Author Topic: Project parser completes, nohing displayed in "symbols" window  (Read 7388 times)

Offline ravenspoint

• Multiple posting newcomer
Project parser completes, nohing displayed in "symbols" window
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:01:54 pm »
As my project grows in complexity, more and more frequently the symbols window fails more and more to display my classes and methods.

Sometimes I can repopulate by requesting a project reparse, or even by restarting codeblocks, but even this is now failing more than ever.

Is there some way to get some useful error messages from the parser, so I can perhaps avoid problems that cause it to fail?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Project parser completes, nohing displayed in "symbols" window
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 01:24:01 am »
Symbols browser is going away, so don't get too attached to it...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ravenspoint

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:22:06 am »
The symbols browser is vital.  Without it, an IDE is worthless.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:57:48 am »
Then you'll have to step up and fix it to not crash all the time when built for wx3.x...  8)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ravenspoint

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 02:52:58 pm »
This is unhelpful. 

I have been using code::blocks for several years now on all my projects, small and large.  The time seems to have arrived for looking into alternatives.  I am seeing some good things about codelite.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:09:31 pm »
I guess you're not using it on a linux with wx3.x. Otherwise you've seen many crashes already...

Offline ravenspoint

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:13:07 pm »
It does not crash, just shows nothing.  Please take a look at the screenshot I posted.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 11:53:07 pm »
Yes, I saw that...

Does goto definition or goto declaration work?
Does it work for simple projects?

Offline ravenspoint

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 03:43:14 pm »
Does goto definition or goto declaration work?

Sorry, I do not know what this means.  I never use goto statements in my code.

Does it work for simple projects?

Yes.  As I said: "As my project grows in complexity, more and more frequently the symbols window fails..."

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 04:53:43 pm »
The features is available in the right click menu of the editor -> Goto declaration  or Goto declaration. Please test if these work.

Offline ravenspoint

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 05:55:11 pm »
Ah!  Yes the "goto declaration", "goto implementation", etc all work fine.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 06:13:12 pm »
Even when the symbols browser is empty?

If this is the case we'll need a way to reproduce this problem. So we'll need a simple project which reproduces it.

Offline ravenspoint

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 06:50:30 pm »
Yes, even when the symbols window is empty.

The problem does not appear with small projects.  The project where this is most of a problem has been under development for two years and has 200,000 lines. The problem started appearing maybe six months ago and in the last week or so is now occurring always.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 08:08:37 pm »
You have three options share the project, debug it yourself, find an open source project which has the same problem.
Without a way to reproduce this we can't do much...

Offline ravenspoint

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 08:14:21 pm »
I have been mucking about, trying to construct a 'simple' project that shows this problem.  No success, however I have gained a bit of insight into the 'symbols' window that might be helpful.

In a workspace with several projects, the symbol window display changes as I change the focus between the editor windows for different source files.  It seems that the intention is to always show the most relevant symbols by assuming that each source file is associated with one, and one only, project so that the symbols displayed need only be the ones for the project that is associated with the source file that has the focus.

The assumption there is incorrect.  The reason that several projects are present in one workspace is that they are tightly coupled - meaning, in my case at least, that the projects SHARE source files.  So, if the focus is on a shared source file, the symbol window can get very confused

IMHO this feature is more confusing then useful and may be causing unnecessary problems for the symbols window.  I would like to switch the feature off.  I would be happy to see either all the symbols in the workspace, or the symbols of the active project, no matter what source file I happen to be looking at.  This would, at the least, remove the annoying flickering in the symbols window as I browse around the source files, and maybe even  "fix" the empty symbol window problem that is bringing my work to a halt.

Do you know if there is a way to switch off the feature where the symbols window displays the symbols for the project that a focused source file is assumed to belong to?