Author Topic: Graphical interface issue on Ubuntu Xenial  (Read 13383 times)

Offline Mpons

• Single posting newcomer
Graphical interface issue on Ubuntu Xenial
« on: May 02, 2016, 06:28:10 pm »
Hi,

I have recently upgraded my ubuntu distribution from 14.04 to 16.04 and reinstalled code::blocks with the solution proposed here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,21130.msg144325.html#msg144325. I am now having real troubble with the graphical interface, it appears that after some time things don't get refreshed properly, my tabs freeze but I can still navigate to some extent (if I click on the right spot, i'll see the right tab in my editor but the view of the tabs themselves won't change, if I close a tab I won't see it but it probably disapear from the tab list even though it looks frozen). If I want to open a parameter window (eg Settings/Compiler) I'll just get the frame of the window and it won't close even if I click the cross, my option then is to kill the codeblocks process.
I also tried the version in Ubuntu repos but I have the same issues.

I was wondering if people had the same problems I am having and if somebody could help me figure where it could be coming from. I'm working with codeblocks all day and it's a real hassle having to restart it every fifteen minutes or so.

I hope my description makes sense, i'm sorry if it doesn't. Thanks for your help.
Best,
pons.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Graphical interface issue on Ubuntu Xenial
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:19:33 pm »
Try disabling all the CB Plugins except for the Compiler Plugin.
If the problem goes away, then a CB Plugin is likely the cause.
I would then enable a single plugin at a time and see if you can figure out which one is the cause of the issue.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Mpons

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:33:49 pm »
I tried your suggestion with a lot of hope and conconviction, I even disabled the compiler but I still got the same problem. Am I really the only one with this problem?

Offline wtelam

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 01:48:08 am »
I am having the exact same problem.  I just joined this forum to see if I could find a way to fix it.  It appeared suddenly about 2 weeks ago, with Code::Blocks 13.12, which I have used for several months and really like a lot (under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS).  I have tried many uninstalls and reinstalls, purges, as well as manually deleting .codeblocks and all my project files, and installs via apt-get, the Ubuntu software center, and DMoore's PPA.  I finally resorted to formatting the hard drive and doing a new installation of Ubuntu (now 16.04 Xenial Xerus) then installing Code::Blocks fresh via the Ubuntu Software Center.  I did not see any dependency issues.  Same problem immediately reappeared.  I tried disabling all plugins except the Compiler, but no luck.  CB crashed when I opened the plugins dialog to check them.

I can easily reproduce it by starting a new project (Console Application in C++), opening main.cpp, then hiding and showing the editor tabs.  The tabs disappear and some lines from the code appear in their place when they are shown.  The same is true for hiding and showing the status bar.  After this, most of the menu items that show a dialog box will have the box come up blank and the program crashes and must be ended via the System Monitor.

I have attached a screen shot of the new project after the editor tabs and status bar are hidden then shown.  I am using a Dell THX with Ubuntu 16.04, freshly installed.  I have also attached a screenshot of my system about box.

I hope there is a simple fix for this.  It behaves like more WX version problems but I can't gt rid of it with a clean install, which is disconcerting.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 02:46:56 am »
Hi,

I have recently upgraded my ubuntu distribution from 14.04 to 16.04 and reinstalled code::blocks with the solution proposed here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,21130.msg144325.html#msg144325. I am now having real troubble with the graphical interface, it appears that after some time things don't get refreshed properly, my tabs freeze but I can still navigate to some extent (if I click on the right spot, i'll see the right tab in my editor but the view of the tabs themselves won't change, if I close a tab I won't see it but it probably disapear from the tab list even though it looks frozen). If I want to open a parameter window (eg Settings/Compiler) I'll just get the frame of the window and it won't close even if I click the cross, my option then is to kill the codeblocks process.
I also tried the version in Ubuntu repos but I have the same issues.

I was wondering if people had the same problems I am having and if somebody could help me figure where it could be coming from. I'm working with codeblocks all day and it's a real hassle having to restart it every fifteen minutes or so.

I hope my description makes sense, i'm sorry if it doesn't. Thanks for your help.
Best,
pons.

