Author Topic: ERROR: You need to specify a debugger program in the debuggers's settings.  (Read 5313 times)

Offline stephawn

• Single posting newcomer
Using Code::Blocks 13.12 - Mac OS 10.11

New to code. Know very little. Please have mercy on me.

Upon trying to debug a simple program code::blocks reads "ERROR: You need to specify a debugger program in the debuggers's settings." Upon trying to do that via settings -> debugger ->... I have found the field in which to enter the .exe. Popup tells me .exe cannot be found on filesystem.

So I'm pretty sure I need to acquire a GNU debugger - or download a version of code::blocks that has it. Am I wrong already? 

A google search generated some advise for installing a GNU debugger with directions, unfortunately, too complex for me to execute at this time; steps like, "decompress gdb-6.6.tar.gz and extract the source files from the archive. Once the files have finished extracting, change your working directory to the gdb-6.6 directory that was automatically created in your build directory."

I'll be needing something more straightforward to proceed tripping my way through my basic C++ program. Any resources or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
stephawn

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: ERROR: You need to specify a debugger program in the debuggers's settings.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:04:58 pm »
I guess you'll need to install gdb through some ports/homebrew project. But I'm not a mac user, so this is all I know.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]