Author Topic: Help me please, I can't even get started learning programming  (Read 8606 times)

Offline CrumblingAway

• Multiple posting newcomer
I am running Code::Blocks version 13.12 on Windows 7. The compiler I use is GNU GCC Compiler.

When I simply try to build and run the first and simplest program, "Hello World", I get the error in the build log "----------- Build: Debug in Project (compiler GNU GCC Compiler) ------------" (without the parentheses of course).

Build log:
----------- Build: Debug in Project (compiler GNU GCC Compiler) ------------

I have already tried following the instructions on both the troubleshooting and FAQ pages, regarding building the project from the command line, which, assuming I did everything right, did not work (then again, I am not tech-savvy, only learning). I also tried selecting "Full Command Line" in the "Computer Logging" space under "Other Settings" in the "Global Compiler Settings" section, but it didn't help me with the problem.

As to a previous suggestion that I don't know what a compiler is: from what I figure, a compiler, well, compiles. It translates the lines of code we write into the ones and zeros the computer can understand so it can then build the program from it (correct me if I'm wrong).

Bottom line, I really want to get into programming, and it's frustrating that I have to deal with this "hindrance" from point one.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Help me please, I can't even get started learning programming
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 08:07:31 pm »
Till you give info on the real problem no one will be able to help.

Did you try to run your program?
Did you install a compiler on your computer?

Since, you are on windows if all else fails the rebooting your computer is always worth trying!

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:10:39 pm »
See: Basics of Code::Blocks.
See: What is a Compiler.
See: Nightly Sub-Forum.
See: TDM-GCC.

The Basics link is a bit about Code::Blocks.  The What is a Compiler link talks about compilers.  The Nightly Sub-Forum has the recent versions of Code::Blocks, much newer than 13.12.  And TDM-GCC is a separate compiler to download and install and use with the Nightly version once you have your head wrapped around it.  If in doubt get the 32-bit TDM-GCC.  Code::Blocks 13.12 is very old now, it was released in 2013, so you really do want to move to a recent Nightly for many improvements since.  I really think official releases should be more often than they are but hey, it's their program.  Just use a Nightly - they are released semi-regularly.

Offline CrumblingAway

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 08:41:41 pm »
I simply followed the instructions, simple as they are, from a video by Therealboston. Nothing complicated: enter the website, download the version with the complier, install Code::Blocks, try to build and run the "Hello World" program, which is already included in Code::Blocks.
So I downloaded, installed, set the settings as required, spent hours trying to figure out the problem with no results.
And I don't know how much clearer I can make this, I really don't.
I. Can't. Build. And. Run. The. Program.
When I click "build" or "build and run", it just shows me this message in the build log:

That's it, end of story. Nothing else happens. I don't know what else you expect me to write. There is nothing else. I click, the message appears on the bottom part of my screen in the build log window and that's it. Nothing else happens.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 08:44:16 pm »
Also, Python is a great first-language.  It was designed as "Computer Programming for Everybody."

See: Official Site (Download and install x86 (32 bit) Python 3.4.3.
See: WingIDE 101 (Basic IDE that supports debugging and is free for learning.

Install Python first then WingIDE 101.

Once you have both installed, head over to: Learn Python.

Seriously, if you are at the very beginning like you seem to be then C/C++ is not the friendliest language to start with.  C/C++ is about 20 times faster than Python but that shouldn't concern you very much when you're learning basic programming constructs.  And Python, even though it's slower, is still fast enough for many uses.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 08:50:23 pm »
I simply followed the instructions, simple as they are, from a video by Therealboston. Nothing complicated: enter the website, download the version with the complier, install Code::Blocks, try to build and run the "Hello World" program, which is already included in Code::Blocks.
So I downloaded, installed, set the settings as required, spent hours trying to figure out the problem with no results.
And I don't know how much clearer I can make this, I really don't.
I. Can't. Build. And. Run. The. Program.
When I click "build" or "build and run", it just shows me this message in the build log:

That's it, end of story. Nothing else happens. I don't know what else you expect me to write. There is nothing else. I click, the message appears on the bottom part of my screen in the build log window and that's it. Nothing else happens.

Post a screen shot.  Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard when that is shown and open a paint program and paste that into a new image.  Then upload the image to a image host and give the resulting link here.  Open up Settings -> Compiler -> Toolchain Executables, and take a screen shot of that too and post the link here.  You are either just "building" without running the program, or your toolchain is not configured properly.  But, Python..

Offline CrumblingAway

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 09:03:48 pm »
http://imgur.com/oKycADv
http://imgur.com/YFUYJvV

The first link is to the program with the build log message, and the second is to the Toolchain Executables.
Again, it's not a problem that should even be happening.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 09:06:08 pm »
Did you reboot your computer as I suggested?

