Author Topic: Project Creation & Add Files  (Read 4076 times)

Offline chrismac

• Multiple posting newcomer
Project Creation & Add Files
« on: April 16, 2016, 06:05:19 am »
Before I report a bug, I wonder if anyone else has experienced Project->Add files not opening a files dialog ? I'm on Windows 8.1, 64bit, using the latest CodeBlocks 16.01 and a simple C file. Once installed, the project add files dialog worked for a bit, then refused to open later on. I tried rebooting the computer to no avail. Later exiting and restarting CodeBlocks IDE also didn't help. I couldn't create new project/s either - so i temporarily copied and modified a previous project XML file to create a new project. After all this, I tried opening two projects, which worked, and from then on i could add files to a project again - for the time being any way. Anyone seen this before ?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Project Creation & Add Files
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 08:20:55 am »
Such weird behaviour might be caused by antivirus-software.
Some av-tools really do not work good with compilers/ide's, that create and alter executables.

Offline chrismac

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 11:22:38 am »
Ok, for the record I'm using Eset AV & Firewall 8.0.319.0 , which hasn't given any trouble before. It's odd that Eset would stop interfering with Project->Add files after opening 2 projects (and closing the second), though you never can tell.

Offline chrismac

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 01:23:41 am »
What seems to be happening is that, though I've used File->New->Project to create a new project, it really only creates a new empty C source file, (using Console only mode), and the project itself isn't created; so therefore I can't add files to a non-existent project. Is this a bug or am i just a newbie to the CodeBlocks IDE ? If I limit a new project to File->New->Projects->Console application, then Build targets->Console selection in the Wizard, and not Files->C/C++ source , then I get the Dialog You need to open (or create) a project first. Which is what I was trying to do, rather than creating a new C file only, which is what normally happens. How do I create a new Project , to which I can later Add C Files ?

Before I report a bug, I wonder if anyone else has experienced Project->Add files not opening a files dialog ? I'm on Windows 8.1, 64bit, using the latest CodeBlocks 16.01 and a simple C file. Once installed, the project add files dialog worked for a bit, then refused to open later on. I tried rebooting the computer to no avail. Later exiting and restarting CodeBlocks IDE also didn't help. I couldn't create new project/s either - so i temporarily copied and modified a previous project XML file to create a new project. After all this, I tried opening two projects, which worked, and from then on i could add files to a project again - for the time being any way. Anyone seen this before ?

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:17:11 pm »
Where (which folder) are you telling CB to store these new projects?

I've experienced disappearing files when attempting to store them in folder "Program Files" and the root folder. My anti-virus (or Windows 10) silently removed them.

Offline chrismac

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 12:18:46 am »
My source code files and the project directory are a simple path -- E:\Chris\Dev\Cpp\FactorsCpp
The CodeBlocks Application directory is -- "E:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\codeblocks.exe"

I noticed on one occasion that File->New->Project did open a new Project,
but now i only create a new C/C++ source file as the Wizard isn't the Project Wizard but
only the source file Wizard -- even though all the wizard selections are for a new Project.
I get only this dialog now --
Welcome to the new C/C++ source file wizard
This wizard will guide you to create a new C/C++ source file.

Offline chrismac

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 12:49:54 am »
ps this applies to installed CB package -- codeblocks-16.01mingw-setup.exe
Release 16.01 rev 10702 (2016-01-25 19:50:14) gcc 4.9.2 Windows/unicode - 32 bit

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 05:59:41 pm »
I cannot recreate your problem on either Windows 7, windows 8.1, or windows 10.
Adding a file to a project, or creating a single file via File->new->file works for me.

My only guess is that your installation of CB is damaged, or you don't have write permissions in the folders your project is attempting to use.

Offline chrismac

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 12:32:51 am »
hmmm may be a little too obscure. But I've found a working approach.
File->New->Project->Build Targets->wxWidgets followed by Projects tab->wxWidgets in that order does cause it to open up the Project Wizard, [and not the other way around (File->New->Project->Projects tab->wxWidget followed by Build Targets->wxWidgets )]. If I also select File->New->Project->Files tab->C/C++ source then i get the second source dialog, as shown in attachments. It's going now so i'm satisfied. Thanks for helping to clear it up.