Author Topic: Text Resolution changed in Editor  (Read 7068 times)

Offline and4cb

• Multiple posting newcomer
Text Resolution changed in Editor
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:55:15 pm »
Hello -- How can I fix the text resolution in the Editor and on the Start Page?

I have been using the Release 13.12 for a long time, with no problems.  Then a couple of days ago, the text resolution on the Start Page and in the Editor changed in a bad way; hard to read - fuzzy.
I changed the font in the Editor to Arial, Courier, then back to New Courier.  I also changed the font size.  Nothing helps the resolution.  I did accept a Windows Update recently, but none of my other programs are affected, and even the CB menu labels are not affected.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Attached are screen prints from the Start Page and from the Editor.
OS = Vista Home Premium; Coding Language: C; CB Version = SVN 10122; Compiler = MinGW32 gcc 4.7.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit; Debugger name and version: GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Text Resolution changed in Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:17:02 pm »
Did you change the zoom? Try ctrl + mouse wheel...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline and4cb

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 11:00:45 pm »
Thank you for your suggestion.  Using the zoom does allow me to make the text large enough to read, but the text resolution is still obviously not right.  Could the change have been caused by the Windows Update?
OS = Vista Home Premium; Coding Language: C; CB Version = SVN 10122; Compiler = MinGW32 gcc 4.7.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit; Debugger name and version: GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:30:15 am »
Is the font used for the preview text (next to the choose button) in the Settings dialog the correct size?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline and4cb

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:28:29 am »
Yes, I checked the font size of the preview text, and it is the correct size.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:32:25 am »
i think i had this problem with a buggy video card driver....

Offline and4cb

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 07:18:33 am »
Thank you for your responses.  Apparently, this new ugly text is something that I cannot change.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 08:33:01 am »
You can also try to update to a nightly buil. But i dont think that this is a bug with c::b.

You can also try to delete your config file. It is somewhere in user\username\appdata\roaming\codeblocks\*.conf

greetings

Offline and4cb

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:53:25 am »
Thank you, BlueHazzard.  I will try these suggestions as soon as I get time.

Offline ouch

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:00:55 pm »
Did you ever get this fixed? Really looks like windows turned off "smooth edges of screen fonts" in the advanced system properties dialog.

Offline and4cb

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 06:16:20 am »
Hello ouch -- Thank you for asking, but no, I did not get this fixed; the problem still exists.  After a lot of research on the internet, I did play with font smoothing in the ATI Catalyst Control Center, as well as the clear type settings under Effects in the "Window Color and Appearance" (using Vista).  I reset all of my settings to the factory default.  At least now, when I use the "System" font in the CB editor, I can read my code.  The debugger and compiler text is still hard to read.  By the way, I am now using the nightly version 10122.

Now, the poor quality text also appears in Excel and WordPad.  The only other clue I have is that in my display settings, the computer shows my monitor as Samsung -- I did have a Samsung External monitor connected to my laptop for a brief period, but not currently.

Bottom line is that this does not appear to be a CB issue.  But if you have any other suggestions, please do let me know.

Offline ouch

• Almost regular
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 09:20:57 pm »
What is graphics card? And is it a card or an onboard chip?

Well actually, what I would do is to uninstall the video drivers and then re-install them. That will set your video settings back to their defaults. If it still looks messed up then it's a windows setting doing it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:41:31 pm by ouch »

Offline and4cb

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 04:56:45 am »
Hello ouch:  Thank you so much for your ideas.  The graphics card appears to be "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650".  I do not know how to determine the answer to the card vs. onboard chip question.  Your suggestion about re-installing the video drivers sounds perfect.  I have never uninstalled drivers before.  Is this something you could tell me how to do easily?  If not, I will research on the internet when I have some extra time.  I am very grateful for the guidance you have provided so far.

Offline and4cb

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 04:13:42 am »
The text resolution changed after a Windows Update.  And, great news, the text resolution is fixed since the Windows Update from last night.  At least this time, Microsoft fixed something that they had broken previously.

Thank you to all who offered suggestions.