Author Topic: the Font of codeblocks which i build looks too ugly  (Read 8726 times)

Offline Lev

• Multiple posting newcomer
the Font of codeblocks which i build looks too ugly
« on: May 08, 2015, 11:22:37 am »
why does the font of Code::Blocks which i build with MinGW(GCC5.10) on Win8 look so ugly!

Who can tell me how comes it!

what should I do?I just want the Code::Blocks 64bit.........

my Screen resolution is 1920*1080

So it looks more ugly !

Many Thanks!!!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:26:22 am by Lev »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: the Font of codeblocks which i build looks too ugly
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 11:28:50 pm »
Why do you build cb yourself?
Does the night build look the same?
Why are you using wx3? It is not fully supported, yet!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Lev

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:47:26 am »

I just want to use the 64bit cb!

Offline Lev

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:52:22 am »

so you mean I can solve this problem with wx2.8?But i can't find  CodeBlocks_wx28_32.cbp in the project

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 09:55:12 am »
Why? Is there any practical reason for this desire?
C::B rarely uses more than 200-300mb of memory.

so you mean I can solve this problem with wx2.8?But i can't find  CodeBlocks_wx28_32.cbp in the project
The default Codeblocks.cbp file is setup for wx28. The wx30 projects are experimental at the moment, because the porting to wx30 is an on going project.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Lev

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 02:15:03 pm »
Why? Is there any practical reason for this desire?
C::B rarely uses more than 200-300mb of memory.

The default Codeblocks.cbp file is setup for wx28. The wx30 projects are experimental at the moment, because the porting to wx30 is an on going project.

Because it's said that the 64bit applications  run faster! It will cost me less time to  launch the 64bit CB!

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »
Because it's said that the 64bit applications  run faster! It will cost me less time to  launch the 64bit CB!
Generally speaking, it's true, but for C::B, it's not so evident.
I compile myself C::B, both as a 32 bits application and 64 bit application, both with wxWidgets 2.8.12 (compiled also in 32 or 64 bits of course, even if some people say that wxWidgets 2.8.12 is not 64 bit fully compatible. As I said, I'm probably lucky :D because I never met a problem with that, but may be one day ...).
I can say that there are no real differences with those two C::B versions. I tried to make sevaral time mesurements, to see if C::B 64 bit is more rapid than C::B in 32 bits, if the launch time, or the load time for big projects is better or not, and my conclusion, is that I don't really see differences : Sometimes 64 bits is faster, sometimes it's the contrary.
Don't forget also that you can developp 64 bits applications even with C::B compiled in 32 bits. Don't forget also that C::B is an IDE, not the compiler (but it needs one !).

gd-on
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:46:35 pm by gd_on »
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 04:04:04 pm »
64-bit cb compiled with wx2.8.12 starts up ~2 secs faster than 32-bit, at least for me and I haven't noticed any extra slowness on any other part. For the time I've been using the 64-bit build (a couple of months as of now), I've experienced only 1-2 random crashes which is not more than the official nightlies. I'm using 'o3' optimization and a patched wx2.8.12 though.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 10:08:48 am »
Two seconds faster? It shouldn't even take two seconds at all.

You can gain much more both in startup time and overall speed if you remove all the junk that comes with Code::Blocks which you don't ever use. Unluckily, as a software grows and matures, the cruft that comes with it grows, too. Code::Blocks is not one of the worst offenders (Microsoft Office, Windows, and Firefox come to mind) but it is not immune to that effect either.

Compiling in 64 bits gets you close to zero benefit, but it causes some obscure problems (works 98% of the time, crashes 1% of the time, corrupts data 1% of the time) with wxWidgets 2.8 due to stuff like passing pointers as integers and the like internally.

Disable or uninstall a dozen plugins that do nothing useful, or 35 lexers for languages that you do not use (and some of which you've probably not even heard of). There's about 50 new project templates for languages and toolkits that you likely don't use (those aren't loaded at startup, but they still make your everyday workflow slower by needlessly offering you options that you are never going to want and forcing you to scroll to find the ones you need).
Have you ever written a program in Hitachi ASM? Do you program in Cg and write LaTEX documents with Code::Blocks? Seriously? Verilog? How many times per year do you need an XP Manifest created? Do you write programs with wxWidgets at all (if no, what do you need wxSmith for)?

Why do you have Code::Blocks load these files every time it starts up?

Do you regularly start projects that use SFML and SDL at the same time (or Ogre and Irrlicht at the same time), and you write programs in native OpenGL and DirectX and using GLFW too, all at the same time? Sometimes, many choices are good, but sometimes they're not.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 01:17:14 pm »
Two seconds faster? It shouldn't even take two seconds at all.
Unfortunately it's my ancient computer.

Offline mageia

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 12:20:55 pm »
I use wx3 because the menu font look better than wx2.8 under windows,I hate bitmap font!!!I only build codeblocks and smartindent,it works pretty good~~~,but this sounds like your windows system font issue?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:28:05 pm by mageia »

Offline Lev

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 07:44:26 am »
I use wx3 because the menu font look better than wx2.8 under windows,I hate bitmap font!!!I only build codeblocks and smartindent,it works pretty good~~~,but this sounds like your windows system font issue?

i am using the win8 and  I never changed the default font!Maybe it has something to with the language of my OS! I'm a Chinese!so ....

The CB you built looks perfect!

Offline Lev

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 07:48:48 am »
Generally speaking, it's true, but for C::B, it's not so evident.
I compile myself C::B, both as a 32 bits application and 64 bit application, both with wxWidgets 2.8.12 (compiled also in 32 or 64 bits of course, even if some people say that wxWidgets 2.8.12 is not 64 bit fully compatible. As I said, I'm probably lucky :D because I never met a problem with that, but may be one day ...).
I can say that there are no real differences with those two C::B versions. I tried to make sevaral time mesurements, to see if C::B 64 bit is more rapid than C::B in 32 bits, if the launch time, or the load time for big projects is better or not, and my conclusion, is that I don't really see differences : Sometimes 64 bits is faster, sometimes it's the contrary.
Don't forget also that you can developp 64 bits applications even with C::B compiled in 32 bits. Don't forget also that C::B is an IDE, not the compiler (but it needs one !).

gd-on

The Linux OS has the official CB of 64bit!

Offline mageia

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 10:39:54 pm »

i am using the win8 and  I never changed the default font!Maybe it has something to with the language of my OS! I'm a Chinese!so ....

The CB you built looks perfect!
holy smoke!!!is only chinese care about font?haha,i have replace simsun.ttc and my os is windows 10 ...maybe CB default use simsun.ttc ?