Author Topic: The 20 September 2017 build (11176) is out.  (Read 32021 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 20 September 2017 build (11176) is out.
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:14:05 am »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

Before you use a nightly make sure you understand how it works.

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/Nightlies/Prerequisites/wxmsw28u_gcc_cb_wx2812_gcc510-TDM-2.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/Nightlies/Prerequisites/mingwm10_gcc510-TDM.7z

The 20 September 2017 build is out.
  - Windows :
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/Nightlies/2017/CB_20170920_rev11176_win32.7z
  - Linux :
   none

The current SDK version is : 1.31.0

Resolved Fixed:

• UI: Fix redraw problem on ubuntu because freeze/thaw are used in a wrong way
  • ScriptedWizard YWX additions (GetWizardScriptFolder, FillContainerWithSelectCompilers,AppendContainerWithSelectCompilers,FillContainerWith
  • wxSmith: Add wxSpinCtrl alignment styles
  • SDK resources - PowerShell script lexer xml and sample
  • CC: fix an issue that Code Completion list got hidden after shown up
  • UI: Do not loose changes when clicking twice the same target in ProjectOption dialog (ticket #547, thanks homertp)
  • wx3: Memory dump window has wrong proportion on windows (ticket #557, thanks bluehazzard)
  • debugger: Start the removal of squirrel based pretty printers
  • debugger: Remove stl-view gdb script file because it is not used anymore
  • debugger: Remove the config option to enable/disable script watches
  • debugger: Build system cleanup after the removal of scripted watches
  • compiler: Improve clang log parsing
  • compiler: Add button to compiler toolbar to show the select target dialog
  • autotools: Fix compilation using autotools on OSX
  • autotools: Add OSX bundle making support (ticket #562, thanks Dave Murphy)
  • osx: Fix blurryness when making a bundle
  • OSX: Move the wizard files to the correct folder when making bundle

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    Re: The 20 September 2017 build (11176) is out.
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:34:46 pm »
    I have the intention to make a final release based on this night build.
    Please test it and report as many problems, so we can have a solid release.

Thanks to all.
    (most of the time I ignore long posts)
    [strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Xaviou

• Regular
      • X@v's wxStuff
    « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:30:12 pm »
    Hi
    I have the intention to make a final release based on this night build.
    Please test it and report as many problems, so we can have a solid release.
    Do you plan to make an OS-X release (or do you also need OS-X specific problems reports) ?

Regards
    Xav'
    The french wxWidgets site : http://www.wxdev.fr
    My wxWidgets's stuff : https://wxstuff.xaviou.fr/

Offline Xaviou

• Regular
      • X@v's wxStuff
    « Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:04:56 pm »
    Here is a strange behavior I've noticed many times on Windows.

When a file has mixed tabulations chars for indentation, it is sometimes badly rendered by Code::Blocks.

It is a little bit hard to reproduce as it doesn't happen each time a file has tabulations inconsistencies.

You can try doing the following (it has just worked for me) :
    • Open a class header file
    • Replace all tabulations by 4 spaces
    • save the file
    • open the file in another text editor, and replace the first 4 spaces indentation by a tab char
    • save and re-open in Code::Blocks
    • the modified line should appear as if it was having 2 tabs

Attached are screenshots of the same file opened in Code::Blocks and in another text editor (I've enabled the display of whitespaces to see the difference)

And then, when a file with this problem is opened in Code::Blocks, if you want to make indents consistents, it won't be done correctly.
    I've tried "Edit" => "Editor tweaks" => "Use Tab Character"
    and "Edit" => "Editor tweaks" => "Make Indents Consistent"

All lines are correctly indented with tab character but the line #15 still have 4 spaces (and the tab chars are represented as 8 spaces each)

Regards
    Xav'
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:10:52 pm by Xaviou »
    The french wxWidgets site : http://www.wxdev.fr
    My wxWidgets's stuff : https://wxstuff.xaviou.fr/

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:35:38 pm »
    Do you plan to make an OS-X release (or do you also need OS-X specific problems reports) ?
    I plan to make an OSX release, but I first need to fix the bundle.sh to add the contrib plugins.
    I'm not sure that it'll be possible to fix many OSX problems at the moment, but if there is something that is really bad I could look at it.
    [strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    « Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:01:18 pm »
    For the editor problem please post it in another topic or even in a ticket on sf.net.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    « Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 11:57:47 pm »
    CentOS 7 and Fedora 25, 26, 27 and Rawhide packages are available from my copr (see signature).