Are you using the PPA with the 16.01 release (codeblocks-stable) or the daily build PPA (codeblocks)? The daily build uses wx3.0 which is probably less stable. Try the codeblocks-stable PPA instead. (Or conversely, try the other way if you are using codeblocks-stable)

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 10:30:09 am »
I think I had something similar some time ago. In my case it went away changing the graphics driver. It seemed wxWidgets had some issues with the then version of nouveau drivers on the OS I was using (SuSE). Don't know if it may be of any help to you, though...
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 04:42:30 pm »
I believe Ubuntu 16.04 removes wx28 from its repositories, which might mean that C::B is being force to use wx30?

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »
I believe Ubuntu 16.04 removes wx28 from its repositories, which might mean that C::B is being force to use wx30?

I put wx2.8 into my codeblocks-stable PPA and the 16.01 version of Code::Blocks in that PPA is built against it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:14:58 am by dmoore »

Offline wtelam

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 12:41:10 am »
I installed Code::Blocks (CB) from DMoore's codeblocks-stable PPA (https://launchpad.net/~damien-moore/+archive/ubuntu/codeblocks-stable) as described in his earlier message in this thread.  I installed it under a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 and CB seems to be working fine.  No evidence of GUI instability.  This istalls CB 16.01 and it's nice to have the later version.

I used the Ubuntu Software Center after adding the PPA.  The Edit menu has been removed from the Software Center and is now accessed via System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other Software tab.  The PAA can be added there using the name in the above link and then the Ubuntu Software Center seems to find the correct build of CB.

It does seem that this is a wxwidgets 2.8 vs 3.0 problem and has been solved.  Many thanks to DMoore for being on top of this.

devsh2

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 05:06:13 pm »
This bug affects Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty as well, and I cant get anything from the PPA because of dependency conflicts (even when I try to use the xenial channel in software sources)

Is there an ETA on a zesty package??
Or some sort of a guide to compiling with wx2.8 ?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 06:29:50 pm »
It is relatively easy.
Download the package, make dir somewhere, execute configure (make sure to use some non-default prefix (--prefix=xxx)), make -jX, make install, then you should do the same with codeblocks. The configure step requires you to specify the path to the new wx-config and then make && make install. Same note as for wx's build - make sure to specify non default prefix to make it easy to remove everything later.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

shiprat

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 12:32:13 am »
If its 'relatively' easy, why not provide a 'relatively' useful guide? 

The problem of blank  Code::Blocks dialogs on Ubuntu seems to be a perennial, not occasional issue.  Obviously installing a precompiled  Code::Blocks binary is problematic.

Why not acknowledge this, rather than making time wasting suggestions like disabling plugins?

If  Code::Blocks does only work properly when built from source and linked to a known release of wxWidgets, how about explaining how to do this in detail in the distribution notes. 

Ubuntu provides plenty of opportunities to make this harder rather than easier than it should be.  It seems painfully ironic that using Code::Blocks is typically effortless on Windows and buggy on Linux!

Sorry to make such a grumpy first post.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 01:19:53 am »
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:17:51 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 02:38:18 pm »
Fixed in rev 11146 (I've also backported this to the release 16.xx branch).
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline olivierG

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 03:20:44 pm »
Hi,

I'm not sure that my problems are actually related to this topic, but I can't use Code::Blocks on Ubuntu anymore, because of graphical update issues.

I'm running Code::Blocks on Ubuntu 17.04 - 64 bits, and after a few seconds, the file tabs stop to update, then the projects tab, and sometimes the alert boxes for saving files (which locks up C::B). The "Compiler flags" panel in project build options is also blank.

Could somebody tell me whether there is a simple way to make it work again? I tried to recompile Code::Blocks, but it seems the procedure is far above my Ubuntu-related skills  :-[

Really, it'd be a life saver. I had to postpone all my projects on Ubuntu because of this issue, and I'm really in a bad situation now.

Note: because CB 16.01 didn't work, I tried to install a more recent version from Damien Moore's ppa. I now run version "svn 0" built May 9, 2017, but still getting the same results.

Thanks in advance for any help, tip or advice

Olivier G.