Author Topic: When is the next version coming out?  (Read 51264 times)

Card

When is the next version coming out?
« on: August 12, 2015, 01:21:09 am »
I've always liked Code::Blocks, and I've used it for years. The latest version, 13.12, came out over a year and a half ago (quickly approaching two!). Has the development stopped? Or can we expect a huge update with various dark themes and multi language and scripting support? :D

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: When is the next version coming out?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 01:26:21 am »
Development hasn't stopped. Just there is no official release.
You can check the nightlies to see what are the improvements.

The dark themes stuff isn't happening, because no one is contributing themes as far as I know.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Croydon

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:40:14 pm »
Code::Blocks should really move away from Sourceforge after all what did happen and is happening there.

Also the project team should provide more regular new information, the project seems dead for everyone who isn't digging really deep into it.

I would recommend to move to GitHub and also open source the website, so people can also help with that. The current one is outdated and looks aged.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:45:57 pm »
I'm not sure how the site works, but if you're interested in helping improve the look we could probably think how you can do it.

Also if you follow the night build subforum or the code history page on sf.net you'll know that there is activity in this project.
Also we have some clones of the main repo on github, so you can follow them. Mine is manually updated every 2-3 days.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 03:03:27 pm »
Hello Croydon.

Code::Blocks should really move away from Sourceforge after all what did happen and is happening there.

What are you meaning???

I would recommend to move to GitHub and also open source the website, so people can also help with that. The current one is outdated and looks aged.

Changing the provider would not help to update the website if the developer decide that it is more important to spent the effort in the product itself (what I definitely prefer). As far as I understand it you can add some pages in the wiki or at least you can provide you information in the forum.

... the project seems dead for everyone who isn't digging really deep into it.

If clicking on the forum-button is digging deep I ask my self what amount of information you expect on the main-page and what kind of confusion this causes for a new-bee.

The project had already to move since the provider used before has closed his service. And I would recommend definitely not spent some effort to change again especially if I think about what this means for older users which already know where to find what and who are using SVN.

Best regards,
                      Eckard. 

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:19:38 pm »
Also the project team should provide more regular new information, the project seems dead for everyone who isn't digging really deep into it.
Well on SourceForge, with every nightly you have a new news entry. And according to the statistics (downloads / accesses) the projects seems well represented and acknowledged.

However, surely we could do better. :-)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Croydon

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 06:04:37 pm »
I'm not sure how the site works, but if you're interested in helping improve the look we could probably think how you can do it.

Also if you follow the night build subforum or the code history page on sf.net you'll know that there is activity in this project.
Also we have some clones of the main repo on github, so you can follow them. Mine is manually updated every 2-3 days.

I'm not really a good designer, but I could change outdated stuff and other minor things. However, e.g. the GitHub workflow makes contributing so much easier. People don't want to invest 2 hours just to get started if they don't want to become long run contributors. It's less about me, but more about attracting more contributors in general by reducing the formal steps. You can't simple fork, commit and create a pull request and discuss the changes on SourceForge.

An inoffical mirror is one thing. An offical mirror where I can send requests is another thing  :)

Hello Croydon.

What are you meaning???

SourceForge is modifying offical installers from popular projects. They're adding adware to it against the will of the project owners. See for e.g.:

Gimp: http://www.gimp.org/news/2015/05/27/sourceforge-what-the/  & http://www.gimp.org/news/2015/05/27/gimp-projects-official-statement-on-sourceforges-actions/
VLC media player: https://blog.l0cal.com/2015/06/02/what-happened-to-sourceforge/
Notepad++: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/notepad-plus-plus-leaves-sf.html

You can't trust a platform anymore which does stuff like that.

Changing the provider would not help to update the website if the developer decide that it is more important to spent the effort in the product itself (what I definitely prefer). As far as I understand it you can add some pages in the wiki or at least you can provide you information in the forum.

Again, switching to GitHub reduces the barrier for contributing. The developers of CB don't need to concentrate that much on the website. But when people create pull requests with reasonable changes I'm pretty sure they getting welcomed by the team  :)

... the project seems dead for everyone who isn't digging really deep into it.

If clicking on the forum-button is digging deep I ask my self what amount of information you expect on the main-page and what kind of confusion this causes for a new-bee.

Easy, the website has a news section. So I'm expecting that it's getting regular updates. Also the RSS feed depends on these news and the landing page gives always a "more offical" impression than a forum to the visitors.
Also it contains a lot of dead links and the offical last stable release is two years ago. So yes, just talking about the landing page, one can't really see any progress on the project.

The project had already to move since the provider used before has closed his service. And I would recommend definitely not spent some effort to change again especially if I think about what this means for older users which already know where to find what and who are using SVN.

Well, users (not CB developers, not people who self-compile) don't care where the source code is.
People, who just grap the source code because they compile it on their own, doesn't really care either. Moreover, you can still perform a svn checkout on a GitHub repository, so this group of people doesn't need to change anything, except the URL.

