Author Topic: codeblocks svn source code folder and file structure.  (Read 4111 times)

Offline anandamu16

• Multiple posting newcomer
codeblocks svn source code folder and file structure.
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:31:46 am »
I recently downloaded the codeblock from svn from here "http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/svn". After looking into the folders I found some uncommon files. Help us to Identify the significance of them. I googled but there was no helpful document:

- There is a folder- "debian" which further contains subfolders as "lintian", "source" and other files also (.install, .spec.in, .menu,.package etc.), what is the significance of them? They are generic or either related to windows/linux? As a developer, I should/shoudn't modify them?
- Inside "..\codeblocks_svn_code\src\" there were different files with ".bat" extension (batch_build_all.bat, batch_build_core.bat etc.), what are the use?
- Codeblock src code also have codeblocks.cbp and codeblocks.workspace files, How building codeblocks.cbp is different from building codeblocks.workspace? what will be the changes reflected in folder "devel" and "output" created after building?

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: codeblocks svn source code folder and file structure.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:43:53 am »
- There is a folder- "debian" which further contains subfolders as "lintian", "source" and other files also (.install, .spec.in, .menu,.package etc.), what is the significance of them? They are generic or either related to windows/linux? As a developer, I should/shoudn't modify them?
That's for Linux, do you know the debian system?  Debian -- The Universal Operating System

- Inside "..\codeblocks_svn_code\src\" there were different files with ".bat" extension (batch_build_all.bat, batch_build_core.bat etc.), what are the use?
"bat" files are used for Windows system, they just copy some files from one folder to another, you can open the bat file by any editor, and see what's inside it. Different bat files means you have different targets. For example,  batch_build_core.bat is used for core plugins.

- Codeblock src code also have codeblocks.cbp and codeblocks.workspace files, How building codeblocks.cbp is different from building codeblocks.workspace? what will be the changes reflected in folder "devel" and "output" created after building?
codeblocks.workspace contains codeblocks.cbp. Workspace and cbp(codeblocks project) files are used for project management.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline anandamu16

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:49:54 pm »
I didn't worked on linux, so I am not aware of file extensions used. Yeah.. I know debian. SoI assume that m4 files available in codeblocks is also related to unix, Am I right? (Google says..... m4 files are macro file for unix).

"bat" files are used for Windows system, they just copy some files from one folder to another
How update30.bat is different from update30_64.bat? (I know 30 means wxwidget3.0 but what does 64 mean, is it for 64 bit?)

Also inside"...\src\sdk\" there is a folder called "mozilla_chardet" what is it for?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:01:00 pm by anandamu16 »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 02:22:06 pm »
I didn't worked on linux, so I am not aware of file extensions used. Yeah.. I know debian. SoI assume that m4 files available in codeblocks is also related to unix, Am I right? (Google says..... m4 files are macro file for unix).
Yes, you are right.
"bat" files are used for Windows system, they just copy some files from one folder to another
How update30.bat is different from update30_64.bat? (I know 30 means wxwidget3.0 but what does 64 mean, is it for 64 bit?)
Correct.

Also inside"...\src\sdk\" there is a folder called "mozilla_chardet" what is it for?
chardet means character encoding detection from mozilla.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.