Author Topic: Threadsearch plugin cause crash when initilized (wx3.1,C::B svn head)  (Read 21558 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Threadsearch plugin cause crash when initilized (wx3.1,C::B svn head)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 12:37:46 am »
To me, that looks like undefined behaviour:
I'll need a quote from the standard where they've made this undefined behaviour.
Newer compilers might delete the check, but this doesn't make the check undefined behaviour (if you find the quote from the standard, then I'll admit my mistake)!

A null-pointer check AFTER having dereferenced m_pViewManager.
If memory serves me, this in combination with "-fno-delete-null-pointer-checks"
led to bugs like heartbleed.
How is this related, to Code::Blocks where we don't care at all about security.
And it seems you're wrong, because by the looks of it (I have no time to read the whole report) heartbleed is just a logic error and nothing related to compilers or UB.

And finally how is this thing related to the original problem?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 01:59:17 am »

I agree, it is not related.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 04:34:05 pm »
I see another strange issue, the combobox's content can't be saved after the dialog closed. When I close the option, and I see the combobox becomes "*.*" again. Any one can reproduce this issue? I'm on 32bit C::B build against wx3.1 under windows 7.

See image shot below:
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline danselmi

• Developer
  • Almost regular
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 09:56:14 pm »

I agree, it is not related.

It is not undefined behaviour. But the check is definitely too late. 4 lines above the m_pViewManager was already dereferenced.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 12:04:39 am »
@ollydbg: Changing the value in the dialog works fine for me on linux with 3.1.1
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 10:16:21 am »
@ollydbg: Changing the value in the dialog works fine for me on linux with 3.1.1
I debugged this issue under Windows7 for a while, and it is a bug.

For example, if I set the mask as "*.abc", which means I only want to search the files which has the file name pattern as "*.abc", I can see this value is correctly saved to the conf file.

Code
		<MASK>
<str>
<![CDATA[*.abc]]>
</str>
</MASK>

While, when I close the CB, and restart again, I see that the "*.abc" is correctly loaded and set the the value "ThreadSearchFindData". But the bad thing happens is when the combobox constructed, it was set the a default value "*.*", see the code below:
Code
DirectoryParamsPanel::DirectoryParamsPanel(ThreadSearchFindData *findData, wxWindow* parent, int id, const wxPoint& pos,
                                           const wxSize& size, long WXUNUSED(style)):
    wxPanel(parent, id, pos, size, wxTAB_TRAVERSAL),
    m_pFindData(findData)
{
    const wxString choices[] = {};

// begin wxGlade: DirectoryParamsPanel::DirectoryParamsPanel
    m_pSearchDirPath = new wxComboBox(this, controlIDs.Get(ControlIDs::idSearchDirPath), wxEmptyString,
                                      wxDefaultPosition, wxDefaultSize, 0, choices, wxCB_DROPDOWN|wxTE_PROCESS_ENTER);
    m_pBtnSelectDir = new wxButton(this, controlIDs.Get(ControlIDs::idBtnDirSelectClick), _("..."));
    m_pChkSearchDirRecursively = new wxCheckBox(this, controlIDs.Get(ControlIDs::idChkSearchDirRecurse), _("Recurse"));
    m_pChkSearchDirHiddenFiles = new wxCheckBox(this, controlIDs.Get(ControlIDs::idChkSearchDirHidden), _("Hidden"));
    m_pMask = new wxComboBox(this, controlIDs.Get(ControlIDs::idSearchMask), wxT("*.*"),
                             wxDefaultPosition, wxDefaultSize, 0, choices, wxCB_DROPDOWN|wxTE_PROCESS_ENTER);

