Author Topic: Don't manage to install compiler  (Read 3466 times)

Offline HHahn

• Single posting newcomer
Don't manage to install compiler
« on: May 28, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
Some 30 years or so ago, I did quite a bit of programming (mainly for embedded systems). Then, in the early 90's, I started programming in C (MS VC6), for some five years or so. That is about twenty years ago now. So I am not a real beginner, but my experience has something like "worn out". Although I am retired now, I would like to pick up some basic programming again. As it is a (secondary) hobby only, I do not want to invest too much (time and/or money) into commercial compilers. I tried Dev-C. This did work indeed, but debugging is a absolutely primitive. The programme I made does work, but without a user interface so far (I can set parameters by editing the source code and recompiling, which is only acceptable for testing. But I could not find a user interface system that I could use here.

I now decided to switch to a better system, and I found Code::Blocks.
However, it does not manage to compile (it just crashes). This may mean that no compiler is installed yet (although the Dev-C compiler is stil there, but Code::Blocks doesn't find it.

Whatever I search now, I cannot find how to install the compiler into Code::Blocks. Can someone advise me, considering that I am NOT YET familiar with Code::Blocks, so references like "screen so-and-so" must be made explicit (use exact sreen and parameter names; where can I find it; ...).

Thanks in advance!
H. Hahn

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Don't manage to install compiler
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 03:42:23 pm »
we need some more information...
what operating system are you using? What compiler do you want to install? Where does it crashes? What is your source of Codeblocks (The exact name of the installer)?

greetings

Offline spectrum2me

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:07:50 pm »
Maybe you did what I did and got the version that didn't come with the compiler.  For new people there should be better instructions, and big signs saying here is the one all you new folks need it has the compiler.

Offline HHahn

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 03:51:07 pm »
we need some more information...
what operating system are you using? What compiler do you want to install? Where does it crashes? What is your source of Codeblocks (The exact name of the installer)?

greetings

My OS is Windows 10.
I want to install a compiler that "works": no hassle, no unexpected unclear questions for plugins or whatever, and so on. I have no special preference. Best is a compiler that is sufficiently complete (including all additionally needed items.) It must be able to generate and handle windows (mainly for setting parameters). If possible, it should also contain a debugger (or a debugger must be simply installable).
I will also need something like MFC (foundation classes) to make windows.
I hope I am not forgetting things...
Further, I installed Codeblocks from different sources, hoping to find one that does work... I'm not quite sure which one I am now trying to use. But I don;t mind to remove it and install another version or so. As far as I can see at this moment, I used codeblocks-16.01mingw-setup.exe from (as far as I remember) http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26
As this download seems to say that it somehow includes MinGW, I would expect that it simply co-installs MinGW.
I also tried Visual C++ 2010, which is said to be for free. But after installing (which requires an unbelievable amount of time), when I tried unsing it, it asked for all sorts of extra plugins (or so) te be installed.

The next step -- which I haven't even tried so far -- will be to find and use MS Foundation Classes or a look-alike, in order to be able to make windows for setting paramaters and the like.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:54:33 pm by HHahn »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 05:01:46 pm »
Compiler have nothing to do with windows (or better dialogues to not get confused with the os)... You need a extra library like wxWidgets or QT to make dialogues (or the windows (OS) API)
for ex.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgAaiBg4wEE

However, it does not manage to compile (it just crashes).
What crashes? Code blocks? It should not crash... If no compiler is installed it will display a yellow window in the bottom right corner telling you to install a compiler...
I installed Codeblocks from different sources, hoping to find one that does work... I'm not quite sure which one I am now trying to use. But I don;t mind to remove it and install another version or so. As far as I can see at this moment, I used codeblocks-16.01mingw-setup.exe from (as far as I remember)
uninstall and delete all installations of Codeblocks, and install only  codeblocks-16.01mingw-setup.exe

if c::b crash, please post the steps to reproduce the crash,
if you have problems with compiling please read this: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ-Compiling_%28general%29#Q:_How_do_I_report_a_compilation_problem_on_the_forums.3F
if your application crashes and not codeblocks, then you have some wrong code ;)

greetings