Author Topic: Install Code::Blocks on Ubuntu 16.4  (Read 9554 times)

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
Install Code::Blocks on Ubuntu 16.4
« on: April 24, 2016, 09:27:59 am »
Hello Developers.

Yesterday I have updated my Ubuntu version to 16.04. After that Code::Blocks was not working any more.
Thus I tried to reinstall it.

First I tried to install the release Code::Blocks 16.01. from the Ubuntu Software Center. But it hanged before asking me for the legitimation.
Than I tried to build it by my self. After checking out the latest svn revision 10836 I started configure in the trunk-folder and I've got the error message that wxWidgets is not installed what was the case before updating Ubuntu.   
After some investigations I have some doubts if wxWidgets 2.8.xy is still supported by Ubuntu 16.04. If you look for it at launchpad you will find as newest library one for 15.09.

Is it possible for you to update the Wiki content a little bit, that describes how build and or install Code::Blocks on Ubuntu. We had this discussion so many times before. But since I'm using Linux just from time to time I struggle with this every 6 month again when Ubuntu was updated.

Best regards,
                    Eckard. 

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
Re: Install Code::Blocks on Ubuntu 16.4
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 10:23:04 am »
Hello Jens.

I have added the key and updated the files as told in the info "read about installing".
Finally they write "Now you're ready to start installing software from PPA" but if I search in the launchpad Wiki for "installing" I find nothing helpful. Actually I already tried out this yesterday also.

May be that I'm so confused now that I don't see the most obvious things. But can you please describe how to install your package once I have updated it?

Thanks,
            Eckard.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 02:05:44 pm »
Hello Jens.

I have added the key and updated the files as told in the info "read about installing".
Finally they write "Now you're ready to start installing software from PPA" but if I search in the launchpad Wiki for "installing" I find nothing helpful. Actually I already tried out this yesterday also.

May be that I'm so confused now that I don't see the most obvious things. But can you please describe how to install your package once I have updated it?

Thanks,
            Eckard.
simply apt-get install codeblocks, or via synaptic, or via software centre just how you like...

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 08:26:19 am »
Hello Developers.

Since yesterday Code:Blocks works on my Ubuntu 16.04 again.

• I run an update of Ubuntu itself and this way a new version of the files of Code::Blocks 16.01 was downloaded.
    But without success.
  • Now I tried to de-install all Code::Blocks files by using the software centre as well as with synaptic (I searched for codeblocks by using the filter "name and description") 
  • By accident I found a way to install with synaptic wxWidgest 2.8.12 again (it was offered by the context-menu I opened for a Code::Blocks component in the search result of synaptic).
  • Now I installed Code::Blocks 16.01 by using the software centre again.

I assume that I had two problems:
  • Ubuntu is not providing wxWidgets 2.8.xy anymore but only wxWidgets 3.ab.xy. Furthermore once the older version of wxWidgets was installed some when before, it will be de-installed if a new major release of Ubuntu will be installed. Thus it is essential to install it again manually.
  • In the past I installed several versions of Code::Blocks (Provided by Ubuntu, self build svn revisions, ppa). This way I may have confused the system.

I'm not a regular linux-user. Actually I develop my projects on windows. But I use linux as a test-platform to ensure that my code contains no os-specific parts which make it incompatible. Thus an IDE is for me a tool and not part of the development. The big advantage of Code::Blocks is that it is available in several os (windows, linux, mac, ...) and it is easy to reuse its project-files. But for somebody who is not familiar with another os, it is difficult to make it run and I have this problem ones every 6 months if a new Ubuntu release appears. If I take a look to the forum I think I'm not the only one. Furthermore the associated wiki content seams to be not valid any more.

Thus please allow me to ask for two things:
  • Please update the wiki in a way that some body who is not familiar with a specific os learns how to de-install old Code::Blocks versions which don't work any more but which may disturb the os and how to install a new one. There are several possibilities like versions offered by the os, official releases,  nightlies or self build svn content. It will be useful to explain how this possibilities may interfere and how to avoid this.
  • Since wxWidgets 2.8.xy is not the current release any more please update Code::Blocks to use wxWidgets 3.a.x .   

Best regards,
                    Eckard Klotz.     

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 05:49:22 pm »
As far as I can tell you are not using a version of 16.01 provided by Canonical. The version in the Ubuntu 16.04 repository appears to be 13.12:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/allpackages?format=txt.gz

Code::Blocks download page currently links to my PPA: http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26#linux64

The PPA includes wx2.8 and Code::Blocks 16.01 is built against it.

I would edit the Wiki to include a link to my PPA, but don't seem to be able to edit that page.