Author Topic: Graphical interface issue on Ubuntu Xenial  (Read 13496 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Graphical interface issue on Ubuntu Xenial
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 08:33:02 pm »
olivierG: Check the first item in the change log for the latest night build: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,22155.msg73145/topicseen.html

If you search for bugs in launchpad about code::blocks you'll find some tickets where I've mentioned that there are fixes for the issues. You can vote for these tickets to make ubuntu devs be aware that these are serious issues which needs attention. Until this happens we cannot do much. It is up to ubuntu developers to fix these now. We've done the best we could.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline olivierG

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 10:38:22 am »
Thank you!
So, if I understand well, the bug has been found and a patch issued, but nobody compiled C::B for Ubuntu yet?

In info about build 11176:

"UI: Fix redraw problem on ubuntu because freeze/thaw are used in a wrong way"

but also

"The 20 September 2017 build is out.
  - Linux :
   none"

I will vote for each & every ticket about this until we get a binary ;-)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline bolevole

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 11:33:35 am »
Hi,

I'm not sure that my problems are actually related to this topic, but I can't use Code::Blocks on Ubuntu anymore, because of graphical update issues.

I'm running Code::Blocks on Ubuntu 17.04 - 64 bits, and after a few seconds, the file tabs stop to update, then the projects tab, and sometimes the alert boxes for saving files (which locks up C::B). The "Compiler flags" panel in project build options is also blank.

Could somebody tell me whether there is a simple way to make it work again? I tried to recompile Code::Blocks, but it seems the procedure is far above my Ubuntu-related skills  :-[

Really, it'd be a life saver. I had to postpone all my projects on Ubuntu because of this issue, and I'm really in a bad situation now.

Note: because CB 16.01 didn't work, I tried to install a more recent version from Damien Moore's ppa. I now run version "svn 0" built May 9, 2017, but still getting the same results.

Thanks in advance for any help, tip or advice

Olivier G.

Also had some graphical problems on Ubuntu, some of those problems were fixed in latest nightly build.
To grab latest nightly use svn

Offline olivierG

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 12:08:30 pm »
Thanks!
I thought about rebuilding an updated version of CB from sources, but didn't dare, by fear of corrupting it all and end up with nothing.

But this morning I tried it anyway, and in spite of server problems at sourceforge, succeeded in bulding it.
Here is the procedure, for other newbies like me.

From a freshly installed Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit
- Install the most recent public version of CB
- Then:
Code
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk3.0-dev
mkdir ~/devel
cd ~/devel
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://repos.codelite.org/wx3.0.3/ubuntu/ zesty universe'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libwxbase3.0-0-unofficial libwxbase3.0-dev libwxgtk3.0-0-unofficial libwxgtk3.0-dev wx3.0-headers wx-common libwxbase3.0-dbg libwxgtk3.0-dbg wx3.0-i18n wx3.0-examples
sudo apt install subversion
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/codeblocks/code/trunk
cd trunk
sudo apt-get install libtool
sudo apt-get install autoconf
sudo apt-get install automake
./bootstrap
sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
./configure
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo gedit /etc/ld.so.conf
# add this line at the end:  /usr/local/lib
sudo ldconfig

Hope this will be of help

blockhead

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 11:05:46 am »
@olivierG
A huge vote of thanks to you for taking the trouble to post that! Ubuntu isn't my Linux of choice, but I was forced to use it on the only available (working) little netbook at present, and ran straight into the same graphics corruption problem - shame on you Canonical!  It took hours for the atom cpu to chomp through all that, but thanks to your post I now have a 32 bit code::blocks that actually works.

As the most up-to-date 32 bit Ubuntu is 16.whatever (Xenial) I had to make an odd adjustment. I think this was simply to enable Canonical's Xenial source repo, but it was so late at night that I'm not too clear on that right now.  Anyway, the adaption must have been obvious, and anyone who is faced with the same problem is urged to just go for it, as it's a very complex task that others have made surprisingly easy.

I missed your "- Install the most recent public version of CB" bit, and in fact removed the semi-functional CB with apt-get.. before starting, but the build completed anyway.  I'm not sure if this is in any way relevant.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:17:07 am by blockhead »