Author Topic: Auto-generated file not dependent on compiler (chosen for build target)  (Read 3314 times)

Offline J.

• Multiple posting newcomer
I want to have a file pre-processed by two different applications (configured in build targets with different compilers), however the two sets of auto-generated files are simultaneously activated for compilation and linking. This regularly causes that the build process cannot be completed, since both auto-generated files are part of the linking list. 

Set-up when file .a is supposed to be precompiled by either prog1 or prog2 with different auto-generated files:
  • definition of two compilers cc1 and cc1 generating prog1: .a -> .a.cc1 (cc1) and prog2: .a -> .a.cc2 (cc2) (configured in 'settings > compiler > other settings > advanced options')
  • two build tragets bt1 and bt2 with compilers cc1 and cc2, resp., and build target file file1.a; cc1 set as project compiler
  • auto-generated files file1.a.cc1 and file1.a.cc2 are ALWAYS active for compilation AND linking regardless of selected build target
  • manual deactivation of auto-generated file, say, file1.cc2 for compilation and linking under build target bt1 possible, but not saved when CB project closed
So here my wishlist:
  • auto-generated files dependent on build target, i.e. on compiler associated to build target (potentially ignoring the project compiler)
  • separate configuration of autogenerated files to be compiled and/or linked (e.g. for a multi-step preprocessing only the last file in the preprocessing chain should be linked

I hope I am not missing anything here, but happy to see how I could configure CB as is now to get build target dependent auto-generated files.

Working on Win10, CB13.12 and CB nightly (21.11.2015/rev10595/win32)

Many thanks in any event,
J./

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
Re: Auto-generated file not dependent on compiler (chosen for build target)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 03:08:31 am »
I submitted a patch for this long ago but it is a complicated one including many other bug fixes and features. I will separate the features and bug fixes into smaller patches, hopefully in near future, but I don't think it will be included in 15.xx release.

Offline J.

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Auto-generated file not dependent on compiler (chosen for build target)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 12:49:29 pm »
Sounds good. Happy to test.