It would be a change for CB developers, yeah. But honestly changes are normal and not avoidable. Of course, don't do everything which would be theoretically possible, but effort < benefit is given in this case more than once.

And when I should give a prognosis then I would say that SourceForge is getting closed down in a few years. Many, many projects are migrating away from SourceForge and SF offers nothing which isn't replaceable or even better somewhere else.
The same did happen with Google Code, but at least Google Code didn't modify projects or displayed "download now!" advertising which leads to malware.

Well on SourceForge, with every nightly you have a new news entry. And according to the statistics (downloads / accesses) the projects seems well represented and acknowledged.

However, surely we could do better. :-)

Right, but from time to time there should be a summary, a posting about where the jouney is going, the "big picture" only the team can see.  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:29:48 pm by Croydon »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 07:11:49 am »
However, e.g. the GitHub workflow makes contributing so much easier.
I hear that so many times... However with SVN its the same:
1.) Checkout
2.) Change
3.) Run the command "svn diff > my.patch" in your working copy
4.) Post "my.patch" to the patch tracker.
The only "issue" is, that if you create new files you'll need to add a "svn add mynew.file" command before 3.).

I don't understand why this is too hard or harder than GIT. I still believe whoever wants to contribute can take these steps, too. Nevertheless we have GIT mirrors, so what is this all about, actually?

And btw: In 95% of the cases we have to modify the patch because the C::B style is not followed or the change is buggy. So not simply "pulling" is also an important quality assurance!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:13:35 am by MortenMacFly »
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline Easior Lars

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 07:34:01 am »
I don't understand why this is too hard or harder than GIT.
I don't agree with you. If I clone a repository by GIT, then I can change some files and commit them. Next time I can continuous to pull and merge modifications to local branch. However, I'm afraid that I can't commit and merge any modification in local repository when I use subversion as a non-privilige user.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:46:27 pm by Easior Lars »
Development Environments:GCC+CodeBlocks+wxWidgets
Developing Languages:Bash+Python+C/CPP+LaTeX
Developer Utils:Emacs+GIT+OpenSSH+GPG
OS:Mac OS X, Gentoo/Kali Linux/Fedora/CentOS, MS Windows
Blog:http://easior.i11r.com

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:18:50 pm »
I'm afraid that I can't commit and merge any modification in local repository when I use subversion.
If that is the major advantage you would like to achieve then why don't you simply make a GIT clone of the SVN repo using git-svn?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 01:33:04 pm »
I'm afraid that I can't commit and merge any modification in local repository when I use subversion.
If that is the major advantage you would like to achieve then why don't you simply make a GIT clone of the SVN repo using git-svn?

On windows it can take a long time on a slow machine; when I started doing it. It was normal to take more than 36 hours.
But, I am now dual booting windows (with Debian 8 ) and it takes much less time to do all the svn2git steps on Linux and just clone my repo on windows.
Takes less than 2 hours of work on Windows.

My Git Repo is here https://github.com/stahta01/codeblocks_svn2git_metadata

Tim S.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:41:27 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline teto

• Almost regular
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 03:18:31 pm »
I don't know for others but I've stopped visiting/downloading from Sourceforge due to these events. Even before that, the site looks bloated with ads, and the interface old ("bad" old) IMO.
I've never worked much with SVN because it was so hard to work with, any merge failed and the necessity to have an internet connection was pretty bad. Then I discovered git and never looked back: better merging  (surely subversion improved that during the past 4/5 years I've not used it) and being able to play with commits/branches locally, having different remotes to allow for private and public patches etc... is just mandatory for big patches.

I also find the github workflow very good.

git-hg works but I wonder how fares git-svn, I imagine the backends are very different.
And btw: In 95% of the cases we have to modify the patch because the C::B style is not followed or the change is buggy
In nearly all projects I know, the uploader has to fix his patch himself. I believe this is a good approach as it makes future contribtuions more likely (and with github, updating the patch does not clutter communications, you usually just force a  push and github notifies that the PR has been updated).

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 02:07:58 am »
Why do you care for svn merges, when contributing to cb?

Also there are several git clones of the svn repo, you can use them to contribute.
The only requirement are:
1. keep your branches rebase-able, so they can be integrated in the main repo.
2. post pull-request here or in the issue tracker on sf.net, not github, so everybody can see them.

I agree that the recent practices of sf.net are a bit alarming...

p.s. This is my git clone of the main repo https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf, it is kept up to date manually and this is the only repo I use, so it is known to be working.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 08:21:09 am »
To summarise: You can choose between GIT and SVN. Pick your favourite and start contributing! :-)

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 09:56:35 am »
Development hasn't stopped. Just there is no official release.

Why not? Is the development version so buggy that it can't be released? This is getting on my nerves.