Author Topic: Linux and windows Codeblocks build  (Read 4254 times)

Offline anandamu16

• Multiple posting newcomer
Linux and windows Codeblocks build
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:50:39 am »
Hi,

I am having a doubt, can anyone clear it?

- Suppose, I have a codeblocks source code that has been developed in Linux. Now If I try to build the same codeblocks source code to build in windows. Will it be alright or will there be some problem?
- What is the correct configuration of wxwidget required to build codeblocks (Monolithic=1, unicode=1, Shared=1) or anything else? Do we have to use different wxwidget version for windows or linux or we can use a common.(I mean whether I can directly use the wxwidget build of linux on windows, or I need to build it separately for windows??)
- GNU GCC Compiler will be same for windows or Linux (i.e; MINGW) or different??

I am asking these questions, because I want to perform development on codeblocks both on linux and windows. I want to know the difference between development on windows and development on codeblocks

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Linux and windows Codeblocks build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:23:20 pm »
Hi,

I am having a doubt, can anyone clear it?

- Suppose, I have a codeblocks source code that has been developed in Linux. Now If I try to build the same codeblocks source code to build in windows. Will it be alright or will there be some problem?
- What is the correct configuration of wxwidget required to build codeblocks (Monolithic=1, unicode=1, Shared=1) or anything else? Do we have to use different wxwidget version for windows or linux or we can use a common.(I mean whether I can directly use the wxwidget build of linux on windows, or I need to build it separately for windows??)
- GNU GCC Compiler will be same for windows or Linux (i.e; MINGW) or different??

I am asking these questions, because I want to perform development on codeblocks both on linux and windows. I want to know the difference between development on windows and development on codeblocks

Linux and Windows is NOT Binary compatible; therefore libs built for one can NOT be used on the other.

The CB Project uses separate CB projects for Linux and Windows.
Under Linux, the CB Project uses wx-config to determine which wxWidgets libs to link.
Under Linux, it is common to use wxWidgets version 3.0.2; while under Windows 2.8.12 is common.

It is possible to cross compiler Windows code under Linux; but, please DO NOT try to do that!!!

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org