User forums > Help

Tutorial Request

(1/2) > >>

Micah:
This tutorial goes slightly beyond the scope of Code::Blocks, but I think that it would help a number of Code::Blocks users overall.

Given a fresh install of Windows XP/2000 (no additional software installed yet such as VC++, Dev-C++, etc.) how do you get everything setup and running so you can code wxWidgets applications with Code::Blocks?

I have spent the last 3 days trying over and over to get all the different parts to work together nicely, and I still don't have it figured out. :(  Preferably this tutorial would cover the free basic stuff:
MinGW
Code::Blocks
wxWidgets source tarball
openGL source tarball

Step One:
List here how to properly install MinGW for use in this scenario. There are a number of options as well as other side applications such as MSYS that most tutorials don't cover, but are very relavent.

Step Two:
List all the steps to install Code:Blocks and set it up for use with MinGW. This was actually the easiest part of the whole process for me over the past few days.

Step Three:
List how to properly compile wxWidgets in to both a staticly linked library and a DLL version. Personally, I would rather use a staticly linked library but I have yet to figure out how to get that working right (keeps asking for main()!)

Step Four:
List how to properly compile OpenGL from source. (I don't need this one, but I know it's a popular one).

Step Five:
This is the most important step. How the heck do I make it all work together! List here how to make Code::Blocks compile a sample application using MinGW and a statically linked wxWidgets library. This is the step I am currently strugling with, I can't get a working wxWidgets static library working properly with MinGW and Code::Blocks.

------------------

I understand that a project like this seems very specific. But as it is there aren't any good tutorials that take you step by step through the entire process in one place.  Having a solid tutorial would let the Gurus out there point to it when a user asks the ever so common question, "How do I get started programming GUI applications for free?"  All of the above stuff is open source and overall has a small footprint. Plus everything listed above is cross platform so the instructions should work similarly on Linux and MacOS X.

Thanks in advance!
-Micah Caldwell

rickg22:
Actually I haven't figured out how to compile wxWidgets to be a static library, either! :P
I remember when I tried I got a LOT of compiler errors. But now that I think of it, those errors were caused by a bug in the compiler process.

So I haven't really tried to build an app using the static library now. And yes, I agree with you, since this is an IDE and not a RAD (...yet). Of course, I'm interested in helping people compile their first wxWidgets application in a breeze.

Anyway what I did was this:

Step one.
Grab the latest MINGW stuff (including MSYS) from the MINGW site and install it under C:\MINGW.

Alternative: Donwload the Codeblocks + MingW bundle and install it.

Step two. During installation, Codeblocks will ask you for the mingw main directory. Point to the directory where you just installed mingw.

Step three: See the user forums about "compiling codeblocks" and "wxwidgets". There's a thread (can't remember where) about how to compile wxwidgets to use with codeblocks.

Step four: I don't know, never used OpenGL :P

Step five: How to make them work together.

Anyway, Mandrav and I are too busy fixing bugs (and documenting the code) for v1.0 that we don't have time to make a tutorial.

We are just two guys working on our spare time! :( WE NEED MORE HELP PPL!

PLEASE, IF ANYBODY CAN FOLLOW THE ABOVE STEPS AND GET SOME SCREENSHOTS, we'd gladly appreciate it! Please post your contributions here.

rickg22:
Actually I haven't figured out how to compile wxWidgets to be a static library, either! :P
I remember when I tried I got a LOT of compiler errors. But now that I think of it, those errors were caused by a bug in the compiler process.

So I haven't really tried to build an app using the static library now. And yes, I agree with you, since this is an IDE and not a RAD (...yet). Of course, I'm interested in helping people compile their first wxWidgets application in a breeze.

Anyway what I did was this:

Step one.
Grab the latest MINGW stuff (including MSYS) from the MINGW site and install it under C:\MINGW.

Alternative: Donwload the Codeblocks + MingW bundle and install it.

Step two. During installation, Codeblocks will ask you for the mingw main directory. Point to the directory where you just installed mingw.

Step three: See the user forums about "compiling codeblocks" and "wxwidgets". There's a thread (can't remember where) about how to compile wxwidgets to use with codeblocks.

Step four: I don't know, never used OpenGL :P

Step five: How to make them work together.

Anyway, Mandrav and I are too busy fixing bugs (and documenting the code) for v1.0 that we don't have time to make a tutorial.

We are just two guys working on our spare time! :( WE NEED MORE HELP PPL!

PLEASE, IF ANYBODY CAN FOLLOW THE ABOVE STEPS AND GET SOME SCREENSHOTS, we'd gladly appreciate it! Please post your contributions here.

Micah:
I now have everything working together at the same time I think. Tomorrow (getting late tonight) I will try to write up a tutorial (with screenshots of each step) so that others will not have to go through all the trouble I did.

After I have the tutorial written I ask that the Gurus out there look it over and help to get rid of the steps that aren't needed, as well as help to improve on any steps that could make things easier.

cyberkoa:
Micah , i shall help you to write up later, because I am also a newbie and feel that it is needed.

I have settled this problem last time but after I uninstalled the older version and reinstall the beta 6.0 , I face again the problem , I am now struggling to solve this problem. After solving , I hope I have time to help you to make the tutorial also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version