Building Debian packages is currently stalled. I don't know if I will start building for Debian again, because it's much work and I do not use Debian since years.

Offline DrOli

• Multiple posting newcomer
    Hi

Tried to provide bug reports and feature requests, but the redirection to the derlios.de cite is not particularly useful ... no idea how to actually get to the ticket page, all it shows is "Dating", "Gaming" and other such consumer matters.

I can repost these separately later if you like once the "delrios" matter is corrected, but just so you have the key bits before releasing the new CB:

Under WinXP64/Win764

1) SVN 11146 (ie. the previous nightly) crashed frequently.  Not 100% certain, but it seemed to be when there was at least two projects open, each a reasonable number of files in disparate locations, and possibly a large number of targets, and a sufficient number of "switching between" etc.  I'll let you know if 11176 does this, assuming I can figure how to get access to derlios.de/bug reporting.

2) A long standing "bug" with Fortran (f90) files is that the debug/error list cannot be used (e.g. double click on error) to navigate to the offending line directly.  One must do so manually.  This was a kind of 50/50 hit and miss with GCC/gFortran etc ver's 4.xx, 5.xx (as reported previously some years ago), but since vers 6.xx and 7.xx (and associated GDB's etc)  it almost never works.  Oddly, on the rare occasion when it works, it seems to be now only with linker errors. 

The feature works with c/cpp files.

3) Some "feature requests":

a) The drop down window for selecting project targets is too small/short.  Please allow the scroll box to extend much further (at least 8 -10 lines)

b) Please add a "view windows/tabs" item to the toolbar that allows reviewing and navigating directly to open files/tabs.

c) The right-click pop up menu has the vastly most common and important controls in a sub menu (e.g. cut/copy/paste), thus it is an unnecessary extra step to use those important features .. repeated hundreds of times each and every session (yes, I do use the key board short cuts, but still).  Could those appear at the top level in the pop-up, please?

d) When there are multiple open projects, switching between projects requires going to the "projects" tab, and double clicking on the desired project "to make it the live project".  It would be nice, as with the "target selector" to a have a drop box that lists and allows switching between projects, and so without having to leave the "symbols" etc tabs.

e) The symbols tabs "collapse" every time a new (open and already used/"symbolised") file .  It would be nice if the symbols list would be preserved (as expanded) when switching between files/tabs and the location of the current s/r/symbol be preserved (i.e. to make it bold for the current procedure of symbol.

... these are relatively minor things, and CB is a great product.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
      • My Best Post
    « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 02:39:44 pm »
    @DrOli: Please post the link that tells you to go to the derlios.de or berlios.de website; it has NOT been the proper website for years.

Tim S.
    C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
    On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
    --
    When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
    • Lives here!
    « Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:32:20 pm »
    a) The drop down window for selecting project targets is too small/short.  Please allow the scroll box to extend much further (at least 8 -10 lines)
    in trunk is a version that has a little tool button near the drop down list. There you can search for all targets

b) Please add a "view windows/tabs" item to the toolbar that allows reviewing and navigating directly to open files/tabs.
    the shortcut "alt+g" is great for finding files

c) The right-click pop up menu has the vastly most common and important controls in a sub menu (e.g. cut/copy/paste), thus it is an unnecessary extra step to use those important features .. repeated hundreds of times each and every session (yes, I do use the key board short cuts, but still).  Could those appear at the top level in the pop-up, please?
    I too find this annoying, but a larger  context menu is more annoying. I think 90% who use this menu entries more often should use keys for this...

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
    Re: The 20 September 2017 build (11176) is out. - Can't access bug/feature ticke
    « Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 04:22:07 pm »

... these are relatively minor things, and CB is a great product.

I agree with this. The Right-Click pop-up has too many things in it and the most important items (cut/copy/paste) are in an inconvenient submenu. Compare e.g. with Notepad++ which I think is more optimal.

