Author Topic: Code::Blocks Windows wxWidgets 3.1.0 64-bit  (Read 12514 times)

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
Code::Blocks Windows wxWidgets 3.1.0 64-bit
« on: February 04, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »
I've been updating the Building Code::Blocks from source on Windows wiki page.

I've managed to build wxWidgets 3.1.0 and Code::Blocks both 64-bit.  The Windows projects however are hard-coded for wxWidgets 3.0.x.  A bit of editing the configuration files gets past that.  There are outstanding issues however, like when closing the IDE and then attempting to relaunch it it complains that it is already running - the old process doesn't terminate completely.  Other issues are present as well I'm sure.

Would it be possible to get the project files properly updated to source wxWidgets 3.1.0?  That is the latest stable version from upstream, along with 2.8.12.  Getting the project files to reflect 3.1.0 would then allow easier building which means easier testing.

Why do I want a full 64-bit 3.1.0 build on Windows?  Because it's freakin' 2017 man.  :P  ;)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Code::Blocks Windows wxWidgets 3.1.0 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 05:13:04 pm »
That is the latest stable version from upstream, along with 2.8.12.
This is wrong. Latest stable is 3.0.2. 3.1.0 is a development version.From wxwidgets.org:
Please notice that while 3.1.0 is officially a "development" version because it is not fully compatible with 3.0.x...

Anyways: if you want to report bugs, do so, but make sure to search the tickets before posting. There are lots of issues reported against wx3.x, some are fixed already and some are not.
https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/search/?q=labels:%22wx30%22
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 05:16:21 pm »
Damn it, I didn't realize that 3.1.0 was a development branch.  I'll go back over the Wiki and update everything back to 3.0.2.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 06:27:38 pm »
A question: is there an "official" compiler that is meant to be used with Code::Blocks?  The reason I ask is that I've been using MinGW-Builds GCC 6.3.0.  That, apparently, will not compile wxWidgets 3.0.2.  The installing from source page I wrote along with MinGW-Builds.  I know TDM-GCC has had a "preferred" status but the most current version of that is 5.1.0.  If TDM is preferred then I will go back and re-write the page using that as a reference.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:45:56 pm »
Keep in mind that C::B built with wx3.x will probably be as buggy as wx3.1. So if you don't intend to report detailed bugs or post patches it is not a good idea to use it.
As far as I know the nightlies are using tdm 5.x and the last release is using 4.9. The 5.1 builds have some issue caused by the compiler no one has time to research. I'm using only linux, so I don't know what is the exact situation.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 08:54:34 pm »
The issue that leads me to seek an "official" compiler is simply the quirks each of them come with.  If there is a "blessed" compiler, it doesn't matter which one, then I can write up the building page saying "use this for building, use whatever you want for your code."  As it is now the page has some exceptional issues, like "-D_WIN32_IE=0x0603" that I'm not sure even apply to other compilers.  If the nightlies use TDM 5.1.0 32-bit then I'll lean towards that, if 4.9 is the compiler then I'll use that.  I'm just a random guy editing a wiki page though so I'm not going to sanction a particular compiler without team blessing.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 09:30:19 pm »
Which page are you talking about?

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 09:36:13 pm »
This page: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows

I did a major overhaul of it quite a while ago and now I'm revisiting it.  The thing is I wrote the page with MinGW-Builds as the reference.  Now that I'm revisiting it there really should be, at least I think, a clear reference compiler - so people following the instructions don't run into road-blocks like using a different compiler than what I used.

Offline Commaster

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 07:54:05 am »
Keep in mind that C::B built with wx3.x will probably be as buggy as wx3.1. So if you don't intend to report detailed bugs or post patches it is not a good idea to use it.
Dear oBFusCATed, does this mean, that we are actively targeting 3.0 now? For the longest time I though, that C::B is mostly for 2.8.12...
I have a few issues running on 3.0 and if you would confirm, that C::B is on 3.0-fixing-spree, I would prepare a list and reproduction steps, where possible, to polish the code base.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 11:33:19 am »
I'm fixing as many issues as possible and I'm using wx3 based cb at home to find more.
See this link https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/search/?q=labels:%22wx30%22 for list of issues and their status.
Please don't post a list here. But separate issue on the issue tracker.
Here they'll get lost!

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 09:30:13 pm »
I'm thinking of standardizing on TDM-GCC 5.1.0?  That is the latest version on the TDM web-site and it is also the compiler set up on the MinGW page:

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/MinGW_installation

I should note that I also re-did the MinGW page, adding the images and such, BUT, it recommended TDM-GCC before I re-did it.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 10:20:47 pm »
What do you mean by standardizing TDM 5.1.0?
The build system of C::B doesn't require it and anyone is free to use any compiler he/she likes.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 10:32:02 pm »
The "-D_WIN32_IE=0x0603" I mentioned?  It is required with MinGW-Builds as that has a newer version of the Windows RT libraries which has a bug in it.  I'm very sure, TDM-GCC doesn't require it because it has an older version of the RT which doesn't have the bug.  "Standardizing" would mean instructions that don't have lots of "if's" in them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:34:01 pm by headkase »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 11:16:56 pm »
Then what you do when people start reporting crashes due to the compiler?
Check the recent nightly threads for an example. Unfortunately non of the windows devs has the time to investigate why this happens.
This is of course if I remember correctly the situation.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 11:26:03 pm »
Dammit, well, here's what I'm going to do: TDM-GCC 5.1.0 is used for the Windows Nightlies so that's what I'm going to write the page around.  If the Nightlies compiler changes then I'll try to update the page as soon as I notice.

Objections?