If you did, the likely cause is anti-virus software on your computer.

Tim S.
--

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 09:09:21 pm »
I second the anti-virus possibility.  I've never run into it myself but I definitely recall reading about it somewhere.  Check your anti-virus' "quarantine vault" or like and see if your programs ended up there.

Offline CrumblingAway

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 09:55:25 pm »
Rebooted, several times even, and as far as I can see, it hasn't been quarantined by the anti-virus.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 10:12:33 pm »
I do not understand the issue why then.  When you are in the Toolchain Executable settings, without doing anything else does clicking the "auto detect" button give a success message?  If so, then they should be working.  Also, to rule out the obvious, you are clicking the "build and run" button and not just the "build" button right?  JUST to rule out the obvious.  Also, your project files aren't in a UAC protected location right?  Like "Program Files"?  If they are then move them to another location like "C:\Cpp".  Non-privileged programs cannot write to UAC locations.

Offline CrumblingAway

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:54:50 pm »
It shows the message after pressing either "build and run" or "build", so logically the issue is with the building, since it doesn't even get to the running part, as it didn't build anything to begin with.
And the project is in a simple folder on the desktop, could that be the problem?

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 11:07:43 pm »
Your desktop folder is within your user in C:\Users so that is not a UAC protected location - not the issue.

The only thing I can suggest is uninstall 13.12 (which will also uninstall the compiler) and install the nightly and TDM-GCC 32 bit as given earlier in this thread.  Run the nightly and set up your toolchain executables manually to wherever you install TDM-GCC.  Both the nightly and TDM-GCC are MUCH newer versions of everything than what you got with the 13.12 package.  13.12 is oooollllddd.

Before running the Nightly, go to C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming and delete the CodeBlocks folder.  That is the old configuration for 13.12 and you want to start fresh with the Nightly.  AppData is hidden so when you are in <Your User Name> click on the breadcrumb trail (at the top of the explorer window, which folder you are in) and it will change to an absolute path and you can add "\AppData" to it and press Enter and then you'll be in that hidden folder and then go into Roaming from there.

If you have the same issue with the combination of the Nightly and TDM-GCC then the issue is something to do with your Windows installation itself.  If you don't then it was just an issue(s) that got fixed along the way with the much newer nightly and compiler suite.

But, Python.. :P ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:09:47 pm by headkase »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 12:31:08 am »
From my directions I wrote many months back.
https://github.com/stahta01/stahta01.github.io/blob/master/CodeBlocks/CB_Trouble_Shooting/CodeBlocks%20MinGW%20GCC%20Troubleshooting.txt

If you follow the these directions; you can confirm a good MinGW GCC installation, or not.

Part III. Run the test batch files to confirm a good MinGW Installation
A. Download zipped file.
https://github.com/stahta01/stahta01.github.io/blob/master/CodeBlocks/CB_Trouble_Shooting/MinGWHelloWorld.zip
B. Unzip the file.
C. Read the readme.txt file.
D. Run the batch files.

Edit: It might still fail because of Anti-Virus software stopping MinGW GCC.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:22:07 am by stahta01 »
--

Offline CrumblingAway

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 12:46:56 am »
I downloaded the .rar, but how do I know if the batch files work? Here's what happens: I double click the simple1, a window opens with a lot of text and at the end it says to press any button, upon doing that two new folders appear, one with a file I have nothing to do with, and another which briefly opens a window that says "Hello World" and then closes. When I double click simple 2, again a window with a lot of text appears, I press an arbitrary button, and the window just closes. Does that mean they worked?

Also, I press the "main.c" file which is included in the .rar that I download, it opens up the "Hello World" program in Code::Blocks, and when I build and run it, it actually works. What does that mean?

Offline CrumblingAway

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 01:21:23 am »
Also, I downloaded the latest Nightly build, followed the instructions, opened Code::Blocks, but the same message appears when I try to run "Hello World":
Build: Debug in CrumblingAway (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)

I have no idea what else there is to do, it's as if this program consciously wants me to never learn programming.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 05:42:10 pm »
[...]
 but but not new to C++, compilers, or IDEs and am having the *exact* same issue that CrumblingAway is.  There is definitely something wacky here...here's how I duplicated (or ran into) the problem:

[...]

Hopefully this rings a bell with someone and gives enough information to figure out what's going on.

This only show, that you do not read what the problem of the OP is, it's obviously totally different (at least the erro you show here) and that you don't know much about c++.

And please, please post log-content with copy and paset in code-tags (the button with the "#" in the forums editor) and not as screenshot.

Your error is simply a (beginners) programming error, much too trivial to discuss.