set_properties();
    do_layout();
    // end wxGlade
}

I see the ThreadSearchFindData will be updated in a event handler:
Code
[debug]> bt 30
[debug]#0  ThreadSearchFindData::SetSearchMask (this=0xa93270c, searchMask=L"*.*") at D:\code\cb\cb_sf_git\trunk\src\plugins\contrib\ThreadSearch\ThreadSearchFindData.h:53
[debug]#1  0x0d331e37 in DirectoryParamsPanel::OnSearchMaskTextEvent (this=0xa976340, event=...) at D:\code\cb\cb_sf_git\trunk\src\plugins\contrib\ThreadSearch\DirectoryParamsPanel.cpp:103
[debug]#2  0x68702ec2 in wxAppConsoleBase::HandleEvent(wxEvtHandler*, void (wxEvtHandler::*)(wxEvent&), wxEvent&) const () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#3  0x68703327 in wxAppConsoleBase::CallEventHandler(wxEvtHandler*, wxEventFunctor&, wxEvent&) const () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#4  0x6885a3c0 in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatchesId(wxEventTableEntryBase const&, wxEvtHandler*, wxEvent&) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#5  0x68858f6a in wxEventHashTable::HandleEvent(wxEvent&, wxEvtHandler*) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#6  0x6885a709 in wxEvtHandler::TryHereOnly(wxEvent&) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#7  0x6885a61a in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventLocally(wxEvent&) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#8  0x6885a505 in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#9  0x68b1d5ea in wxWindowBase::TryAfter(wxEvent&) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#10 0x6885a752 in wxEvtHandler::SafelyProcessEvent(wxEvent&) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#11 0x68973d5c in wxComboBox::MSWCommand(unsigned int, unsigned short) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#12 0x6893635b in wxWindow::HandleCommand(unsigned short, unsigned short, HWND__*) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#13 0x6893fdc9 in wxWindow::MSWHandleMessage(long*, unsigned int, unsigned int, long) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#14 0x68930a20 in wxWindow::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int, unsigned int, long) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#15 0x68938843 in wxWndProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned int, long)@16 () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#16 0x75bc62fa in gapfnScSendMessage () from C:\windows\syswow64\user32.dll
[debug]#17 0x001308dc in ?? ()
[debug]#18 0x00000111 in ?? ()
[debug]#19 0x00050484 in ?? ()
[debug]#20 0x000a07fa in ?? ()
[debug]#21 0x689387d0 in wxWindow::SubclassWin(HWND__*) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#22 0x75bc6d3a in USER32!GetThreadDesktop () from C:\windows\syswow64\user32.dll
[debug]#23 0x689387d0 in wxWindow::SubclassWin(HWND__*) () from D:\code\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw310u_gcc_cb.dll
[debug]#24 0x75bc965e in USER32!GetWindow () from C:\windows\syswow64\user32.dll
[debug]#25 0x00000000 in ?? ()
[debug]>>>>>>cb_gdb:

Here, the value "*.abc" is just overwriten by the "*.*". Thus my customized value is lost.
I'm not sure why the event below happens.
Code
void DirectoryParamsPanel::OnSearchMaskTextEvent(wxCommandEvent &event)
{
    m_pFindData->SetSearchMask(event.GetString());
    event.Skip();
}

In my original problem, a crash happens when we call "event.GetString()", but that is another crash issue, which can be workaround by adding the "O0" optimization decoration to the function(I wrote that in my previous posts).

:(
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:18:29 am by ollydbg »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 12:10:06 pm »
Works perfectly fine here. There is something broken in your build.
Do you see the same problem with the night build?

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 01:06:46 pm »
Works perfectly fine here.
You are using Linux, right?

There is something broken in your build.
Do you see the same problem with the night build?
This issue does not exist in nightly build which is wx2.8 based.
I suggest someone using wx3.1 based C::B under Windows would test it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:12:54 pm by ollydbg »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 04:46:32 pm »
Yes, linux, wx3.0.2 and wx-master all built with gcc-5.4. But I'm building for 64bit all the time. So it is not too relevant.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 05:51:58 am »
Some good news:
I use the mingw-build i686-7.2.0-release-posix-dwarf-rt_v5-rev1 compiler, and I just build the wx3.1.1-rc(released three days ago), and I build CodeBlocks_wx31.cbp, and the wxCustomButton(inside the wxContributeItem project), and the ThreadSearch plugin, and I don't see the crash now. Any Windows guys can confirm?

BTW, have to fix a build error, see: Building C::B against wx 3.1.1 rc under Windows

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 07:14:20 am »
where do you get "mingw-build i686-7.2.0-release-posix-dwarf-rt_v5-rev1 compiler" ?

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:02 am »
where do you get "mingw-build i686-7.2.0-release-posix-dwarf-rt_v5-rev1 compiler" ?

Here
Code
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win32/Personal%20Builds/mingw-builds/7.2.0/threads-posix/dwarf/i686-7.2.0-release-posix-dwarf-rt_v5-rev1.7z/download

Note that the official wxWidgets 3.1.1 release also use their compiler, see here: Release Release candidate for wxWidgets 3.1.1 ยท wxWidgets/wxWidgets
Binaries

We provide pre-built binary files for the following compilers:

Microsoft Visual C++ compiler versions 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 14.0 and 14.1 (corresponding to marketing product names of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017 respectively).
    MinGW-TDM versions 5.1 and 7.2 (with the default SJLJ exceptions propagation method, using C++11). Please note that you need to use the very latest MinGW 7.2 compiler release with this version of the compiler which can be downloaded from here for 32 bits and here for 64 bits, the older "rev0" release has a known bug affecting building wxWidgets in some scenarios.

The gcc 7.2 mentioned above also comes from the mingw-w64 site, which is slightly different from mine. (I use the drawf version, and they use SJLJ version)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 09:34:54 am »
@killerbot: Can you make a new night build using wx3.1.1 and this compiler?