Author Topic: Improving the Wiki  (Read 30006 times)

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
Improving the Wiki
« on: December 20, 2015, 04:01:02 am »
I would like to edit the wiki pages.  The wiki main page tells me to log in with my forum username and password.  However, when I try to log in with my forum username I get a message saying that the username is not in use.  I do not see a way to register independently there.

I would like to improve the Wiki pages as they are not in all that great shape.

Thank you,
Bill.

Online ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Improving the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 04:22:07 am »
I would like to edit the wiki pages.  The wiki main page tells me to log in with my forum username and password.  However, when I try to log in with my forum username I get a message saying that the username is not in use.  I do not see a way to register independently there.

I would like to improve the Wiki pages as they are not in all that great shape.

Thank you,
Bill.
That's strange, it was an issue but should be fixed long times ago, I will write an email to our administrator to report this bug.
Thanks for the report. :)

EDIT: I don't have such issue, I can login to the wiki correctly.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 04:35:16 am »
Thank you for looking into it for me.

http://imgur.com/hdO7UYU

Improving the wiki is definitely something I can be competent at.  :)

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 04:58:00 pm »
Still unable to log into the Wiki.  Will post again tomorrow if the same error.

Thanks.  :P :)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:14:06 pm »
Since we upgraded to a recent wiki version, the plugin that allowed us to login with our forum-credentials is no longer supported...
So, at least for now, you have to create a new wiki user.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:31:10 pm »
Ok, thanks.  But - unless I'm completely blind (it has been known to happen), I just don't see anywhere to register on the Wiki?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 08:17:25 pm »
I just don't see anywhere to register on the Wiki?
I think he's right. :-)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 09:01:37 pm »
I just don't see anywhere to register on the Wiki?
I think he's right. :-)
That was removed, because it has lead to tons of spam in extremely short time:
I cleaned up the wiki and locked creation of new users to avoid this kind of spam in the near future...
Admins can create new users though. [...] :)
I can create an accout with a atemproary password, that will be send to your forums mail-address, for you,
Just confirm that the address is correct or PM me another address (and probably username).

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 02:16:19 am »
I can create an accout with a atemproary password, that will be send to your forums mail-address, for you,
Just confirm that the address is correct or PM me another address (and probably username).

Right on, yes please.  I just checked to make sure my forum email is correct and it is.  So if you could email me a temporary password there then that would be awesome.  For the Wiki username it would probably be best if it was the same as the forum: "headkase".  Thanks again!  :)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 06:36:56 am »

Right on, yes please.  I just checked to make sure my forum email is correct and it is.  So if you could email me a temporary password there then that would be awesome.  For the Wiki username it would probably be best if it was the same as the forum: "headkase".  Thanks again!  :)
A mail should be on the way.
If it does not arrive (even not in the spam-folder), the mailer is broken and I have to do it manually.
So please give feedback.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 07:25:18 am »
Thank you jens, I did receive the email and I have successfully logged into the Wiki with it!  :)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 07:52:35 am »
If it does not arrive (even not in the spam-folder), the mailer is broken and I have to do it manually.
The mailer was really broken, btw., but Yiannis fixed it yesterday.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 03:23:53 am »
Well, I gave this page: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows a good "once over."  I intend to move onto this page: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/MinGW_installation next.

Comments and criticism are welcome.

Online ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 05:19:07 am »
Well, I gave this page: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows a good "once over."
Great, I think I have edited that page several years ago, and now, you edit make the wiki better.

I intend to move onto this page: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/MinGW_installation next.
Comments and criticism are welcome.
That's would be a great contribution!
Thanks.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 05:35:48 am »
Right on, thank you ollydbg.  :)

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 02:14:40 am »
So, I gave this page: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/MinGW_installation A good "once over."  The last section, Development Tools, is all that survived out of the original page.  All the sections above it are rewritten and focus on one compiler: TDM-GCC, with the basic procedure then applicable to other compilers if the user considers TDM deficient in some way.

Edit: I pretty well completely gutted that last surviving section (Development Tools) as well.  It was a huge list of direct links.  I condensed that into two links to the main project pages - where if someone wants they can then find their tool instead of maintaining a list of soon-to-be-outdated/dead of links on the Wiki.  ZIP I did keep though, and updated the links so they are the most current.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:31:23 am by headkase »

Offline Quiss

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 12:31:41 pm »
I have just used wiki page(s) to build both wxWidgets and Code::Blocks, so far so good, thanks.

Maybe "-Wno-deprecated-declarations" could be added because there are lots of warnings like this one which increase the build time:
F:\Codeblocks\src\plugins\xpmanifest\windowsxplooknfeel.cpp|136|warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
I've used tdm-gcc-5.1.0 on Windows 10.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 09:33:29 pm »
I have just used wiki page(s) to build both wxWidgets and Code::Blocks, so far so good, thanks.

Maybe "-Wno-deprecated-declarations" could be added because there are lots of warnings like this one which increase the build time:
F:\Codeblocks\src\plugins\xpmanifest\windowsxplooknfeel.cpp|136|warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
I've used tdm-gcc-5.1.0 on Windows 10.

Would that need to be listed under building wxWidgets, Code::Blocks, or both?  I will rewrite the Building from Source page to better reflect items that may or may not be necessary for a specific instance.  In the mean-time you should - if you intend to make more contributions - request a Wiki account yourself!

