User forums > Embedded development

Looking for example of "Post-build steps"

(1/8) > >>

Pavel_47:
Hello,

I want to integrate arm-elf-objdump tool in Code::Blocks, that disassemble an object file.
I want it to runs immediately after build is terminated.
So I considered that "Post-build steps" option is the best location to integrate arm-elf-objdump into processing flow.
But unfortunately I didn't find any document that would help me to resolve the problem.

Anyway I've just tried command-line case for arm-elf-objdump (this way this command is executed from command line).
Without surprises it didn't work ... none disassembly file was generated.
Certainly, the Post-build step command have a particular syntax that probably uses placeholders for input/output and flags.
Is someone aware of such kind of things ?
Thanks.

Pavel_47:
Small correction: the correct name of the command is arm-none-eabi-objdump, the name I used in previous message is from old version of "GNU Tools ARM Embedded"

christobal:
I'm not sure, if output redirection works directly from the post-build steps.
You probably can call objdump within it's own cmd instance like:

--- Code: ---cmd /C "arm-elf-objdump ... "
--- End code ---

but then you have to set the paths to the compiler executable and the object files. You can use Code::Blocks variables for this (cf. http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Variable_expansion).
Alternatively, you can put the whole command in a batch file and start it from the post-build steps (again, with the full path to the compiler and object files).

The result of the post-build step execution is shown in the Build Log. Just check the messages there if anything doesn't work as expected.

Pavel_47:
Thanks Christobal,

I've tried your suggestion. For the moment it doesn't work.
But I think it's a right way to explore.
At least I've found a conformation of your idea (please, see the screenshot from Block::Code help).
But in order to accelerate workaround, indeed it would be nice to consult with build log.
But I couldn't find it. Have you en idea where it's located ?

christobal:
Post-build messages are displayed in the "Build log" tab or in the generated Build Log html file.

Right at the end of the Build log, you should see something like:

--- Code: ---Output file is ..\result\Core0.elf with size 406.01 KB
[100.0%] Running target post-build steps
tricore-objcopy -O ihex  ..\result\Core0.elf ..\result\Core0.hex
Process terminated with status 0 (0 minute(s), 9 second(s))
0 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 9 second(s))
Build log saved as:

--- End code ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version