Author Topic: Can't find compiler Excutable in your confugured search path's GCC Compiler  (Read 4990 times)

Offline revcoyote

• Single posting newcomer
Installed codeblocks-13.12mingw-setup.exe, so yes there is a compiler installed. I know it's not the latest version. I am learning C++ from a book and that is the version they are using and I don't want to get lost. I tried defining the path in Settings/Compiler/Search Directories and where it says Compiler I used C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin. I still get the same error. What am I doing wrong?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
I don't think there where a lot changes in the ui, so you can't use 16.02, but there are a lot bugfixes and improvements so i would recommend to update to a newer version...

are you sure you selected the right compiler from the drop down menu on the top of the settings dialog. You have to select the same compiler also if you create a new project...

Are the exes there? Can you run them through the command line? Have you installed a second compiler somewhere?

Other then that: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ-Compiling_(general)#Q:_How_do_I_report_a_compilation_problem_on_the_forums.3F

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Try using "C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW" because you are NOT supposed to have it end in bin.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline revcoyote

Yes the compiler and it's executables are there that why I had the search point to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin" I had tried with the "C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW" didn't help. The selected compiler is currently set to GNU GCC Compiler. There isn't a selection specifically for MinGW version of the GNU GCC compiler. I did remove Visual studio in case that was a conflict. Wasn't using it anyways. After removing VS I reinstalled Code::Blocks. Still having the same problem. I might have to reinstall VS and take the book back and find one that uses VS since the IDE and compiler are in the same application.

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I tried defining the path in Settings/Compiler/Search Directories and where it says Compiler I used C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin. I still get the same error. What am I doing wrong?

It's not "Settings -> Compiler  -> Global compiler settings -> GNU GCC compiler -> Search Directories" (that's for include-files and need not to be set in normal cases, because the compiler knows where it is), but "Settings -> Compiler  -> Global compiler settings -> GNU GCC compiler -> Toolchain executables" (the next tab on the right side, it might be hidden, but in this case, you have a little black triangle at the right side of the tabs to click on).
On the appropriate tab, set the "Compiler's installation directory" (without the bin) and make sure the names of the executables are correct. On windows it can be (e.g.) either "gcc" or "mingw32-gcc".

Offline revcoyote

Yes, Jens had the solution, I found a the path in the compiler installation directory was wrong in the toolchains executables tab. One I corrected that it could find the compiler. Thank you all for your time and help. Now I can go to learn C++.