Author Topic: Tab, dropdown, some menu items have huge font  (Read 4331 times)

Offline airways

• Single posting newcomer
Tab, dropdown, some menu items have huge font
« on: March 24, 2017, 03:47:46 pm »
I'm hoping someone can provide some insight on this. I'm trying to figure out how to reset Code::Block’s UI so that it stops using large fonts in these few places. This is specifically not about font size of the editor itself, which is fine. Screenshots attached. I use Windows 10 on a Surface Book which has an internal HDPI monitor while my external is a standard DPI DisplayPort monitor.

This only started happening recently. I haven’t made any changes to the way I use my machine or to any Code::Blocks settings, previously it would only require logging out and back in to reset any scaling issues but this seems to be application specific because only certain elements have too-large fonts:

-   Some menu items but not all
-   Sidebar tabs
-   Document tabs
-   Dialog text

Any help would be very much appreciated, it is very frustrating to use the IDE in this state.

Deleting the %APPDATA%\CodeBlocks folder did not change anything, I am thinking it is something saved by wxWidgets? Unfortunately I know nothing about this toolkit (I use IUP) so I have no idea how to go about debugging this.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Tab, dropdown, some menu items have huge font
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 06:24:09 pm »
this seems to be wxWidgets bug, and should be fixed in some newer wxWidgets version (>3.1???)
I don't think this is a thing to saved, but it just happens...

what version of codeblocks / wxWidgets are you using?
did you updated it recently?

have you the possibility to compile codeblocks by yourself?

Offline airways

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:28 pm »
Maybe this bug or related to it? http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/11008

I wonder if there might be CB bug in play here as well if font sizes are not got from the GetNonClientMetrics() as mentioned in that thread? Seems possible because only the Help > CodeBlocks menu item has the issue, I wonder if that item's font is set with the same value used for tabs and dialog boxes somehow?

Building CodeBlocks with an unsupported version might be a bit challenging for me. The instructions at http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows seem to be somewhat involved.
I may give it a try if there is no other option.

Just tried to run the nightly build from 3-1-17 and it complains about missing DLLs that seem to be from wxWidgets:

"The program can't start because wxmsw28u_gcc_cb.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. "

But that also appears to be 2.8 still so it probably won't fix this issue if the above bug is the cause, appears to be fixed in 2.9+.

Offline airways

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:18:19 pm »
Oh forgot to say, I am using 16.01 rev 10702 from binary installer. wxWidgets version 2.8.12.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 07:21:37 pm »
you can download the dll from the same forum post? you probably need also the mingw dll also from this nightly build forum post

i am asking this, because something about high dpi was fixed in the last view days (weeks?) if i remember correctly? It could also be that it was only for linux...

Offline airways

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:13:19 pm »
Ah okay I had downloaded directly from SourceForge file listing, I will give those archives a try with the nightly build.

Offline airways

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:23:25 pm »
Brilliant, the nightly build fixes the issue!

Thanks a lot for your help, though I should have been able to figure out how to get it to run. I'll be following the nightly builds forum closely now.