Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

small enhancement to statusbar - show current position of caret

(1/5) > >>

frithjofh:
hi everybody,

I made a small patch to make the status bar of the main window show the current caret position besides the line number and column number.

patch file and screen shot attached.

regards

oBFusCATed:
What is the purpose of this position?

frithjofh:
it helps when writing code for searching tokens or parsing text. often such code uses indices into the text to identify starting points and ending points of tokens. having the caret position shown on status bar helps a lot when tracking and assuring the correct behaviour of such parsing code

ollydbg:

--- Quote from: frithjofh on September 17, 2016, 08:49:59 am ---it helps when writing code for searching tokens or parsing text. often such code uses indices into the text to identify starting points and ending points of tokens. having the caret position shown on status bar helps a lot when tracking and assuring the correct behaviour of such parsing code

--- End quote ---
For example, when developing CodeCompletion plugin, I often need the such position value. Maybe other plugin devs need this feature too.

But for a normal C::B user, does he need that feature?

frithjofh:
i would not know... but the feature is very unobtrusive, and line number and column number are already there, equally useful or not to normal users

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version