Author Topic: Code::Blocks vs Visual Studio  (Read 11605 times)

Offline kinddavid

• Single posting newcomer
Code::Blocks vs Visual Studio
« on: July 28, 2015, 04:11:44 am »
I find VS far superior to Code::Blocks from my recent experience. CB doesn't even have compile as you go feature so that you can see while writing what errors you have. What am I missing here?

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
Re: Code::Blocks vs Visual Studio
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 04:33:58 am »
Not everybody has the amount of development cash that Microsoft has to throw at a product.  CodeBlocks does its job rather well for me.  It worked out of the box after extracting a mere 56MB worth of files.  Visual Studio could never dream to be so lightweight.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:55:09 am »
CB doesn't even have compile as you go feature so that you can see while writing what errors you have.
Not entirely true: Clang based CC.  However... that is still highly experimental, and I wish I had time to work on stabilizing it.  It has been a while since I was able to do anything there :( .

C::B is light while supporting a decent set of IDE features, and if you remove all the plugins you do not use (which for me, is often over half), startup is insanely fast.

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 01:04:07 pm »
@alpha: Your plugin should have a higher priority than CB's own CC plugin imo as the latter is getting slower and laggy for me when used on huge projects (like CB). I think the main problem with yours is that it locks CB during parsing (I think) and apart from that I'm getting an overflow assertion which I couldn't figure out why. I can provide patches for simple things like color configuration and other simple things if you're interested in.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 02:17:05 pm »
I think the main problem with yours is that it locks CB during parsing (I think) [...]
Yes.  I made several attempts to use cbThreadPool, but I must not be understanding it properly since they all resulted in either instant crash or deadlock.  Hopefully I will be able to give a try at plain wxThreads soon.

I can provide patches for simple things like color configuration and other simple things if you're interested in.
Pull requests always welcome; I will review as quickly as able.