Author Topic: Code completion HELP!  (Read 2346 times)

Offline HRSherman

• Single posting newcomer
Code completion HELP!
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:35:50 pm »
Hi,
   I'm new to using Code::Blocks.  I'm just starting to develop/learn C and C++.   I'm having problems with the code completion feature in the editor.   It seems to work fine some times, but then doesn't seem to be working at all.  For example, I start typing printf() and the code completion pop up appears with the printf() function in the list of choices.  Then I create a new project the same day, I'm doing C exercises from a text, and type in the beginning of printf() again and nothing pops up or a list pops up but doesn't include the printf() choice.   In all cases I have coded the #include<stdio.h> at the top of the file.   Does anyone know what's going on? How can I make the code completion work all the time?  This is very frustrating as a new Code::Blocks user.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Regards.
Richard.

Offline HRSherman

Update
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:17:56 pm »
I've discovered that if I disable a bunch of unneeded plugin's  my problem stops.   But I don't know how to turn them off permanently.  The are turned on again when I quit and restart C::B.   
Can some one tell me how to turn them off permanently?  or do I have to uninstall them? 
Thanks.
HRS.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Code completion HELP!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:23:23 pm »
We have no Idea what Operating System OS you are using, please state the OS name and version?

We have no Idea what Code::Blocks version you are using, please state CB version?

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline HRSherman

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:45:53 pm »
Sorry about that.  I haven't posted a question in forum for a LONG time.   Silly me ;D ::)

I'm using Windows 7, and C:B version 16.01 with the GNU gcc 32 bit compiler installed.

I also have a new observation.  The problem returns when I close a project and then create a new one without restarting C::B.  The disabled plugins do seem to be staying disabled when I restart.   So it looks like I may be incorrect in assuming it is directly connected to running to many plugins.

It does return when I close a project and start a new one though. It does not return if I reopen the an earlier project that didn't have the problem.  So it looks to be project related.

Thanks for responding.  I'm still learning the ropes here.
HRS

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 01:29:12 pm »
Can someone else try to help the OP with the Code completion issue.
I do NOT use that plugin and can NOT help him figure out if it is a normal slow CC issue, an CC configuration, or other type of a problem.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org