Author Topic: Code::Blocks 16.01 Install - Windows 7  (Read 2795 times)

Hypercube

Code::Blocks 16.01 Install - Windows 7
« on: April 13, 2017, 01:47:50 am »
I installed Code::Blocks under a standard account using codeblocks-16.01mingw-setup and it started with an error saying it had problems finding the GCC compiler. I did Settings > Compiler and then chose to Reset defaults. Have not seen that error again. What did I do to cause that issue? Also, I chose to perform the install in C:/CodeBlocks instead of the default Program Files to hopefully avoid write issues. It turns out I needed Administrator level to perform the install anyways and my standard account still has only Read & execute and Read permissions under the Security tab in the CodeBlocks Properties dialog box. Don't I need write as well? (A book I am following told me I want write permissions...)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Code::Blocks 16.01 Install - Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:46:40 am »
What did I do to cause that issue? Also, I chose to perform the install in C:/CodeBlocks instead of the default Program Files to hopefully avoid write issues.
What write issues? You're not supposed to save anything in the install folder. The config files are saved in your AppData folder. Your projects should be saved somewhere else, too.

... still has only Read & execute and Read permissions under the Security tab in the CodeBlocks Properties dialog box. Don't I need write as well? (A book I am following told me I want write permissions...)
This is related to the scripting engine of C::B. I'm not sure why you're even opening this dialog in the first place. :)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Code::Blocks 16.01 Install - Windows 7
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:12:23 pm »
... still has only Read & execute and Read permissions under the Security tab in the CodeBlocks Properties dialog box. Don't I need write as well? (A book I am following told me I want write permissions...)
This is related to the scripting engine of C::B. I'm not sure why you're even opening this dialog in the first place. :)
i think he talks about security tab of the folder permissions on windows, not codeblocks

As far as i know codeblocks does not need write permissions on its installation folder, but of of course it needs write permissions on your project folder.
If this does not answer your question please rephrase it because honestly i don't know what you want...

greetings