Author Topic: Splash screen  (Read 8935 times)

sethjackson

Splash screen
« on: January 20, 2006, 05:51:03 pm »
Hi I have noticed something with the splash screen that is odd. Here is what I did.

1. Compile C::B SVN, run update.bat, open C::B from the output folder.
2. Minimize the ouput folder while the splash screen is still showing.

Now look at the splash screen before it closes. It has a nasty background now. I tried to get a screenshot, but the splash screen didn't appear in the screen shot...... I took the screeny while the splash was up, pasted into Paint, and I got a nasty looking version of C::B...... Weird.  :shock: Anyone know why the splash has that ugly background?

Offline kkez

• Almost regular
    • WinapiZone
Re: Splash screen
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:04:24 pm »
You mean the image attached?
Well, i get this draw bug in RC2 too.. often the image gets redrawn, but the background is the last screen background (a window, the desktop, firefox...)

[attachment deleted by admin]

sethjackson

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:17:34 pm »
You mean the image attached?
Well, i get this draw bug in RC2 too.. often the image gets redrawn, but the background is the last screen background (a window, the desktop, firefox...)

Yeah I mean that.  :( I have the same experience the background is the last screen background like you said.  Umm how did you take the screeny? I couldn't get it to work for me.  :P

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 06:40:44 pm »
For me, it looks different. The bitmap is drawn correctly, only the background is not redrawn properly.

This is normal layered window behaviour, nothing to do about.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

sethjackson

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 06:54:20 pm »
For me, it looks different. The bitmap is drawn correctly, only the background is not redrawn properly.

Yeah mine looks more like yours thomas.

Waaaah.  :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:55:52 pm by sethjackson »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 06:56:25 pm »
Send your complaints to:

Bill Gates
1 Microsoft Drive
Redmont, USA

:lol:
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

sethjackson

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 06:57:12 pm »
Send your complaints to:

Bill Gates
1 Microsoft Drive
Redmont, USA

That has me crying man.  :lol:

geijt

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 07:44:29 pm »
Send your complaints to:

Bill Gates
1 Microsoft Drive
Redmont, USA

:lol: You mean:
Bill Gates (or Microsoft Corporation)
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399
USA

or call them @ 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 07:49:54 pm »
Sort of...  :)

But you know, you have to call him Sir William now. He's been knighted last year...

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 08:33:13 pm »
I'd rather call him Sir Mordred, or "O evil one", thanks.

takeshimiya

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 01:01:17 am »

No.
That is the way you can do "faking alpha compositing in linux", taking a screenshoot of what is below the window, thus simulating a real alpha on the image. Only recent cvs versions of X11R7 with alpha compositing activated and new video cards support real alpha compositing.

In windows is another history. Previos versions to Windows 2000 didn't have real transparency and had to do the same trick.
However, in 2000 it supports real transparency.

I wonder if some of you have noticed that wxAUI in 2000/XP haves real transparency when dragging a panel. That's not the case in other OS (Win 9x, Linux, etc).

So here the bug is only wxSplashScreen. Nothing to do with Bill Gates in this case (sadly). :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 01:08:36 am by Takeshi Miya »

sethjackson

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 01:13:08 am »
Interesting..... Yeah wxAUI has nice transparency......
I have seen windows apps do the same thing (messed up backgrounds, and weird stuff like that)......
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 07:42:37 pm by thomas »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 01:34:14 am »
Oh darn! Sorry, I meant to quote, but pressed on "modify"... :oops:

...and there's no undo.

EDIT: guess that's a sign to go to bed...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 01:39:14 am by thomas »

sethjackson

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 02:56:00 am »
Oh darn! Sorry, I meant to quote, but pressed on "modify"... :oops:

...and there's no undo.

EDIT: guess that's a sign to go to bed...

Ok not a problem let me fix it (I guess you wrote that other stuff so I'll leave it so you can copy and paste.)......

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 07:42:05 pm »
Here goes, sorry again  :)

Quote from: sethjackson
I have seen windows apps do the same thing (messed up backgrounds, and weird stuff like that)......

That is because they suffer from the same problem. The above screenshot was taken on a Windows XP system, and I could show you the same effect with Acrobat Reader or a dozen other programs.
There is no "real" transparency in Windows 2000/XP. Layered windows (that's what MS calls transparent windows) work exactly the way Takeshi described as "faking". The only difference is that the OS does the work, and you are not aware of it. In theory, layered windows should update the bitmap when the background changes by redrawing everything except the topmost window, but in practice, it does not work reliably.

It is of course still possible that wxWidgets adds to the problem by having its own problems. But it does not work properly if you program it in Win32, either. I have done it before, and it works 80% of the time, but not reliably.