Author Topic: Libiconv-2.dll missing and can't compile.  (Read 8988 times)

Offline LieutenantIvan

• Single posting newcomer
Libiconv-2.dll missing and can't compile.
« on: September 21, 2015, 05:02:10 am »
Allo

This is my first post on this forum. Sorry if I was supposed to introduce my self on another board but I do need this problem fixed. Also sorry if I have posted in the wrong area, I'm not sure if it is a bug, something involved with MinGW or Code::Blocks itself.

INTRO
Before I get into describing the situation, I've started to get into learning C (that's right, not C++) a couple of days ago. I've been learning from Alex Allain's website www.cprogramming.com. I decided to use Code::Blocks with MinGW as his website recommended. I downloaded the 'codeblocks-13.12mingw-setup.exe' binary and installed it and set it up the way on the website http://www.cprogramming.com/code_blocks/.

SITREP
First it had that 'Auto-detect' problem which the way I found out to fix was on the website which said to fix it by going into 'Global Compiler Settings' and clicking 'Auto-detect' which it actually fixed that problem and found the MinGW folder. But later it came up with a message.
"
"The program can't start because libiconv-2.dll is missing from your computer.
Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
It comes up with this message every time you open up Code::Blocks or a project.
And I have reinstalled Code::Blocks two times and I have looked in the MinGW 'bin' and 'libexec' folders and there is 'libiconv-2.dll' in both folders.

Any way if you ignore this message continue to use Code::Blocks and try building a code it comes up with this in the 'Build log'.
Code
-------------- Build: Debug in CleNet (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

mingw32-gcc.exe -Wall -g  -c "C:\Users\*****\Documents\1INTERAM (C.2;\GRAMNET\CodeBlocks\CleNet\main.c" -o obj\Debug\main.o
Execution of 'mingw32-gcc.exe -Wall -g  -c "C:\Users\*****\Documents\1INTERAM (C.2;\GRAMNET\CodeBlocks\CleNet\main.c" -o obj\Debug\main.o' in 'C:\Users\Peter\Documents\1INTERAM (C.2;\GRAMNET\CodeBlocks\CleNet' failed.
('CleNet' is the name of my project.)
I'm not sure if this problem is related to the 'libiconv-2.dll' problem.
I don't think its a problem with the actual code becuase its just the default one it comes up with the printf saying "Hello World!".

I really want this to be fixed please since I've learn totally all of Python and I think C would be a good language to move onto since (what I have learnt up to i/o and variables) it is a very similar language in concept apart from the (difficult) syntax a Python user might find, but I think I'll get the hang of it if I could start PRACTISING it when this problem is fixed!

I have contacted Sir Alex Allain himself but he seems 'absent' ( last activity on his website was in 2011!).
I have searched on google for a solution and have came across similar ones involving 'libiconv-2.dll' but not at the same situation.

If this problem is 'unfixable', then could anyone suggest anyother compilers for C, most of them only do C++, but I heard of an 'Intel C' one which I haven't heard much information on how to use.

Please Help.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:03:44 am by LieutenantIvan »

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
Re: Libiconv-2.dll missing and can't compile.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 11:42:34 am »
Inserting your compiler's path into the system path will probably solve the 'libiconv-2.dll' problem. The problem is cb uses the compiler assigned to the project to parse the project for code completion purposes but fails to launch the parser with correct paths. It's a known bug.

For the 2nd part, can you please edit your post and switch the quote tags to code tags (the one with the '#' sign) for the build log. It seems your project path isn't displayed correctly.
Code
C:\Users\*****\Documents\1INTERAM (C.2;\GRAMNET\CodeBlocks\CleNet\main.c
The problem might be a character issue in your path.

Offline LieutenantIvan

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 12:03:00 am »
Sorry I'm a bit new to Code::Blocks, can you tell me in more detail how to do that?

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 03:24:24 am »
It's not related to cb, it's about windows. I can't give you detailed instructions on how to do that because it's time consuming and it's not allowed here as it's not related to cb. Please search for 'change system path on windows (your version)' or similar on google and add your compiler's 'bin' folder path to there.

For your 2nd problem, I see a semicolon on your path, is that correct? Also does your username include any non-ascii characters? If yes then those might be the problem, you may try with a simpler path for your project and try again. Also make sure you have write access to your project's folder.

Offline LieutenantIvan

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 06:16:13 am »
Thanks much obliged!