMoksha

• Single posting newcomer
I'm learning C++ and got started with codeblocks a couple days ago. When I type std:: then a popup appears. (I believe this is for code completion, rather than a calltip.)

I don't want this to EVER appear without me asking for it. I'm visually sensitive, and I cannot use an editor that pops up things in my face while I am typing. It is a total show-stopper.

I tried setting "Autolaunch after typing # letters" to the maximum 8, but it still pops up after std:: which is less than 8 letters. (And anyway I want to disable autolaunch completely-- even if I type 8 or 28 letters I still don't want autolaunch, never, ever, ever.)

Is it possible to set code completion, and call tips, to only appear upon explicit request? (via a hotkey / keyboaard shortcut, for example ctrl+space or whatever.)

Are there any other popups that could appear while I am typing, and can I similarly comfigure codeblocks to only bring those up on request?

If not, how do I disable all the popups completely? It would be crippling to not have code completion or call tips available at all, but still much better than the current behavior.

Thanks for your help and thanks for creating what looks like a really great IDE

David

using codeblocks 16 on debian 9: amd64, 16.01+dfsg-2+b1

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: call tip / code completion popup: only on request, disable autolaunch
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:53:43 pm »
I really thought there is a option to pop up the completion only if a key combination is it, but it seems i was wrong...

You can remove code completion by disabling the plugin in Plugins->Plugin manager...

Offline DavidMoksha

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 01:19:08 am »
Thanks. Would it be worthwhile to somehow put in a feature request? Is this something that has been discussed?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 01:43:36 am »
I don't think has ever been discussed. The best thing you could do is to inspect the code and try to find all places which trigger this unwanted behaviour. Then make a patch. For us it will be a lot harder, because we're not sensitive to this.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 01:03:26 am »
In CodeCompletion::GetAutocompList() (from src/plugins/codecompletion/codecompletion.cpp) see isAuto.  Also see ccPlugin->GetAutocompList() in CCManager::OnCompleteCode() (from src/sdk/ccmanager.cpp).

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 01:24:00 am »
There is a short cut for show the popup:
Code
ctrl+space 
found in Edit->Complete code

but there is no option to turn off automatic popup... I could try to make a patch...

piker

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:13 pm »
I don't think has ever been discussed. The best thing you could do is to inspect the code and try to find all places which trigger this unwanted behaviour. Then make a patch. For us it will be a lot harder, because we're not sensitive to this.

Wow, I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed.

Anyway, for what it's worth I would definitely appreciate this feature.  SmartSense is nice, throwing it in my face when I'm trying to think about something else is not.   Right now my only option is to disable smartsense all together, which makes code::blocks not that much better than just using a syntax highlighting text editor.

Netbeans allows for manual completion triggering, so I might stay with it a little longer, though it's C/C++ development plugin seems to get buggier with each release and I'd like to move to something else.