Author Topic: Unrequested changes to compiler settings  (Read 2957 times)

Offline gib

• Multiple posting newcomer
Unrequested changes to compiler settings
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:46:38 am »
I'm helping a student who is using CB in her research project.  She is very much a learner, and relies on me a lot (the blind leading the blind).  Initially she was working with the MinGW compilers that came installed with CB, but for various reasons we have switched to using mingw-w64\mingw32, i.e. we changed the Toolchains for the GNU C and Fortran compilers.  I say 'we' because I, working on my home PC, am using the same setup as she is so that I can track what she's doing.  Since I mostly work at home, we communicate almost solely by email, i.e. I don't see what she is seeing.

Yesterday she was building a C+Fortran DLL project successfully.  This morning, she tells me, having left CB open, she added a Fortran file and tried to rebuild, but got a long list of  pthread errors relating to one of the libraries.  The added Fortran file has no connection with OpenMP (the reason for pthread).  This was a complete mystery to me, and the mystery just changed when she informed me that she noticed that the GNU compiler toolchain settings had reverted to the CB MinGW compilers.  After resetting the compilers to the separate MinGW installation everything is OK again.

Since I was not a first-hand witness to what she did I have only her word that she didn't change any setting this morning before attempting the build, but I have no reason to disbelieve her - she knows better than to mess with the settings.  So my question is this: is there any way for the compiler settings to change without the user requesting it?
The CB version is 13.12, in case that's relevant.

Thanks

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Unrequested changes to compiler settings
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 03:04:34 am »
I have had happen with MSVC compilers before; but, that was several years ago.

If the CB configuration file is deleted, it will try to find an GCC compiler on CB startup.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline gib

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 03:16:03 am »
In this case CB was left running overnight, nothing deleted or changed.  Supposedly.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:52:06 pm »
1) I would use a newer version of codeblocks.... this is 4 years old..
2) Make sure you are using projects

What operating system are you using? Anti virus scanner?

Offline gib

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 11:43:58 pm »
I'm not sure what anti-virus program her machine has. 
Not sure what you mean about using projects - I don't know how to use CB without a project.
Can I be certain that if I upgrade to the latest CB version everything that is currently working will continue to work the same?  I'm being cautious because of previous experience (with VS).

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 11:47:28 pm »
As long as you don't update your compiler framework anything should work. Codeblocks has not changed anything in the build chain...

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 03:21:47 am »
As long as you don't update your compiler framework anything should work. Codeblocks has not changed anything in the build chain...

FYI: If you installed the CB with MinGW GCC compiler, you need to be careful to NOT lose the MinGW GCC Compiler.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline gib

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:51:08 am »
We're not using the MinGW compilers bundled with CB now.  We use either mingw-w64 or cygwin.