Author Topic: Joining Code::Blocks  (Read 4412 times)

Offline alpha5056

• Single posting newcomer
Joining Code::Blocks
« on: May 06, 2017, 11:37:27 pm »
Hello,
I am considering joining the Code::Blocks project(part-time). How would I sign up if I wanted to? I couldn't find any information on this topic.

Also, do you have per-os source code? I'd like to develop for windows 7, but I don't want to break code for other OSes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:39:29 pm by alpha5056 »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Joining Code::Blocks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 11:53:40 pm »
Joining the project happens after you've proven that you can contribute useful patches.
The easiest way to start is by looking at our list of issues on the project page on sf.net.
Then you can try to fix any issue. And of course first you need to build C::B from source. :)

There is no separate source code per OS, because this will mean we would have 3 or more separate versions.
We have a single version used to build for all OSes. There are some ifdefs here and there, but these are rare.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline alpha5056

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:27:27 am »
Ok, I guess I'll do all my compiling on a lubuntu vm with mingw(I'm not a fan of cygwin, because every windows program just adds more bloat)

As far as "proving myself", I have some of my own ideas on what to do. I'll look at those bugs though.  ;) Thing is, I don't get much free time  :(

One idea I had was moving(or at least copying) the project to Github. We'll see.

So, if/when I do make some improvements, how should I submit them?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:08:47 am »
One idea I had was moving(or at least copying) the project to Github. We'll see.
Why everybody cares where the project is located?
Even if you get dev access, you cannot move the project to github until you get consensus from all developers.
Here is a clone of the main repo: https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf
You can use it to make patches, but please don't ask for pull requests. I mostly ignore them!

So, if/when I do make some improvements, how should I submit them?
Open tickets with type=patch on sf.net or post a topic in the forum.
Posting in the forum beforehand is a good idea.
It might save your time doing something that won't be accepted.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 08:28:56 am »
lubuntu vm with mingw
Why cross compiling from linux instead building a native linux version with gcc?

(I'm not a fan of cygwin, because every windows program just adds more bloat)
CodeBlocks is not a POSIX application, just build a native windows version

As far as "proving myself", I have some of my own ideas on what to do. I'll look at those bugs though.  ;) Thing is, I don't get much free time  :(

No time and the first thing you want to do is not even coding related?

I dont know, but i smell hot, thin air here. But prove me wrong, how about fixing code completion for c++11? Or get it going with wxWidgets 3.1 (and that doesnt mean just not crashing but also not running 2 times slower than Eclipse with 4 times more visual bugs ;D)

Offline alpha5056

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 07:10:12 pm »
Why cross compiling from linux instead building a native linux version with gcc?
CodeBlocks is not a POSIX application, just build a native windows version

That's not what I meant. I tend to use the portable versions of applications because whenever you install a windows app, there's some more permanent bloat in the registry.

No time and the first thing you want to do is not even coding related?
There's always more to a project than just the project itself. Websites, forums, documentation, hosting infrastructure, etc.

...how about fixing code completion for c++11? Or get it going with wxWidgets 3.1 (and that doesnt mean just not crashing but also not running 2 times slower than Eclipse with 4 times more visual bugs ;D)

Alright, so I'll try to compile Code::Blocks using the latest version of wxWidgets(3.0.3 is currently the latest stable release).

I don't intend to be an extremely active developer, just someone who submits an occasional bugfix or improvement.

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 08:16:08 pm »
That's not what I meant. I tend to use the portable versions of applications because whenever you install a windows app, there's some more permanent bloat in the registry.
And again this sounds like you are reading too many websites of the type www.howto-make-windows-fast-again.com. What do these sites say cygwin actually is :P?

I don't intend to be an extremely active developer, just someone who submits an occasional bugfix or improvement.
Welcome to the world of open source software development, thats why these bug trackers and patches exist. From time to time you fix something, make an improvement, submit the patches, and let those people who devote way more time for the project than you decide if these patches can be integrated. They can evaluate much better than an ocassional developer what side effects these patches can cause and if they do more harm than good.

And if they decide to not accept your patches? Make a fork and maintain your own version with your patches integrated.

Offline alpha5056

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 08:50:19 pm »
And again this sounds like you are reading too many websites of the type www.howto-make-windows-fast-again.com. What do these sites say cygwin actually is :P?

Nope. I once had google earth installed, and even after complete uninstallation, I still manually counted about 30 or so CLSIDs belonging to google. The only benefit of windows is being compatible with windows :D

Welcome to the world of open source software development, thats why these bug trackers and patches exist. From time to time you fix something, make an improvement, submit the patches, and let those people who devote way more time for the project than you decide if these patches can be integrated. They can evaluate much better than an ocassional developer what side effects these patches can cause and if they do more harm than good.

And if they decide to not accept your patches? Make a fork and maintain your own version with your patches integrated.

That's pretty much what I planned on doing. Instead of keeping any fixes I do make to myself, I'd like to 'give back to the community' and let other people see them and possibly use them.