Author Topic: codeblocks hangs in windows10 Home  (Read 7693 times)

Offline usergoodvery

• Single posting newcomer
codeblocks hangs in windows10 Home
« on: December 12, 2016, 02:51:40 pm »
Hi,
I have a standard installation of Windows 10 Home and unfortunately I have not been able to use the IDE at all. The moment I open a file for editing it freezes.
Are there known 'gatchas' on that environment?

regards

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: codeblocks hangs in windows10 Home
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 03:49:22 pm »
The problem is likely in an CB Plugin.

I would turn off the Code Completion Plugin and see if it is the cause.
If, that fails, I would turn off all plugins except for Compiler and Scripted Wizard.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline usergoodvery

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:03:25 am »
Thanks. I did disable that and I gotten a little further. It seems the IDE doesn't enjoy good support on windows platform, because I have not been able to save a test project I created... bit of bad luck I guess...

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:01:57 am »
C::B works fine on Windows 10 as far as we know.

What do you mean you cannot save a test project?
Which version do you use in the first place?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline usergoodvery

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:36:07 pm »
I toyed with a new project to get a feel for how the IDE works and I couldn't save its layout as i was exiting the IDE.I cannot remember the exact error message now.
But since I have tried again and that seems to have worked.
I am using the latest version published 16.01. I just noticed it is 32bit. Is there a 64bit one?

Coming from an eclipse user, my experience so far is far from being smooth sailing, especially importing an existing project wasn't intuitive at all, it did not recreate my folder layout, instead created some deep folder tree... code completion doesn't work either (I suspect that's because of the disabled plugin, if so is clearly major issue). Placed the mouse on a header file, right clicked hoping to find an entry that suggests it would open the file for me, did not find that.. highlited a function and asked it to tell me who is using it, couldn't do that either... now I could have screwed some in a massive way somewhere or else I must be missing something..

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 09:58:44 pm »
Then re-enable the plugin and try again.
The code completion is not state-of-the-art, but it works in most of the basic cases.
And it more often than not works in simple test projects.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 10:54:07 pm »
Hi,
I have a standard installation of Windows 10 Home and unfortunately I have not been able to use the IDE at all. The moment I open a file for editing it freezes.
Are there known 'gatchas' on that environment?

regards

I have observed many times under Windows 7 that the IDE can easily freeze if you open a slightly non-trivial workspace (e.g. from the 'recent projects' list on the front page) with several projects and start editing right away. It seems to me this happens if the code parser is not done yet. Then the only option is to crash the IDE, start again and keep the hands off the keyboard long enough to let things settle down.

crazybytes

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:20 pm »
When you have files or directories in your project that contains lots of large files, it scans these files continuously.
So move these directories one level up, above your project dir.