Author Topic: CB on Debian Jessie - Frequent shutdowns and error messages  (Read 4340 times)

Offline fguy

• Single posting newcomer
Greetings

Frequently CodeBlocks just shuts down without warning, usually while I am editing a source file. One moment it's there, next moment it's gone. I also frequently get the following pop-up message dialog

An assertion failed!

../src/common/strconv.cpp(3031): assert "Assert failure" failed in wxCSConv(): invalid encoding value in wxCSConv ctor

I am running Debian Jessie 8.4 on a Dell laptop. The problems have persisted through installations of CB 13.12 from the Debian repositiory, v16.01 from apt.jenslody.de, and also the latest night build dated April 13, 2016. It has also persisted through two different Linux desktop environments, Xfce v4.10 and Mate 1.8.1.

I'd really like to get this resolved. I use CodeBlocks all the time, and it worked great for me while I was still using Windows, but since switching to Linux it has been nothing but trouble.

p.s. my shutdown problem sounds like problem #1 that this guy had. http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,20603.0.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:04:43 am by fguy »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: CB on Debian Jessie - Frequent shutdowns and error messages
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:47:32 am »
You have to disable the Symbol browser in the Code completion settings.
It is known to cause crashes in wx30 builds as yours.

If the assertion persists after that, please share the file that is causing it.
This bug is probably the same as this one: https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/305/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:50:58 am by oBFusCATed »
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline fguy

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:23:23 pm »
Well, that was easier than I thought it would be. It's been several days without a recurrence of the problem, so I think we can call this one solved.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:46:41 am »
It is not solved, but work-around :(
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]