Author Topic: cout - terminal font size ?  (Read 6272 times)

Offline JulyJim

• Multiple posting newcomer
cout - terminal font size ?
« on: November 22, 2016, 10:44:44 pm »
This is embarrassing, people asked this before and were referred to SYSTEM CMD!

Apparently C::B  standard C++ "console " /  output (cout) is "terminal" - not really spelled out somewhere as such. Or I missed it.

OK , window would make more sense in GUI IDE, but...

With all the menus I cannot find HOW to change the terminal font size.

The OS terminal font is fine , adjusted that  when I started using Ubuntu so I don't even remember how I did it.
Must have been easy to spot.

Can I get some  help with adjusting terminal font size when used as output by C:B?

And for clarity NOT the system terminal font size,
Thanks for your time.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: cout - terminal font size ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:05:20 pm »
1) cout streams to the standard output streams. What the OS does with this stream is left to him.
2) You can use multiple targets for the stream (at least on unix. On widnows it is a bit difficult, but possible)
3) What OS are you using? If you tell us this, we maybe can redirect you to more information. Codeblocks has NO influence on the terminal size. You only can change the terminal...

Offline JulyJim

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:42 pm »
 cout streams to the standard output streams. What the OS does with this stream is left to him.

Apparently "terminal" is not identified as Linux app, my mistake.

So when I invoke "terminal" by itself why is the font size different than when used by C:B  (GCC) as output?
If what you  are saying is correct - the font (size) should be same irregardless which way it is invoked - determined by OS ( Linux / Ubuntu) system setting.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:50:17 pm »
cout streams to the standard output streams. What the OS does with this stream is left to him.

Apparently "terminal" is not identified as Linux app, my mistake.
Not really, you wrote that you are on Ubuntu.
So when I invoke "terminal" by itself why is the font size different than when used by C:B  (GCC) as output?
If what you  are saying is correct - the font (size) should be same irregardless which way it is invoked - determined by OS ( Linux / Ubuntu) system setting.
Only if it is the same terminal(-emulator).
The default is xterm on linux (try it directly and you will see) and you can change it in "Settings -> Environment -> General settings -> Terminal to launch.." .

And this or vey similar questions have been asked a lot in the forum.

Offline JulyJim

SOLVED Re: cout - terminal font size ?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 12:16:01 am »

And why is it such crime to ask something again?
Digging thru ancient and in this case incorrect thread did not help.

If it is so hard for you to answer - just don't. Problem solved.

Yes, found out that "terminal" is very generic, the default C:D is XTerm and it is a snap to change the font size once you know it is XTerm.
To be fair - forum helped about 50% thanks.

I shall avoid asking again until I am 100% sure it has  not been asked before.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: SOLVED Re: cout - terminal font size ?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 06:12:41 am »
First: please learn to quote correctly, it's not possible to distinguish, between your content and content you quote from other posters.

And why is it such crime to ask something again?
Digging thru ancient and in this case incorrect thread did not help.

If it is so hard for you to answer - just don't. Problem solved.

Yes, found out that "terminal" is very generic, the default C:D is XTerm and it is a snap to change the font size once you know it is XTerm.
To be fair - forum helped about 50% thanks.

I shall avoid asking again until I am 100% sure it has  not been asked before.
Please (re-)read the forum rules, especialy (in your case)l:
This post is here to assist you in your Code::Blocks / C++ blues, by telling you what NOT to do. This is not to frighten you, but unfortunately we have to be that strict due to continuous mis-use and dis-respect.
[...]

4. Search before you post. If you've used other IDEs and you're moving to Code::Blocks, try reading the Wiki (e.g. http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ) at the homepage, and if you're confused on how to set up things, SEARCH THE FORUM. Probably the answer you're looking for is in there. Remember, Google is your friend :)

[....]

Finale note: Ignoring these rules may result in the topic being (silently) locked and/or even removed completely without any notice.

In case you wonder why we are so strict: I could say: "Search the forum" - as this has been discussed a lot. To make is short: By law we (the devs/moderators) are responsible for the content of our forum. This means we need to read all posts. If you want us to continue the development of C::B and have the time to answer some of the questions that are really related to C::B, apply the rules above. It's obviously a matter of time for us.

More general help how to use our forum you'll find here, too.

As also written very, very often: this is a forum ,where you can just press "Post" and your post is there immediately, but we (the moderators), have to read each and every post (in our sparetime) to make this forum possible.
That's one of the causes, we have rules like this.
And reqading posts like yours, without correct quoting; is harder, then to read others.
And to answer questions, that others have asked, and that are already answered (or the answer can be easily figured out by reading them) is a waste of our (rare) time.
We cannot do other more useful things in this time, oviously.

If yo don't want to follow our rules in our forum, just leave it.
If you don't like i

Offline JulyJim

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 02:58:24 pm »
I am all for rules, just don't like moderators who whine about the job they volunteer to do.
Users have "rulers" too, unfortunately moderators like you do not see that as two way street.
The forum is here to help users and questions , even repeated ones, MAY help someone else.
My rule is to not put up with improper - "I am the all powerful Oz"  -  attitude of moderators likes  you.
Comment like "if you do like it leave " are VERY OFFENSIVE  ( and unnecessary )  and generally user cannot reply to them without being labeled as " not following rules " as you did.
So - don't let this reply to be public - just keep it for yourself - it was met for you anyway.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 03:14:52 pm »
@JulyJim: Find a support site for your Operating System; this site is NOT a support site for your OS or your Compiler!!
This includes any application that your OS installs that is NOT part of the Code::Blocks app.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 03:22:10 pm »
@JulyJim:
Just a other arrogant internet user...
Jens has helped in over 7000 posts and he deserves a bit respect and also he deserves that user follow rules

I am all for rules, just don't like moderators who whine about the job they volunteer to do.
And i don't like user who are to arrogant to follow rules, refuse to show some interest in solving the problem and regardless  demand to get help... If you think a community works like this, then you have to learn a lot...

You are just to lacy to search with google for 20 min, because then you would have found the answer or at least you would have found the reason why it does not work for you. Hell, you could have read trough the options for 10 min and you would have found the answer. Do it like others: think about the problem, learn how things work and conclude to solutions.