Things I think could be modified in the pop-up menu. These are just my quick personal opinions
    - "toggle breakpoint" could be removed or pushed further down, it has a shortcut and is in the Debug menu anyway
    - "Bookmarks" I never use, could be removed
    - "Format use Astyle" seems like a special feature (I never use it). Move to main Edit menu?
    - "Browse Tracker". Not sure what it is doing. Could be removed
    - "Search at "Black Duck...". Why is this feature here?
    - "Locate in CodeBlocks" . Not sure what it does
    - "Add ToDo Item" ... I never use it
    - "Split View". feature I almost never use

In short, I think the menu is too cluttered with secondary things, while the most important (cut/copy/paste) suffers.

Just my opinion.
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:37:34 pm by cacb »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    Re: The 20 September 2017 build (11176) is out. - Can't access bug/feature ticke
    « Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 08:15:26 pm »
    1) SVN 11146 (ie. the previous nightly) crashed frequently.  Not 100% certain, but it seemed to be when there was at least two projects open, each a reasonable number of files in disparate locations, and possibly a large number of targets, and a sufficient number of "switching between" etc.  I'll let you know if 11176 does this, assuming I can figure how to get access to derlios.de/bug reporting.

We need a reliable way to reproduce this or we need backtraces (or crashes reports, codeblocks.xml, files). Without this information we could not do much.

2) A long standing "bug" with Fortran (f90) files is that the debug/error list cannot be used (e.g. double click on error) to navigate to the offending line directly.  One must do so manually.  This was a kind of 50/50 hit and miss with GCC/gFortran etc ver's 4.xx, 5.xx (as reported previously some years ago), but since vers 6.xx and 7.xx (and associated GDB's etc)  it almost never works.  Oddly, on the rare occasion when it works, it seems to be now only with linker errors. 
    The output is parsed using regular expressions. They could be edited in the advanced compiler options dialog or in
    the options_gfortran.xml. Most of the users and developers of cb are c/c++ devs, so we need help with the support
    for other languages.
    If you provide patches, I'll happily review and apply them.

Often reported problem which doesn't have a good solution, because the current menu is made of the set of things people use often.
    I'll move some of the menu items around and test with myself if migrating to the new configuration is too annoying or I can get used to it.
    If the experiment is successful, then I'll make a change for some night build to see how this change is received by more people.
    This could be improved if you disable some of the plugins you don't use.

d) When there are multiple open projects, switching between projects requires going to the "projects" tab, and double clicking on the desired project "to make it the live project".  It would be nice, as with the "target selector" to a have a drop box that lists and allows switching between projects, and so without having to leave the "symbols" etc tabs.
    This could be done in the similar fashion to the target select dialog, so patches welcome.

e) The symbols tabs "collapse" every time a new (open and already used/"symbolised") file .  It would be nice if the symbols list would be preserved (as expanded) when switching between files/tabs and the location of the current s/r/symbol be preserved (i.e. to make it bold for the current procedure of symbol.
    The symbols browser is going away with the next release (the c/c++ version), at least for people on linux/osx. So it is not too good if you're to used to it.

p.s. if you want to turn this in a discussion about the context menu, please start new topic! This one is for bug reports!

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
    « Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 10:30:08 pm »
    I have rebuilt from https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf under Kubuntu 17.04
    It resulted in build 11179. The build is fine, but I experience problems with the debugger (also seen before in build 11019).

Problem description: I have a console program using a .so library. The program runs fine, but the debugger only works for the main project, not for the code in the .so library. Breakpoints are ignored and I cannot step into the code in the .so library. Both projects are built with debug options.

Is this a known problem?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
    • Lives here!
      • Travis build status
    « Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 10:40:08 pm »
    cacb: What happens if you use gdb from the command line? Can you debug your library? Are you sure you're not stripping the symbols of your library (-s option)?

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
    « Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 10:56:20 pm »
    cacb: What happens if you use gdb from the command line? Can you debug your library? Are you sure you're not stripping the symbols of your library (-s option)?

There should be no symbol stripping going on, I have used this setup for a long time. I also checked the project file, but could not see anything like that.

on gdb from the command line, I can try. But I have never used gdb from the command line before so I will need to figure it out, how to set breakpoints and step etc.

EDIT: I was wrong, sorry. Indeed there was a -s option causing symbol stripping! Now the debugger works as expected, thanks a lot!
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:12:19 pm by cacb »