Author Topic: Scripted Wizard: Adding feature to wxWidgets wizard (testing steps)  (Read 10070 times)

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Anyone already have a list of things to test after modifying wxWidgets wizard?

I have created a patch that adds these project variables and now I need to test for problem(s).
Code
      WX_CFG
      WX_COMPILER example value is "gcc".
      WX_SUFFIX
      WX_VERSION

This is part one of my planned changes to get the CB wxWidgets wizard to work with the binaries provided by the wxwidgets.org team. The next part requires editing the xrc and it was a sticking point the last time I tried this type of change.

But, I re-wrote the changes from scratch this time and I think I made the changes much smaller in size.

The xrc will have a box above or below the "configure:" to enter an compiler name which will default to the correct value most of the time. Example values will be "gcc", "vc", or "bcc". To do this right I will have to do major changes to the OnLeave_WxConf to allow the entering of the prebuilt binaries value like "gcc471TDM" to work.

Edit1: My current test plans are
1. Check with missing default.conf (to confirm it works with default created config)
2A.Check on win32 with at least two compilers ( gcc wx3.1.x, bcc wx3.0.2, and openwatcom wx2.8.12)
2B.Check on win64 with at least two compilers ( gcc wx3.1.x and MSVC wx3.0.2)
3A. Check on win32 with two downloaded binaries ( wxMSW-3.0.3_gcc510TDM_Dev.7z and wxMSW-3.0.3_gcc492TDM_Dev.7z )
3B. Check on win64 with two downloaded binaries ( gcc510TDM_x64 and vc???_x64 )
4. Check with release and debug self built binaries in one project
5. Check that add wxWidgets target works

I have no idea if I can figure out how to build wxWidgets using bcc and openwatcom.

Edit2: Created patch https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/508/

Tim S.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:39:58 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Hi, thank you for working on this. This is important work...

I have downloaded and applied this patch.
I have downloaded https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/download/v3.0.3/wxMSW-3.0.3_gcc492TDM_Dev.7z
extracted it and tried to create a new wxWidgets project.
I Tried all paths but i always get the error that the wxWidgets library could not be found...
my directory structure:
Code
wxMSW-3.0.3_gcc492TDM_Dev
└───lib
    └───gcc492TDM_dll
        ├───mswu
        │   └───wx
        │       └───msw
        └───mswud
            └───wx
                └───msw

any direction how to install and use it correctly?

greetings

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Scripted Wizard: Adding feature to wxWidgets wizard (testing steps)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:14 pm »
You should have just needed to change the compiler from the default of "gcc" to "gcc492TDM" to get it to work.

Did you try that?

I missed seeing this post; sorry about the delay in response.

Edit: I just noticed that you failed to have the include folder in the path shown.
In addition to the library you need the header download.

Tim S.
--

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:08:02 pm »
You should have just needed to change the compiler from the default of "gcc" to "gcc492TDM" to get it to work.
You mean I need to add several compiler settings for different wx binary distribution? Thus for one distribution, I have to add one compiler? The compiler should matches the one used to build the binary distribution.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 02:17:35 am »
You mean I need to add several compiler settings for different wx binary distribution? Thus for one distribution, I have to add one compiler? The compiler should matches the one used to build the binary distribution.

wxWidgets is an C++ library, therefore the compiler to build the code using the library must match the compiler used to build the library.

The wxWidgets wizard compiler value must match part of the foldername of the wx binary distribution.

Tim S.
--

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:25 am »
wxWidgets is an C++ library, therefore the compiler to build the code using the library must match the compiler used to build the library.

The wxWidgets wizard compiler value must match part of the foldername of the wx binary distribution.

Tim S.

Can we automate this? Or at least give the user a warning that he has to edit the compiler?

[EDIT:] I have no windows machine for the next weeks so i can not test this....

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 04:17:40 pm »

Tim S.

Can we automate this? Or at least give the user a warning that he has to edit the compiler?

[EDIT:] I have no windows machine for the next weeks so i can not test this....

It is already automated; but, it remembers the value if the user changes it.
So, if the user set a bad value the first time though; it, will remember the bad value till it is changed.

Oops, I have not tested to see if it lets the compiler to be changed on the second run of the wizard.

It does; I forgot I added that feature over 6 months ago; when I stopped doing the changes because of real live issues.

Edit: In other words, early in the wizard the user sets the CB Compiler to be used; it sets the WX_COMPILER based on that to either
gcc, bcc, vc, or wat. It somehow remembers the changed WX_COMPILER for gcc; even after I change it to bcc after back stepping the wizard twice.

Edit2: The test plan above I still need to do those steps because I forgot what was the last of them I actually did.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:37:12 pm by stahta01 »
--