Author Topic: cannot set default compiler  (Read 1087 times)

Offline cbnewbie

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: cannot set default compiler
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 01:24:28 am »
This is interesting. I am using Mageia Linux and gcc is installed in /usr (see mageia-gcc.txt). But there are some links between /bin, /usr/bin and /etc/alternatives:

$ cd /etc/alternatives
$ ls -l gcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Mär 29 21:09 gcc -> /usr/bin/gcc-5.4.0*
$ cd /usr/bin/
$ ls -l gcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Mär 29 21:09 gcc -> /etc/alternatives/gcc*
$ cd /bin
$ ls -l gcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Mär 29 21:09 gcc -> /etc/alternatives/gcc*
$

Offline cbnewbie

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 01:31:12 am »
I attached two files with the output of strace.

What I did: I started cb, selected the detected compiler as default at start up. When cb was running I tried to auto-detect the compiler because the toolchain path was still empty. After setting the path manually to /usr I closed cb.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:38:35 am by cbnewbie »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 01:59:53 am »
Please - do the following:
1. start cb under strace
2. open settings -> editor
3. change some settings (switch any checkbox)
4. press ok
5. close cb

Then post the log, but first start cb again and check if the settings is saved...
<debugger plugin maintainer>
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cbnewbie

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 12:12:03 pm »
This time I did the following:

1. start cb under strace
2. open settings -> editor
3. change some settings (switch any checkbox) -> check "Detect indent style" and "Use TAB character"
4. press ok
5. close cb
6. start cb again -> previously checked options have been saved!

I had to split and compress the strace output file into two parts: cb_strace_03.7z and cb_strace_04.7z

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 12:37:09 am »
Can you please post a single file? Use a paste bin like service if the forum doesn't allow big attachments!
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 12:41:45 am »
It seems that 03 is after 04. Is this the case?
Also it seems that the file is written successfully:
Code: [Select]
stat("/home/mer/.config/codeblocks/default.conf", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0664, st_size=36236, ...}) = 0
lstat("/home/mer/.config/codeblocks/default.conf", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0664, st_size=36236, ...}) = 0
access("/home/mer/.config/codeblocks/default.conf", W_OK) = 0
lstat("/home/mer/.config/codeblocks/default.conf", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0664, st_size=36236, ...}) = 0
open("/home/mer/.config/codeblocks/default.conf.temp", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0100664) = 5
write(5, "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UT"..., 47512) = 47512
close(5)                                = 0
rename("/home/mer/.config/codeblocks/default.conf.temp", "/home/mer/.config/codeblocks/default.conf") = 0

Do you have dropbox or something similar setup for your home folder? I've heard complaints of brokenness in such setups.
Does the modification time of the file changes?

Offline cbnewbie

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 02:25:35 pm »
Yes, 04 is first part, 03 is second part. Sorry!

Yes, the file (default.conf) gets a new timestamp and when I open cb again it remebers my choices (selected checkboxes). The only thing which causes problems is that whenever I try to set the toolchain path to a different folder than the "auto-detect folder" cb does not keep that path. It seems to me that cb ignores any valid path and fills in its "auto-detect folder" during start up. As mentioned before gcc is installed in /usr/bin with a link also in /bin. Since /bin is before /usr/bin in my $PATH cb finds /bin/gcc first. Obviously cb accepts the first found gcc as default - which makes sense - but it does not care whether another valid path has already been specified. So, I cannot set another toolchain path for gcc.

No, I do not have dropbox.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 06:06:38 pm »
Do you hit "Auto detect"?

Offline cbnewbie

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 09:00:58 pm »
Yes, I did. But it did not change something. During startup cb always puts the path of the first detected gcc in the edit field of the toolchain path. No matter whether I selected a different valid path or not. Maybe "auto-detect" does always run during startup? Even if it is not neccessary .

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 08:58:13 am »
Don't know what is going on. :(
You'll have to debug it to find why it opens the dialog every time.

But it is really strange that Mageia devs have decided to place something like gcc in /bin.
Are you really sure it is there? Can you do find /bin -ls?
What happens if you set the path to /usr?
Btw have you seen the note below the path control that states that you have to remove the bin from the path you enter?

Offline cbnewbie

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 12:07:21 pm »
$ ls -l /bin/gcc                                                                                                           
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Mär 29 21:09 /bin/gcc -> /etc/alternatives/gcc*                                                                 
$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/gcc                                                                                               
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Mär 29 21:09 /etc/alternatives/gcc -> /usr/bin/gcc-5.4.0*                                                       
$ ls -l /usr/bin/gcc-5.4.0                                                                                                 
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 895864 Mär 26 22:02 /usr/bin/gcc-5.4.0*                                                                             
$ ls -l /usr/bin/gcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Mär 29 21:09 /usr/bin/gcc -> /etc/alternatives/gcc*

Yes, I have removed "bin" from the path. But there is already something wrong because "auto-detect" should at least fill in "/" in the toolchain path. However, this field is always empty after startup - even if I select "/usr" and close cb normally.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 08:51:03 pm »
Try a night build and if it fails you'll have to debug it yourself or demonstrate how to reproduce it in a more mainstream linux distribution.