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 03:19:21 am »
Cleaned up the optional items to use while building.  Please correct me Quiss if I did not add your option correctly to the page.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows#Build_wxWidgets_Support_Library

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 04:12:33 am »
Page is looking very nice.  You may want to mention the cb_release_type global var (I usually use -g but sometimes -O2). Edit: oops, I seem to be blind, it is already there.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:17:52 am by Alpha »

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 04:18:37 am »
Page is looking very nice.  You may want to mention the cb_release_type global var (I usually use -g but sometimes -O2).

Thank you.  The -g option is mentioned on the page but it is only said in text form.  Do you think I should add an image like the WX variable as well?

Edit: Saw your edit. ;)

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 04:24:20 am »
Hmm, one image should be fine.  Maybe it will be more visible, for people like me, with both bullet points are above the image.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 04:37:46 am »
Hmm, one image should be fine.  Maybe it will be more visible, for people like me, with both bullet points are above the image.

Done.  Also, the structure of the page that existed when I started improving it is still largely the same.  Credit goes to all the previous authors - I followed that outline and just improved the graphics and instructions, it was templated for me.  ;)  :)

Offline LETARTARE

• Lives here!
  • L'ami de l'homme.The friend of man.
    • LETARTARE
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 10:05:54 am »
Hello,
excellent work of clarification.
Happy New Year 2016.
Best regards.
CB-13483, plugins-sdk-2.25.0 : Collector-2.0.0, AddOnForQt-3.9.1
1-Win7 Business Pack1 64bits : wx-3.2.4, gcc-8.1.0,
2-OpenSuse::Leap-15.4-64bits : wx-3.2.4;gtk3, gcc-8.2.1,
=> !! The messages are translated by Deepl

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 02:57:08 pm »
Hello,
Happy New Year 2016.
Best regards.

Thanks.  Open development is about scratching an itch.  I refer to the compiling from source page often, so I had a vested interest in overhauling it.  ;)  The other two pages I've touched, how to use a nightly - lightly, and installing and configuring MinGW for Code::Blocks - heavily, are tightly coupled with the first page so those three I've done.  I've poked around in other parts of the Wiki but I won't let myself significantly modify a page unless I understand what is behind it.  So, I'm kind of searching for the next page at the moment.  :)  The Wiki is more extensive than it would seem at first glance but unfortunately there also appears to be a lot of information rot in it.  There's a lot there but it just doesn't seem to have been kept up-to-date.

A model of an excellent Wiki is the: Arch Wiki.  If the Code::Blocks Wiki could reach half the comprehensiveness of the Arch Wiki then it would be a true jewel to behold.  That would be more than a one-person effort however, any volunteers? ;)  Request an account! :D

Online ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 03:07:21 pm »
Hello,
Happy New Year 2016.
Best regards.

Thanks.  Open development is about scratching an itch.  I refer to the compiling from source page often, so I had a vested interest in overhauling it.  ;)  The other two pages I've touched, how to use a nightly - lightly, and installing and configuring MinGW for Code::Blocks - heavily, are tightly coupled with the first page so those three I've done.  I've poked around in other parts of the Wiki but I won't let myself significantly modify a page unless I understand what is behind it.  So, I'm kind of searching for the next page at the moment.  :)  The Wiki is more extensive than it would seem at first glance but unfortunately there also appears to be a lot of information rot in it.  There's a lot there but it just doesn't seem to have been kept up-to-date.

A model of an excellent Wiki is the: Arch Wiki.  If the Code::Blocks Wiki could reach half the comprehensiveness of the Arch Wiki then it would be a true jewel to behold.  That would be more than a one-person effort however, any volunteers? ;)  Request an account! :D
You really did a good job. I know that the document part of C::B is really old. Not only the wiki, but also the Latex style C::B manual inside the svn repo: docs. For me, mostly of my time is focus on the code part of C::B.  :)

Oh, look at the page: Code::Blocks download | SourceForge.net, it has two "Code" panels, one for SVN and one for Git. Who has enabled the Git?

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 03:11:49 pm »
You really did a good job.

Thank you.  :)  Like I said, I am going to be poking around until I find the next "right" page.

Edit: Didn't take long to find a topic that I can work with: Using Code::Blocks with a recent version of Visual Studio.  The current Wiki's reference the 2003 toolset.  I have Visual Studio 2015 Community installed so I have something concrete to test what I'm doing and then putting into the Wiki.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:20:28 pm by headkase »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 04:23:58 pm »
Who has enabled the Git?
That was me experimenting with bridging between GIT and SVN at one host (sourceforge) but that doesn't work well... well in fact it does not work at all. I though it would be nice to have the "golden" GIT repo at SF that automatically synchronises with the SVN repo. But this use-case is not supported by SF.

Offline Quiss

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 09:28:56 am »
Would that need to be listed under building wxWidgets, Code::Blocks, or both?
Both wxWidgets 2.8.12, wxWidgets 3.0.2 and Codeblocks.cbp. I have not build CodeBlocks_wx30.cbp so I can't tell if it is necessary or not.
Cleaned up the optional items to use while building.  Please correct me Quiss if I did not add your option correctly to the page.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows#Build_wxWidgets_Support_Library
It is correct; just missing in wxWidgets 3.0.2 section, that's all.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 10:47:16 pm »
Would that need to be listed under building wxWidgets, Code::Blocks, or both?
Both wxWidgets 2.8.12, wxWidgets 3.0.2 and Codeblocks.cbp. I have not build CodeBlocks_wx30.cbp so I can't tell if it is necessary or not.

It is correct; just missing in wxWidgets 3.0.2 section, that's all.

Ok, done.  The option is now said in all three places.  Is there anything I should change about it or is it good?

Offline Quiss

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 11:02:12 am »
It is good, thanks for your effort.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 11:50:07 am »
It is good, thanks for your effort.

Right on, you're welcome.  :)