Author Topic: Installing wxwidgets/wxsmith for CodeBlocks 13.x  (Read 6725 times)

Offline blipton

• Multiple posting newcomer
Installing wxwidgets/wxsmith for CodeBlocks 13.x
« on: May 31, 2015, 05:42:49 am »
Rookie question, but I can't seem to find any up-to-date method that works for making a wxwidgets project.

I've installed wxMSW-3.0.2_vc90_x86_ReleaseDLL which I thought would have the binaries for CodeBlocks MinGW in Windows... but the project wizard in CodeBlocks didn't find what it's looking for.. perhaps the install was for MS VC9 only? 

So then I found that the pre-built dlls are included with the purchase of the 'C++ Application Development with Code::Blocks' ebook..  but it's a few years old, so would prefer to find something a bit newer.

The wxPack (https://github.com/rjpcomputing/wxpack ) seems like it's more than just the latest wxwidgets dll's.. it's nearly a 1GB download.   Is this what I need to install??

I can build an SDL project using MinGW fine, so I don't think the issue is with CodeBlocks  (although I wish the necessary files had been automatically included!)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Installing wxwidgets/wxsmith for CodeBlocks 13.x
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:50:51 pm »
The compiler bundled with C::B 13.12 is TDM GCC 4.7 or 4.8 (I'm not sure which version).
So you need a matching binary release of wx widgets.

Keep in mind that the wizard in 13.12 might not be compatible with this release of wxWidgets.
You have to either modify it to suit your release (it is a simple squirrel script you can edit) or you can try a night build.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:43:28 pm »
Step 1. Is the decide on the Compiler you are going to use.
Step 2. Is decide on the version of the Compiler you are going to use.
Edit: Added steps 3 and 4.
Step 3. Is decide on the version of the wxWidgets library you want to use. (CB wxSmith works better with wxWidgets version 2.8 at this time)
Step 4. Is to build or download the wxWidgets binaries

Your post stated two different compilers; vc90 means  the wxWidgets library was compiled with a Microsoft compiler (MSVC) version 9.0 trying to use MinGW GCC will not work because wxWidgets is a C++ library.

You can often mix MinGW GCC and MSVC when using C only code; but, because of C++ name mangling it does NOT work with C++.

FYI: I did post directions somewhere to get CB code wizard to work with wxWidgets 3.0 binaries.
Edit2: The nightly CB Wizard had minor issues working with the wxWidgets 3.0 binaries the last time I tried it under Windows.

Tim S.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:08:32 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline blipton

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 05:55:21 pm »
 Looks like there's at least a simple, but proprietary solution around creating wxwidgets:
http://www.dialogblocks.com

Although this approach suffers from being dependent on the company for updates, rather than updating whenever wxwidgets changes.   I guess it's a matter of deciding if $90 is worth the ease of use?  And/Or why not go with MS Visual Express if getting tied to a commercial solution!

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 06:43:37 pm »
As far as I know DialogBlocks is not an IDE, but an UI editor that spits source files you should compile separately.
So you should first sort out compiling wx based projects and then bother with the UI editor.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:14:18 pm »
As far as I know DialogBlocks is not an IDE, but an UI editor that spits source files you should compile separately.
So you should first sort out compiling wx based projects and then bother with the UI editor.

Reading about DialogBlocks, it appears to support making or maybe using Makefiles.
Edit4: I have found no where that says it supports wxWidgets 3.0.0 or higher.

So far, it mentions wx 2.8.12 several times.

Edit1: I just downloaded the trial version the highest number in the wizard is 2.9.4 and the lowest is 2.4.0
Edit3: In another spot the wx version goes from 2.4.0 to 3.1.0

Edit2: It appears to support multiple compilers; no idea how it supports them.
MS Visual C++
Borland C++
Digital Mars C++
Watcom C++
MinGW GCC

Not sure what these are for the Msys says only needed when using GCC configuration; not sure if the same is true for Cygwin
MSys
Cygwin

Tim S.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:32:06 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline blipton

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:47:52 am »
Looks like it might be possible to use Datablocks on any version of wxWidgets.  Accoding to tech support, "Where DB uses versions, you can simply type in the version to match the wxWidgets version. Not all wxWidgets 3 controls are supported, but often you can use foreign controls (basically wxWindow) and change the class name to match the required class, and DB will generate the code to create the control."

I'll have to check out the trial, thanks!