Author Topic: C::B corrupts project layout  (Read 10914 times)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: C::B corrupts project layout
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 12:28:27 am »
jens
I did not debug it, and reading from unallocated memory was my speculation about such possibility. The point is that the layout attributes a still changed, if the layout contains missing files for whatever reason (might be a common situation btw., e.g. when switching between multiple git branches). I have no idea where the changed values actually come from. Hence the speculation. But the bug is worked around, not fixed.
Steps to reproduce ?
Without speculation !

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 12:45:21 am »

jens
[...]
the new values are read from some unexpected memory locations. So the bug is worked around, but still seems to persist and could get in the way later, e.g. as a crash resulting from a read from unallocated memory.

So you should be more clar in your statements.
And please tell me why you think the bug is unfixed and why you think it can result in read from unallocated memory.
And please be more specific and do not jsut guess what happens.

Offline l_inc

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 12:52:44 am »
jens
Steps to reproduce ?
Same as before. Open and close the attached project from the first post. The incorrect result are changed values in the layout file. E.g. the cursor position value for the file "../aaq/138.c" is initially 1530, but after closing the project it becomes 3322. CB svn 10621.

And please be more specific and do not jsut guess what happens.
I thought, I was very specific: "The layout attributes are not continuously changed anymore. But I'd like to note that these still are modified as long as EditorTabsLayout contains those missing files". That's the bug description. And it's the same bug as it was before.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 02:38:23 am »
[...]
E.g. the cursor position value for the file "../aaq/138.c" is initially 1530, but after closing the project it becomes 3322. CB svn 10621.
[...]
It's vice versa and the size of 138.c is just 1530 bytes, so the cursor position is correct after closing the project and was wrong before.
I would not say, that it is an issue.

I don't see other cursor-position changes, but changes in the open-state (for non existing files) and changes in the top-value (only one editor can be active at the time in one frame obviously).

Offline l_inc

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 02:24:58 pm »
jens
It's vice versa and the size of 138.c is just 1530 bytes, so the cursor position is correct after closing the project and was wrong before.
Oh, this is embarrassing. Especially because I double checked that it wasn't vice versa. I remember to have seen more changes in the layout of other projects, but I probably won't be able to reproduce that anymore.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 03:44:24 pm »
quote author=l_inc link=topic=20667.msg141690#msg141690 date=1450185898]
jens
Oh, this is embarrassing. Especially because I double checked that it wasn't vice versa.
[/quote]
It was late last night (at least here), but you can download your project and look at the size of the file and what the cursor-position is in the layout-file before opening the project.

I remember to have seen more changes in the layout of other projects, but I probably won't be able to reproduce that anymore.

Again nothing concrete.
I stop the discussion here, because it leads to nothing.

Offline l_inc

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 09:33:50 pm »
jens
It was late last night (at least here), but you can download your project and look at the size of the file and what the cursor-position is in the layout-file before opening the project.
And how do you think I checked it before? Telepathy? When I explicitly say, it's my mistake, what's your reasoning to recommend to check it again?

Again nothing concrete.
It's amazing how you manage to continuously misunderstand simple statements. Yes, I almost explicitly said that I currently had nothing concrete anymore. Thank you for rediscovering that, Sherlock.

I stop the discussion here, because it leads to nothing.
Good for you. But understanding this one post earlier would be even better.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 12:59:23 pm »
Good for you. But understanding this one post earlier would be even better.
Please be gentle. Remember that most people here are no native speakers, so misunderstanding can easily happen.

We know that there is a bug and how to reproduce. If you can provide additional information to track it down, please tell.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 08:30:53 pm »
If the EditorTabsLayout-part is broken, this might be.
BTW, what I noticed
- if you have two projects open with
- both having a single editor open (two editors in total),
- close C::B and inspect the layout part
- you see in one project e.g.:
|dock_size(5,0,0)=202|
...and on the other one:
|dock_size(4,0,0)=202|dock_size(5,0,0)=202|

Note the repetition of the dock_size in the second layout. If one editor of each project is open, there should not be 3 docking sizes, right?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